I sometimes wish I could be like those that sell...

Vickko

Mentor
Local time
4:55 AM
I sometimes wish I could be like those that sell their gear and buy completely different gear.

I like to try different gear (I recently saw the term "gear slut" and laughed because it was somewhat appropriate), but I have a problem with selling.

Well, I have a problem with selling certain items, like Leica lenses.

The problem isn't a problem until I get a ton of bills, like now when the summer vacation and fall tuition bills all hit at once.

Maybe it isn't the best circumstance to be deciding on what to sell. "Need to turn it into money" doesn't generate the best decisions. It is far better when I'm tired of a particular piece, and think that it deserves a new loving home.

Keep the absolute best stuff, buy and sell the 2nd tier stuff as often as possible. Try to make a profit.

You don't have to marry your equipment, you can't take it to the grave. Play with them, enjoy them, then dump them.

The only way we find out what we like is by trying it. Go ahead and be a gear slut, loyalty is for people, not cameras.

Enjoy yourself, it is later than you think.

But don't confuse happiness with material things. Some people are comfortable keeping things (like me) and others go for all the newer stuff as is common in this disposable society these days.

Which are you? Or are you in-between? Do you even know? It can be confusing if dwelt upon too long.
Either way, do what you want...life is too short to do otherwise.:angel:

Just click your heels together three times and say, "There's no place like Solms, there's no place like Solms."

Seriously, there is so much stuff out there and it is so accessible, I don't lament the things I sell for new things. Don't be in a rush, buy lower and try to sell higher. If you really miss something, there is probably another one available, especially if you are patient. I have a few cameras that I would really like to hold on to, but the others are ll just potential fodder to feed the hobby. I enjoy watching one of my auctions end and I enjoy waiting for something new to show up in the mail. It's all part of the fun for me.

Cheers

I've struggled with what to sell and what to keep. Usually, if gear is working well, even if not cosmetically pretty I will keep it to use over a pristine collectors piece. Since my chosen platform is Olympus OM I have had lenses too pretty and expensive to keep. I've had 2 of the 40mm f2 lenses pass through my hands. The first one I paid $75 for and sold for $350 and the next one I got attached to a OM-2sp body for $200 and sold the lens alone for $600. As I said, too expensive to keep. Now for that focal length range I get by with a little old slightly used looking 35mm f2.8 silver nose that cost $50.

Sometimes when I see a bargain I can't resist. Just a few months ago I found a 50 f1.8 and a 135 f3.5 Zuiko, clean and like new at a local shop, $25 for both. I bought them even though I already have a copy of each.

One lens I really regret selling was the 28~48mm f4 S Zuiko. I only paid $50 for it and sold it for about $115 but actually it was a really handy lens with a constant aperture and very small and light. DUMB DUMB DUMB!!

If fact, what am I doing sitting here banging away on this key board. I need to get off my big butt, grab a camera and go for a walk.

When I start having trouble keeping track of what I have, I know it's time to sell or donate some gear.

I may be there now.

Back