More expertise needed in adjusting RF in M digital vs M film?

ymc226

Well-known
Local time
10:18 AM
I was thinking a lot of my shots on my less than 1 year old M9P were a little soft wide open or close to wide open at medium distances with most of my lenses which I purchased new as well.

Seeing M9 pictures on this forum, Get DPI and LUF, I felt there wasn't the crisp detail that was prevalent in many of the posted photos.

I just used the Lens Align which I got for my DSLR and the M lenses on the M9 all seem to retrofocus wide open and close up at a little over a meter either by alot or less so. I usually take pictures close up and with wider apertures.

Being rather impatient, I'd don't want to wait for Leica NJ to assess and fix the camera as it would take at least 3 weeks even with me dropping the camera off personally.

Since I'm going to LA shortly, I called Steve's Camera in Culver City and they stated they could look at the camera and rectify it in a day.

Given the finer tolerances required comparing digital to film, would one believe that only Leica could adjust this to the necessary spec or could any reputable and experienced repair tech familiar with RF calibration be good enough?

Hi, I posted a comment in this thread :
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125451&highlight=sensor

If just the RF is out of alignment then you might be ok. In case the sensor is also off, you might end up shipping you camera twice...
Call them (Leica), and try to schedule a 1 week window of repair and sent it in for that week rather then sending it in it sits 3 or x number weeks in a bin with your name on it and gets repaired when they get to it. So you narrow down the time without your camera. Check with a local repair guy if they can do both RF AND sensor adjustment. My M9 sensor was off 20 microns, it could have happened during shipping or a bump (I bought it used). It needs to be positioned with 3 screws.

Steve is fantastic!

i highly recommend taking not only your camera to him, but also all your lenses* (or the most critical ones) when you go. he has a machine that can check them whilst you wait and he's very honest about whether or not they need adjustment. not only that, he'll actually tell you whether the lens is back-focusing, front-focusing, or whatnot as well as whether the RF does need to be aligned or not.

if i sound like i'm gushing, i am, unapologetically. he is worth his weight in gold!

my only regret is that i'll be in town around Thanksgiving and my newly repaired Leica is just enough off to drive me mad and i'm not sure if he'll be able to do his magic so quickly around holiday :bang:

(you might not like me saying this, but the tolerance on digital is so small that lenses that work perfectly on your film cameras may actually be off themselves... Steve's work is stellar, though. when he fixes a lens, i know it's perfect for a long time after.)

Are you sure your RF is out of alignment, & not the lenses? In my experience w/the M8 & M9, the RFs were fine, it was my collection of (mostly) vintage lenses that is out of alignment. Putting aside things like focus shift that can't be helped, every 1 of my post-1980 lenses focuses fine; it's the stuff from the 1950s & '60s that front or back focuses on digital.

Are you sure your RF is out of alignment, & not the lenses? In my experience w/the M8 & M9, the RFs were fine, it was my collection of (mostly) vintage lenses that is out of alignment. Putting aside things like focus shift that can't be helped, every 1 of my post-1980 lenses focuses fine; it's the stuff from the 1950s & '60s that front or back focuses on digital.
that's why i recommended bringing the lenses too.

Steve has equipment that can diagnose both RF on the camera and alignment of the lenses. he will not try to fix something that's not broken.

My point is that he may not have to send his camera in @ all, just the problematic lenses.

that's why i recommended bringing the lenses too.

Steve has equipment that can diagnose both RF on the camera and alignment of the lenses. he will not try to fix something that's not broken.

My point is that he may not have to send his camera in @ all, just the problematic lenses.
he's taking it in person -- which is why i recommended taking both camera and lenses.

let the expert decide which is off.

i'm speaking from experience as i was having issues with my M9 and E58 50/1 and a 75 Lux (lenses that had never been serviced). unfortunately, everything proved to be off. fortunately, i wasn't going blind.

I'm not disagreeing w/your recommendation, only making a separate point that it pays to narrow down what the problem actually is in advance, assuming that's possible, so that he doesn't bring stuff he doesn't have to.

he's taking it in person -- which is why i recommended taking both camera and lenses.

let the expert decide which is off.

i'm speaking from experience as i was having issues with my M9 and E58 50/1 and a 75 Lux (lenses that had never been serviced). unfortunately, everything proved to be off. fortunately, i wasn't going blind.

I'm not disagreeing w/your recommendation, only making a separate point that it pays to narrow down what the problem actually is in advance, assuming that's possible, so that he doesn't bring stuff he doesn't have to.
in the end, i'm not sure you can. or, at least, i think it's unwise to limit yourself when you have a chance to check your all your gear with precise equipment.

Steve doesn't charge just for looking.

and, yes, i had an issue that was only the lens -- 35 pre-asph Summilux that had been brilliant on both my M2 and Epson R-D1, but miserable on my new (second-hand) M8.

i'm not fond of lugging all my gear onboard (and i'm in europe, sot it's trams, trains, and planes), but if i have an issue it's worth taking the crucial lot to Steve.

he won't try to fix (or charge for) what isn't broken.

Like Cam said, take it all in and have it all checked (Camera & Lenses). You are going to have it with you anyway.

True enough, but I guess it would depend on how many lenses he has (I would have to schlep @ least 20 & that's only the ones I use on a regular basis).

in the end, i'm not sure you can. or, at least, i think it's unwise to limit yourself when you have a chance to check your all your gear with precise equipment.

Steve doesn't charge just for looking.

and, yes, i had an issue that was only the lens -- 35 pre-asph Summilux that had been brilliant on both my M2 and Epson R-D1, but miserable on my new (second-hand) M8.

i'm not fond of lugging all my gear onboard (and i'm in europe, sot it's trams, trains, and planes), but if i have an issue it's worth taking the crucial lot to Steve.

he won't try to fix (or charge for) what isn't broken.

I adjusted the RF myself, in my bedroom using a homemade adjustment tool. No problem. Got focus spot on. Compared it against 5 lenses that were known to focus perfectly and the body was right on. If you feel comfortable doing the adjustment yourself, then go for it. It's just a little screwdriver type tool with a post and an eccentric lobe that will adjust the rangefinder back and forth.

Phil Forrest

True enough, but I guess it would depend on how many lenses he has (I would have to schlep @ least 20 & that's only the ones I use on a regular basis).
20 regularly used lenses? i think i want to come and have a play in your closet :p

Steve is fantastic!

i highly recommend taking not only your camera to him, but also all your lenses* (or the most critical ones) when you go. he has a machine that can check them whilst you wait and he's very honest about whether or not they need adjustment. not only that, he'll actually tell you whether the lens is back-focusing, front-focusing, or whatnot as well as whether the RF does need to be aligned or not.

if i sound like i'm gushing, i am, unapologetically. he is worth his weight in gold!

my only regret is that i'll be in town around Thanksgiving and my newly repaired Leica is just enough off to drive me mad and i'm not sure if he'll be able to do his magic so quickly around holiday :bang:

(you might not like me saying this, but the tolerance on digital is so small that lenses that work perfectly on your film cameras may actually be off themselves... Steve's work is stellar, though. when he fixes a lens, i know it's perfect for a long time after.)

Thanks for letting me know that he has the expertise to work on lenses as well. I'm going around New Year's (12/29) to be specific so I'll call ahead to make sure he is available to do lots of quick work as I'd like to have the kit back in a day or so.

Prior to the M9, I was using MPs and M7s and I never noticed any softness but didn't yet acquire the lenses that were giving me the most issues.

Hi, I posted a comment in this thread :
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125451&highlight=sensor

If just the RF is out of alignment then you might be ok. In case the sensor is also off, you might end up shipping you camera twice...
Call them (Leica), and try to schedule a 1 week window of repair and sent it in for that week rather then sending it in it sits 3 or x number weeks in a bin with your name on it and gets repaired when they get to it. So you narrow down the time without your camera. Check with a local repair guy if they can do both RF AND sensor adjustment. My M9 sensor was off 20 microns, it could have happened during shipping or a bump (I bought it used). It needs to be positioned with 3 screws.

I'll check with Steve to see if he checks and adjusts the sensor as well. Thanks for bringing up this issue which hadn't occurred to me.

Thanks for letting me know that he has the expertise to work on lenses as well. I'm going around New Year's (12/29) to be specific so I'll call ahead to make sure he is available to do lots of quick work as I'd like to have the kit back in a day or so.

Prior to the M9, I was using MPs and M7s and I never noticed any softness but didn't yet acquire the lenses that were giving me the most issues.
definitely give him a ring. he is able to work quickly but, he's also human and may be away. it would probably help to tell him what you'll be bringing and what time-frame you need it fixed by. he's very accommodating, but it never hurts to make a sort of appointment so that he'll be in the shop.

btw, it's located pretty close to the airport so, if you can, i'd drop it off straight away (unless you're landing off-hours).

good luck!

I wish I could tell for sure which side (camera or lenses) are off; maybe both.

Just recently got the 50 lux ASPH brand new from a dealer and it seemed highly soft. I only got it as forum members were gushing about how tack sharp it was. I brought it immediately to Leica NJ and while I waited, the tech did confirm it was retrofocusing significantly. It took 2-3 weeks to get it back and that was a rush job. They were very good and responsive.

I tested it last night and it still retrofocuses but much less. The 35 cron ASPH that I just got also seems very, very soft no matter how carefully I focus, even with a 1.25 VF magnifier. Again, retro focuses alot. Out of the 10 ASPH M lenses I have, all purchased new from authorized Leica dealers in the last few years, the majority appear to retrofocus slightly so I think the camera is off a bit. There is a 90 cron ASPH that I bought used that does front focus slightly. Maybe that would worsen if the camera was adjusted so I'll bring that in to be checked.

I'll check with Steve to see if he checks and adjusts the sensor as well. Thanks for bringing up this issue which hadn't occurred to me.
i know he checks sensors (i took a camera into him just for RF alignment and he couldn't stand the filth so he cleaned it for free) so it's likely that he can adjust them as well.

I wish I could tell for sure which side (camera or lenses) are off; maybe both.

Just recently got the 50 lux ASPH brand new from a dealer and it seemed highly soft. I only got it as forum members were gushing about how tack sharp it was. I brought it immediately to Leica NJ and while I waited, the tech did confirm it was retrofocusing significantly. It took 2-3 weeks to get it back and that was a rush job. They were very good and responsive.

I tested it last night and it still retrofocuses but much less. The 35 cron ASPH that I just got also seems very, very soft no matter how carefully I focus, even with a 1.25 VF magnifier. Again, retro focuses alot. Out of the 10 ASPH M lenses I have, all purchased new from authorized Leica dealers in the last few years, the majority appear to retrofocus slightly so I think the camera is off a bit. There is a 90 cron ASPH that I bought used that does front focus slightly. Maybe that would worsen if the camera was adjusted so I'll bring that in to be checked.
the 90 Cron Asph is a tricky one (that's why they were in such short supply -- there had been rumours that they were going to make a new one, but nothing came of it that i know of). to be sure, with that particular lens, i think only Solms has the proper machinery to adjust it.

it does sound like your camera is definitely off! you will be so so happy and amazed when it it's adjusted properly :)

Back