Problem with prism in OM-2

thmk

Well-known
Local time
8:18 AM
Hi,

I just checked one of my Olympus OM-2 and found that there is some serious problem with the prism. My English is not good enough to explain so I attached a picture. Did someone with OMs see a similar defect when looking through the finder? I have two OM-2 with this problem but this one is the worst :-(

Would this be repairable?

Cheers
Thomas-Michael

Attachments

• prism_defect_OM-2.jpg
    prism_defect_OM-2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 0
I had a new prism fitted to my OM-1 when it was CLA'd by Camtech in the US ... it only added $50.00 to the repair so they're not a super expensive part.

Looks like you have something growing in there! Anyway the OM prism is one of the easiest to remove and clean so might want to give that a try ;)

Looks like deteriorating foam smearing on the prism. Apparently a common problem with OM-1 and 2s. The prism can be replaced by one of the OM-10 etc. series, I believe.

Many thanks for the link. I will contact a local repair man if he can handle this with reasonable costs because I have to left hands concerning mechanics. And I am sure he should have some replacement parts from other OMs which passed away for other reasons...

Cheers
Thomas-Michael

The foam surrounding the prism breaks down and damages the silver coating on the prism.

See http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/tutorials/FoamRemoval/index.html

You can replace the damaged prism with one from an OM10, often found very cheap on ebay (but use one that has broken, please!).

I just got an estimate of 125 USD for the replacement of the prism. Repair is really no problem, but not cheap. Guess I will have to wait for the moment.

Last edited:
What you see is the rotten foam eating through first the paint layer then the aluminum coating of the pentaprism. Best fix is to replace it (use OM-10, OM-G, 20, OM-PC, 40) but often, infected areas can be scraped off and cleaned. John

What you see is the rotten foam eating through first the paint layer then the aluminum coating of the pentaprism. Best fix is to replace it (use OM-10, OM-G, 20, OM-PC, 40) but often, infected areas can be scraped off and cleaned. John

And that's the word from the best man in the business! :) (see http://www.zuiko.com/ )

The good news is that the camera will function fine even if the image in the viewfinder is less than perfect, so you'll have time to put away a little money for the repair. But when you have the work done, and the rest of the camera checked over and adjusted, you'll have an as-new camera again.

OM2n's are cheap as chips. You can regularly find them in the sub-$100 range all over the internet. Throw that one away and get another one.

OM2n's are cheap as chips. You can regularly find them in the sub-$100 range all over the internet. Throw that one away and get another one.

I disagree with that advice. While it is true that OM-2n cameras can be bought cheaply on the Internet, simply buying another one probably is not the answer. All OM-2n cameras were built with the prism foam originally and unless it is removed (almost none sold on the Internet have had this done and if they have, they will be much more expensive), the problem will recur again. Your real options are to have the prism cleaned/replaced or learn to live with the problem.

BTW, OM-2n cameras are really terrific cameras, which can last for decades more and are readily repairable. So, in the long run, it probably is worthwhile having yours cleaned and fixed up IMHO.

Not sure, I've had a few Oly's and they all worked perfectly and cost under $100. I wouldn't dump money into fixing a camera that's so cheap I'd consider it disposable.

EVERY 1N and 2N have prism foam, and to avoid problems, it should be removed. Plain OM-1 chrome above 1,110,000 were made withOUT foam. Around 1,630,00, the plain OM-1 became the 1N, made WITH prism foam. Plain OM-2 chrome above 500,000 have no prism foam. Around 600,000 it became the 2N. Serial number ranges are approximate. John

Last edited:
BTW - John is too modest to blow his own horn.... but if you check his site,

http://zuiko.com/,you will see that he will overhaul the complete camera for less than

you are being asked for the repair. You will end up with a better-than-new OM.

No connection, other than a very satisfied customer 5X over.

Out of curiosity, if the coating on the prism is aluminum, what would be the impact on the view in the finder if a prism were silvered instead? Would that significantly brighten the finder and bring it close to or ahead of something like the Leicaflex?

You would have to replace the prism. It's outer coating has been damaged by rotting foam under the top cover. LC4086 is the part number, long discontinued. Look for good prisms also in OM-10, OM-G, OM-20, OM-PC, OM-40. John

The OM2n is the most marvellous camera. Even if it is turned off it will meter the shot and take it in good light. Clever layout of controls. I find the bodies too compact, but a small size is what they were aiming for. Mine was serviced in 2008. I have more confidence in an old camera that's been cleaned and lubricated. Don't want it seizing up on a holiday. I know the history and the internal state of mine.

Back