Osaka, Japan - suggestions please

taffy

Well-known
Local time
6:40 AM
Hi

I'm going to Osaka, Japan for 3 1/2 days and 3 nights. I'd like to ask for some suggestions on what to see and what to shoot. It will be my first time and I plan to move around to maybe the Nagoya and Kyoto area.

Hope you can help!

Taffy

It's a short stay. You have some dates for this trip? Shooting preferences?

When i was there the locals told me that you go to Osaka to eat, and Tokyo to shop.

I'd recommend Dotonbori at night, and Osaka castle. Both easily accessible via train.

When i was there the locals told me that you go to Osaka to eat, and Tokyo to shop.

I'd recommend Dotonbori at night, and Osaka castle. Both easily accessible via train.

Dotonbori - agree.
Osakajo - disagree (given the region (Kansai) and that Himejijo is under repair, I'd say Nijojo in Kyoto is the best option since the interior is at least partly original. Osakajo is gutted, but the grounds make for a nice stroll.)

Osaka - clubs, wacky city life, shopping
Kobe - cozy bars, small restaurants, convenience
Nara - aggressive deer and spread-out temples
Kyoto - many temples in small spaces, wabisabi, great for seasonal views

Certainly, I can't argue with Kansai for food. Tepanyaki is a way of life.

flip said:
It's a short stay. You have some dates for this trip? Shooting preferences?

Hi Flip

I'd like to just wander and shoot the everyday street stuff but since its my firs time there I'd like to shoot around the famous places in Osaka and Kyoto.

I'll be there from Nov 1-4. Cheers!

A bit early for the seasonal colors. No matter.

For street, Shinsaibashi and Namba in Osaka. Gion in Kyoto. Follow Gion down past the river or just southwest of the temple in the evening.

A bit early for the seasonal colors. No matter.

For street, Shinsaibashi and Namba in Osaka. Gion in Kyoto. Follow Gion down past the river or just southwest of the temple in the evening.

Thanks a lot flip. Keep the suggestions coming. So I guess I won't be catching any of the autumn colors yet? Would I have a better chance for seasonal colors in Kyoto?

Not until the last week of November.
You might have luck if you could go into the mountains, but it is still pretty early.

When in Osaka I recommend the Arietta Hotel. It is in the business area, a bit far from the action, but the subway is near and only about 10 minutes from center of town anyway.

Back