UVIR on M8

taffy

Well-known
Local time
6:47 PM
I have two sizes for my UVIR filters: 39 and 46 but I do have a CV 40 which takes 40.5 filters. Can I use the 46 UVIR on this with a step down ring? Or is there a step up ring which will allow me to use the 39 UVIR (I figure the crop factor will take care of the blockage)?

Thanks

Isn't 40.5 lens to 46mm filter a step up ring, rather than step down?

Yes it would work, does get quite annoying swapping filter rings and filters if you change lenses a lot.

CV 40? The 40/1.4 that I have that takes the same 43mm filters as my CV 35/1.4 and Zeiss 50/2?

Or is there another CV 40mm?

CV 40? The 40/1.4 that I have that takes the same 43mm filters as my CV 35/1.4 and Zeiss 50/2?

Or is there another CV 40mm?

You're right CrisR it's 43mm, my mistake. What do you think of my ideas above? You think a step up or step down will work?

There are 40.5mm UV/IR filters for lenses like M-Rokkor 28/2.8, 40/2 or 90/4. The "Rocolax" sold by "GiantCrafter Studio" on e**y work fine but have no internal filter thead so one cannot stack another filter or screw a hood onto them. See http://tinyurl.com/7fgndjt.

There are 40.5mm UV/IR filters for lenses like M-Rokkor 28/2.8, 40/2 or 90/4. The "Rocolax" sold by "GiantCrafter Studio" on e**y work fine but have no internal filter thead so one cannot stack another filter or screw a hood onto them. See http://tinyurl.com/7fgndjt.

Thanks, I never knew there were brands other than Leica and B+W. I'm curious about the quality, do you have any experience with them? My B+W filters are very good quality and not much more expensive than the ones you linked too.

Thanks for the tip! I know why you mean :)
The filters are a chore, but the colours come out so much better with the IRcut filters that I regret not buying them earlier. I swap them around with a orange filter when I shoot film so I know how annoying it can be.

My old Linhof lenses all took 40.5 filters. I got a 40.5 - 52 mm step ring from Calumet along with a few metal hoods for about $40. I've never seen 40.5 to 46 but there may be one out there somewhere.

Tom

(…) I'm curious about the quality, do you have any experience with them? (…)
I use one Rocolax on my M-Rokkor lenses and don't see significant differences with my Leica and B+W filters. But my Rocolax has no internal filter thread as mentioned above so screwing a hood or even clipping a lens cap onto it can be a problem.

Back