21mm super angulon and digital m bodies

jojoman2

Well-known
Local time
7:38 AM
Hi folks,

I'm planning on investing in a 21, and I've been hearing good stuff about the signature of the super angulon. I'm worried that it won't work with an M240 or M262. I'll probably end up buying a 262 in the next few years, so I want to make sure any lens I get will be able to make the leap from film to digital with me.

Does anyone have any experience with the super angulon? I'm also considering the elmarit pre asph anad zeiss 21/2.8.

If anyone is trying to get rid of a 21mm viewfinder or a leica 21mm, let me know as well. I may be interested.

Thanks all,

Jon

I have a 3.4 SA and have used it on my M8 and now my M9. Its still a surprisingly good little lens. However it does suffer from two attributes which you need to be aware of and are happy to accept or deal with.

Firstly on a full frame sensor it suffers from colour shifts towards the edges - red creeps in and causes problems in colour work. Secondly it vignettes heavily. Both can be sorted in software (such as Cornerfix) but this needs to be carried out and is another processing step and whilst it can be very successful, isn't always depending on subject matter and exposure.

The SA's characteristics are that its very sharp centrally but softens into the corners, exposure is important because of the vignetting and its easy to overexpose the centre resulting in post processing problems - cameras can't meter with the SA as the rear section is too close to the sensor so you have to learn its ways and meter with another lens, using a handheld meter or by guesswork.

Its a fabulous B&W lens, very effective on a crop sensor camera (mine worked on the M8 very well indeed). If you want more info - photos see a brief piece on my website: http://marinewildlife.co.uk/info/leica-21mm-f3-4-super-angulon-m/

Just for an update the Super-Angulon 21/3.4 does not produce color shifts on the M11 that can meter with it. Same for the Biogon 21/4.5 BTW.

No complaints whatsoever with the Zeiss Biogon 21mm F2.8, it's worth having a look at if you haven't yet bought the Leitz/ Leica lens yet.

A very good, fast, and affordable newcomer: TTArtisan 1.5/21.
I remember Dante Stella called the Fujifilm 14mm ƒ2.8 a better 21mm lens than almost any made for any actual rangefinder:
There is plenty of test data out there that substantiates this author’s observation: this beats the stuffing out of even most modern 21mm FOV lenses. [...] A lens like this might cause you to revise your religious beliefs. Needless to say, it outperforms all of the economical adapted Leica-mount lenses and most Leica M 21mm lenses, too.
Source

I have one. It's the sharpest lens I own. But you of course cannot use it on an M mount camera.

Back