2020 Voigtlander Discontinued Lenses

A hint that there will be a new 50/1.5 announced soon? One with a focusing tab, I hope.

I'm still crossing my fingers for a tiny 28/2.8. :D

A hint that there will be a new 50/1.5 announced soon? One with a focusing tab, I hope.

I have money waiting for both of these. That Sony mount APO-lanthar 50mm would be tasty in M mount...

Both 50 1.5 and 35 1.7 VMs are very good optically. 35 1.7 I had was as good as Leica 35 2.5 I have. 50 1.5 was also good on BW. But this vintage look instead of functionality turned me off. Even older LTM versions are less masochistic.

28 2.8 ASPH VM would be awesome. I don't want to overpay for Leica anymore.

I found that the 50mm f/1.5 suffered from barrel distortion, but the 35mm f/1.7 was extremely good; the lens is only a bit heavy and big (chrome version).

The Nokton 50mm f/1.1 is a wonderful lens. Much better than the Noctilux 50mm f/1.

Leica M5/Ultron-M 35mm f/1.7/TMY400-2/AdoxMCC110

Erik.

48015500687_63c7f628d0_b.jpg

I wonder why they have not released that lens in M mount.
Weird.

It is kind of odd. They're usually pretty quick releasing the M mount within months. Maybe the supply chain issues with the Wuhan virus affected their timeline. Lloyd Chambers gushed over the Sony version. Can't remember the last time he repeated 'Wow' so many times in one review.

As for a VM 2,8/28; I asked Head Bartender once and he seemed to strongly doubt that. Cosina didn't revive the 2,5/50 despite its acclaim. They don't appear to look back; once done, it's done (like the famed SL APO's 2,5/125 and 4/180) and instead move on to something new.

Both 50 1.5 and 35 1.7 VMs are very good optically. 35 1.7 I had was as good as Leica 35 2.5 I have. 50 1.5 was also good on BW. But this vintage look instead of functionality turned me off. Even older LTM versions are less masochistic.

28 2.8 ASPH VM would be awesome. I don't want to overpay for Leica anymore.

Yes, the nokton 50 is very nice optically but those ergonomics are actually borderline cruel 😂

... The Nokton 50mm f/1.1 is a wonderful lens. Much better than the Noctilux 50mm f/1. ...
Voigtlander M mount lenses are generally very good (I own several), but I wholeheartedly disagree about the 50mm f/1.1 Nokton. I've owned two or three samples and sold each one in turn because I simply couldn't warm up to it (I kept going back to it thinking it was "sample variation" - well, it wasn't). Although the Nokton is technically sharper wide open, the Noktilux is far superior (IMHO) as to character and OOF renditions ("bokeh") - it just produces that dreamy gradual separation you can't get from the Nokton.

Wish I still owned the Noctilux; I sold mine as the prices were rising toward the end of its production just prior to the release of the current .95 version; with the release of the newer model I didn't think the high prices on the f/1 version would hold (boy, was I wrong about that!!).

I haven't tried the 50mm f/1.2 Nokton yet - but I will eventually.

... 28 2.8 ASPH VM would be awesome. ...
+1

Although the Nokton is technically sharper wide open, the Noktilux is far superior (IMHO) as to character and OOF renditions ("bokeh") - it just produces that dreamy gradual separation you can't get from the Nokton.

But you won't get any sharpness from the Noctilux f/1 @ f/1, only unsharpness and a whole lot of vignetting.

Erik.

Yes, the nokton 50 is very nice optically but those ergonomics are actually borderline cruel ��

The 50/1.5 black M Nokton has a much more traditional look and handling than the M chrome version, which was modeled after the original 1954 Leica screw mount Nokton.

The 50/1.5 black M Nokton has a much more traditional look and handling than the M chrome version, which was modeled after the original 1954 Leica screw mount Nokton.

It’s that stiff, sharply scalloped focussing ring that got me. Maybe as it’s used the focussing ring eases up but I personally found myself constantly thinking about the ergonomics as I used it rather than it being effortless. Those exact optics with a focussing tab and slightly shorter throw would be schmick.

I had black one. Just as written above, stiff focus, odd focus ring with sharp things and self unscrewing hood.

Yes, the nokton 50 is very nice optically but those ergonomics are actually borderline cruel ��

Very strange, that's the most natural-feeling lens I've used on any camera. Love the scalloped focus ring and soft-click of the aperture ring.

You're not wrong for disliking it, I just think it's funny how different things please different people.

@Stephen - do you know why the Ultron 35/1.7 has been discontinued? Was it not popular enough? I don't really see how it's been superseded by the f1.4 v2 or f1.2 v3. They are very different lenses.

Back