10 yo Leica article

See, I'm Fuji free, mostly shoot Leica (film and digi) and I'm finding this article as copy-paste compilation noise. :)

For many years I toyed with the idea of owning a Leica M. But through 30 or so years life, family, loss, and other things told me no. Then, about 8 years ago, as I passed 60 I sold off many items at a photo show and obtained a M4-2 body. (Oddly, I already had two CV lenses, a 35 f2.5 and 21 f4).

I found out I had become completely devoted to my OM-1, in practice, after the first flush of ownership I went back to my OM and Pen F reflex's.

As Mr. Spock says, 'The having is not so pleasant as the wanting, it is not logical, but it is often true.'

After longing for years for a Leica M, I bought one just to realize that there is something on my humble Fed-1 that the Leica M cannot deliver.
I still cannot define what it is, it maybe just me.

Fun article, and a good historical introduction to Leica for those who did not know at that time. So much of it is in the attachment of romance to a brand or item, which is the hallmark of good advertising. When you read the 'why I prefer Leica' articles, a lot of them have points that any number of other cameras could satisfy.

- Leicas are quiet - today's mirrorless cameras are capable of electronic shutter, you can't get any more quiet than silence

- Leicas are small - the smallest full frame digital camera is smaller than a Leica M

- Leicas make you slow down and think - there's nothing stopping you from doing this with a Sigma DP1, a very slow and creaky digital camera

and on it goes. But the Leica mystique is what that article was selling, and it did so very well. Now, I'm going to fondle my M7 and imagine that I'm following in the footsteps of Cartier-Bresson, Elliot Erwitt, William Eggleston and Jim Marshall.

I still love Leicas, just not for my photography at the moment. I didn't re-read the article. Most of us from this site know Leica all too well already.

Back