2020 Voigtlander Discontinued Lenses

The 50/1.5 black M Nokton has a much more traditional look and handling than the M chrome version, which was modeled after the original 1954 Leica screw mount Nokton.

I never tried a black one, can be that the black one has aluminium threads. The chrome one is very smooth with its brass threads. Mechanically it is a jewel, but that barrel distortion ...

Erik.

From what I'm reading in this thread about the handling of the 35 Ultron and 50 Nokton, I'm beginning to understand why Voigtlander has chosen to concentrate on the more standard design lenses.

From what I'm reading in this thread about the handling of the 35 Ultron and 50 Nokton, I'm beginning to understand why Voigtlander has chosen to concentrate on the more standard design lenses.

I think so too, but I do not like those shiny bayonet-fittings on their fronts ...

Erik.

Very strange, that's the most natural-feeling lens I've used on any camera. Love the scalloped focus ring and soft-click of the aperture ring.

You're not wrong for disliking it, I just think it's funny how different things please different people.

The problem I find with the classic scalloped focus rings (and not just with VC lenses) is that the grooves are always in the scallops, and the ridges are smooth metal, so that grip is a sometimes treat. I needed this to make my screw-mount 50mm Nokton usable.

I agree with ruby.monkey here. The fine ridges on the scalloped focusing rings must be in the valleys and not on the top of the hills. When you turn the ring, your fingers slip into the valleys. When the valleys are smooth, your fingers slip out. The fine grooves must be in the valleys so your fingers stay put there when turning the focusing ring.

Leitz knew that already in 1958 when they took off the fine ridges from the top of the hills and put them were they belong: in the valleys. See the Summilux 50mm v1.

Erik.

I don't get that design decision. It's also on Zeiss ZM lenses. Lens hoods have a matte black interior to prevent reflections/glare, yet they put shiny chrome on the front?

When these bayonet-fittings would be matte black paint (on brass) it would be much better, I agree ...

Erik.

The 50/1.5 black M Nokton has a much more traditional look and handling than the M chrome version, which was modeled after the original 1954 Leica screw mount Nokton.

I thought the M-mount 50/1.5 Noktons in silver and black were basically the same lens body (just different colors, and more brass/weight for the silver version). Same basic deal for the M-mount 35/1.7 Ultrons. Were you maybe referring to the older black LTM version? Sorry if I'm confused.

I understand the 35mm 1.7 going away since it is competing against the new Nokton and ultron f2

I’m confused by the 50mm 1.5 as it really has no direct competition. It fits nicely between the 2.5 and the 1.2 in terms of size and price

I understand the 35mm 1.7 going away since it is competing against the new Nokton and ultron f2

I’m confused by the 50mm 1.5 as it really has no direct competition. It fits nicely between the 2.5 and the 1.2 in terms of size and price

50/2.5 ? Is that available?

Erik.

No, but Russian sputnik shaped 50 3.5 is.

I think it is about time to make the 50mm f/2.5 again. A very nice lens.

Leica III/Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5/Tmax400/IlfordMGFB

Erik.

49917178013_f1276afb2d_b.jpg

Voigtlander M 35, 40, 50 In current production

35/1.2 V3
35/1.4 V2 ( MC & SC)
35/2
35/2.5

40/1.2
40/1.4 (MC & SC)

50/1.2
50/3.5

I agree with ruby.monkey here. The fine ridges on the scalloped focusing rings must be in the valleys and not on the top of the hills. When you turn the ring, your fingers slip into the valleys. When the valleys are smooth, your fingers slip out. The fine grooves must be in the valleys so your fingers stay put there when turning the focusing ring.

Leitz knew that already in 1958 when they took off the fine ridges from the top of the hills and put them were they belong: in the valleys. See the Summilux 50mm v1.

Erik.

Must be a matter of personal preference: I sold a late 50/2 Summicron Rigid with the ridges in the valleys, and replaced it with an early Rigid with the ridges on the peaks. :)

Must be a matter of personal preference: I sold a late 50/2 Summicron Rigid with the ridges in the valleys, and replaced it with an early Rigid with the ridges on the peaks. :)

Yes, but the valleys and peaks of the early rigid are very small. Then it makes no difference were the fine grooves are.

Erik.

But you won't get any sharpness from the Noctilux f/1 @ f/1, only unsharpness and a whole lot of vignetting. ...
Both of the pics below were taken with the last iteration of the 50mm Noctilux f/1. The first one is wide-open.

18601719-orig.jpg

18601720-orig.jpg

The Nokton simply doesn't have the dreamy character (like it or not) of the Noctilux.

Back