What is the least saturated slide film you know?

Pirate

Guitar playing Fotografer
Local time
9:03 AM
I have a project coming up that will be a colour photo but it will be about as little colour as I can get on film. Most of this will be just from finding subject matter that is aged and devoid of colour, which won't be much of a problem in the winter, but I also wanted to ask what slide film you guys have used that seems to have the least amount of colour saturation.

Slide film will be my preferred choice, but I can use negative colour film as well.

Thanks

Find some autochrome? :p

I'd suggest Astia, but I'm pretty certain that it was recently discontinued.

That is, if you need to shoot slides...

I've shot Ektar and it's not low saturation. I've done Provia 100 and it's pretty colorful too, but I have not tried the 400 yet.

Portra 160NC I'll have to try, and I recently found a place selling Astia so I might have to grab some rolls and try it out.

Thanks

Astia is the only lower-saturation slide film I can think of. Otherwise, Portra NC would be a winner as well.

Portra and Ektar aren't slide films. They're negative print film.

Astia is the lowest saturation I've seen in years. The old Agfa 100 ISO E6 was very pastel but no longer available. Not sure if Astia is either. Provia is fairly high saturation. You may find some old stock Kodak EPP which was a bit lower saturation.

Was the Kodak EPP that duplication film?

I think I have some of that AGFA 100 in the fridge. Might try that too.

EPP was Ektachrome Commercial E6.

In the early 70's we used a Kodak 35mm transparency film designed for motion picture shooting (original in camera stock not dupe film) that was very low contrast an low saturation. It was designed to shoot in camera and then duplicated on a positive release stock. The contrast and saturation were built up when duplicated and looked normal. A motion picture lab in LA spooked it in 35 mm cassettes and sold it with te correct processing in motion picture E4 chemistry. The film was known as ECO but can't remember the number.

There may be an equivalent today. Check some of the motion picture labs. Also there's a company that sells short ends of motion picture emulsions relatively cheap. You could spool it yourself if you can find the film. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the company. You might research with google and I believe there was a discussion on RFF about it.

If you don't know about short ends its what's left in the film magazine that's not long enough for the next scene. 35 mm motion picture cameras at 24 fps run roughly 90ft of film through in one minute. The magazines hold between 400 and 1600 ft.

I'd have said Astia myself. Yes it is discontinued, but there must be a few rolls around someplace.

You won't by any chance be scanning the film? If so, you could desaturate in post.

I wonder if E6 can be custom processed to reduce saturation.

Another vote for Astia.
The most unsaturated film for me is Fuji Pro400H, very pale film, one of my fav. film to scan and later correct.
Ektar to me is very contrasty, Reala was better, but now its gone (thank god I got some still left)... Its really dependet what you prefer in a film. Try them all !

Is Agfa Precisa CT100 rebranded Sensia or Provia?
That aside, another vote for Astia.

definitely not Sensia .. I loved Sensia100 and I find CT100 not remotely as nice. I really dislike the dynamic range of CT100.

If it's true and this is provia100f I'm out of luck cos all the slide I liked is gone and the only film I haven't tried yet is Provia100.

I really enjoyed E100G, maybe Astia is even better suited for the OP but I think E100G was very "normal" too.
I still have some in 135 and just bought a 5pack of 120 on ebay.
I'm not sure what I do when my reserves of RSXII50, E100G and Astia are gone. Probably stop shooting slide.

Oh there is Rollei CR200 pro .. which is quite grainy and looks like the slide I remember my grandpa used especially when you underexpose that stuff.

I understand that at this point in time Agfa Precisa CT 100 is indeed Provia 100. In the past it was claimed to be Sensia 100. I've used some of the recent stuff recently and you don't call it a low saturation slide film. Fuji Provia 400 is definitely less saturated.

Back