Official Fuji M adapter

noimmunity

scratch my niche
Local time
12:33 AM
I received the M adapter late in the day, just before I leave. I probably shouldn't be posting willy-nilly, but here are some first images and impressions.

Sonnar 40 by areality4all, on Flickr

Sonnar 40 by areality4all, on Flickr

ZM 18 Distagon by areality4all, on Flickr

Elmar 24 by areality4all, on Flickr

Elmar @ infinity by areality4all, on Flickr

The mechanics of the M adapter are superb. No play when mounted. The function button on the adapter allows easy access to menu options for adapted lenses, including focal length, distorition correction, and illumination correction.

Framelines are difficult to see in bright sunlight. I haven't yet checked to see if there is a way to brighten them.

Corner smearing is evident on the wides, especially, but is much less severe on the Elmar 24 than on the ZM 18. Given the DOF on this lens, I think it will make a pretty sweet set-up for zone focusing

These images were taken hand-held at ISO 6400 (!), except for the one at infinity.

It is a pity that the XP1 sensor was not developed with microlenses. The user-definable settings of the official M adapter make the use of M lenses a tantalizing proposition. It is fairly easy to toggle between OVF and magnified EVF view for focus.

It will be fun to use wide M lenses through the OVF in zone focus mode for non-critical work, as well as normal lenses for portraiture.

happy apart from frame lines outdoors

happy apart from frame lines outdoors

Hi
I've had the adapter for a few days, while happy around the house with visible frame lines but outdoors I had to switch to evf. Then Fuji goes announces the 85 f1.4 equiv :bang: and either 23 or 28 :bang::bang:.
I'm leaning towards using the fuji's 95% and occasional M use.
More thoughts and pics later

Sven

So, what kind of frame lines does the adapter allow you to have with m-mount lenses? How accurate are those frame lines?

So, what kind of frame lines does the adapter allow you to have with m-mount lenses? How accurate are those frame lines?

4 preset frame lines and two custom settings.

I just got mine today. My two customs currently are for cv 15 and 40.

The 15 ends up with yellow arrows pointing to the corners indicating that the lens is wider than the finder can handle. The 40 looks about right.

The function button on the adapter is great. It gets u direct to the custom menu to change lens info.

Really like the barrel and light fall off adjustments.

I now know why my Leica 35 sumicron will not work on this adapter. The housing for the electronic on the m adapter decreases the acceptable rear element diameter.. U will not notice the Issue unless u try to focus at infinity, are which point the rear element will hit the housing. :bang: it stops a hair before the inf mark.

Gary

So does this adapter for the M lenses allow full use of the lens – full aperture, ISO and focusing control, or is it down to having to magnify to focus and play around to get the light ok?

So does this adapter for the M lenses allow full use of the lens – full aperture, ISO and focusing control, or is it down to having to magnify to focus and play around to get the light ok?

I am not sure I understand your question. So let me c if I can walk thru it.

- essentially a normal adapter with electrical contacts
- outside of activating the fw features and allowing use of adapter function button to go direct to custom lens menu , right now I am not sure what else
- if shoot w/o lens is off, attaching this adapter will automatically activate
- aperture info is no sent back to the camera from the lens
- focusing distance is not sent back to the camera as well
- I cannot guess the iso question

Just like other adapters like the Rainbow or the Kiron, u are stuck in aperture priority mode or full manual. I mainly using jsrocks advice and using camera in full manual and letting auto-iso handle the rest.

Spent yesterday setting up the barrel distortion and light fall off settings for all the lenses I plan to use with this setup. I have not figured out best way to setup the color correction change test, so if anyone has suggestion please let me know.

Barrel was the normal grid wall and light fall off was a white wall.

When u change lenses, all u need to do is plress function key on adapter and your right in the custom lens selection menu.. Change the lens and all the previously saved info about corrections is pulled up for that lens. Not sure if it is saved in the adapter or the camera body right now.

Hope that answers part of your question.

Gary

Ps I was not able to c the effects of these correction live, so this info most be applied during post processing to jpg not sure right about raw file yet.

Last edited:
why so many predefined frame lines?

why so many predefined frame lines?

4 preset frame lines and two custom settings.[...]

Does anybody comprehend why Fuji spent four lens configuration memories for predefined focal lenghts (21/24/28/35mm)? Only two remains for user configuration.

E.g. adapting two 50mm with different correction requirements and one or two longer lenses will give you no advantage over a 3rd party adapter, because I suppose you wouldn't change the correction parameters for memory #5 or #6 on the fly.

Or do I overlook something?

Does anybody comprehend why Fuji spent four lens configuration memories for predefined focal lenghts (21/24/28/35mm)? Only two remains for user configuration.

E.g. adapting two 50mm with different correction requirements and one or two longer lenses will give you no advantage over a 3rd party adapter, because I suppose you wouldn't change the correction parameters for memory #5 or #6 on the fly.

Or do I overlook something?

My guess is that their marketing survey found most rf users were 50 and under for their legacy lenses.

I would think that this can be changed by SW. Fuji seems to listen, so if enough people complain, u may c a fw update to address this.

For myself.. It works for me, I currently only have three lenses I plan to use anyway...

Konica 21/35
Cv15 and 28

The cv 15 is going to end up being the most used.... It will end up being pair with the Fuji 35f1.4... Or the 28. --> 23/50 or 23/42 works for me.

Gary

Gary

GaryLH said:
I am not sure I understand your question. So let me c if I can walk thru it.

- essentially a normal adapter with electrical contacts
- outside of activating the fw features and allowing use of adapter function button to go direct to custom lens menu , right now I am not sure what else
- if shoot w/o lens is off, attaching this adapter will automatically activate
- aperture info is no sent back to the camera from the lens
- focusing distance is not sent back to the camera as well
- I cannot guess the iso question

Just like other adapters like the Rainbow or the Kiron, u are stuck in aperture priority mode or full manual. I mainly using jsrocks advice and using camera in full manual and letting auto-iso handle the rest.

Spent yesterday setting up the barrel distortion and light fall off settings for all the lenses I plan to use with this setup. I have not figured out best way to setup the color correction change test, so if anyone has suggestion please let me know.

Barrel was the normal grid wall and light fall off was a white wall.

When u change lenses, all u need to do is plress function key on adapter and your right in the custom lens selection menu.. Change the lens and all the previously saved info about corrections is pulled up for that lens. Not sure if it is saved in the adapter or the camera body right now.

Hope that answers part of your question.

Gary

Ps I was not able to c the effects of these correction live, so this info most be applied during post processing to jpg not sure right about raw file yet.

Hello Gary, yes, that answered my question.

Just got my Fujifilm adaptor today. Beautiful fit & finish, comparable to a Novoflex adaptor. VASTLY better made than the piece of fecal matter that I got from Kipon. The extra in-camera processing options, and the function button on the adaptor, are nice bonuses.

Hey all, I'm back.

I don't get how the OVF and LCD brightness can be set to different parameters...:confused:

When looking at the rear LCD and changing the brightness level it will only change the LCD not the ovf. The brightness of the ovf and evf seem to be tied together.

When u look thru the viewfinder and set the brightness te brightness setting should now be for the ovf/evf only.

Hope that helps.

Gary

So, what does the OVF focus box look like when using an M-mount lens via adapter? Do you just point the focus spot to your subject, turn the focus gear on the lens, and then the focus box lights up when focus is achieved? Any feedback on which direction to turn the focus wheel (e.g. with optical RF you turn focus in the direction that would bring the overlaid image to the center of the frame)?

So, what does the OVF focus box look like when using an M-mount lens via adapter? Do you just point the focus spot to your subject, turn the focus gear on the lens, and then the focus box lights up when focus is achieved? Any feedback on which direction to turn the focus wheel (e.g. with optical RF you turn focus in the direction that would bring the overlaid image to the center of the frame)?

No focus confirmation that I am aware of when using ovf. I mainly use the ovf when I am using zone focusing. I use evf mode when I want accurate focusing. Semilog mentioned a technique for using both evf and ovf...

Gary

This weekend I had a chance to use my gxr w/ m mount module after more than 6 weeks of nothing but using the xp1 and the last week or so with the Fuji m mount adapter.

Things I wish Fuji would do
- focus peaking
- Ricoh two stage magnification mode..
- - mag on and active
- - half press to c full screen to recompose for shot
- - after shot go back to mag mode until mag disabled
- Sony Nex choice of two levels of mag

Gary

Back