70mm Film FUN up ahead

Nokton48

Mentor
Local time
11:21 PM
Hi All,

I am a big fan of 70mm and have been stocking up with film in my deep freeze for many years. Recently I had to remove and rearrange things, so this seems to be a good time to take an inventory.

70mm Kodak Surveillance Film by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is fourteen rolls of 70mm Kodak WL Surveillance film, that comes in 100 foot rolls. I find it very similar to the old Tri-X IMO, when developed in a D76 developer.

I will add to this thread as I have time. Who else here uses 70mm film?

Here are some 70mm WL Surveillance Film negatives I shot in my Hasselblads. I process this film so far in ADOX Borax MQ (D76) which I mix myself.

DSC05743 by Nokton48, on Flickr

DSC05770 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here are some of my 70mm Kodak Film Cartridges, on the left. On the right, are Kodak 70mm Cartridge Storage Cans. You spool the film up by hand, in the total darkness. Then the lights can come on. The storage cans are for exposed and unexposed roll storage and transport.

These came from a photo lab in Florida.

002 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here is how I expose the film, with the Hasselblad A70 Film Back. You get 70 frames to a roll without needing to reload. It is quite liberating to have such firepower. Hasselblad also made a 500 exposure 70mm magazine, but I don't have one. With thinner-base films you can load up to 250 exposures in a Kodak Film Cartridge, it all depends on the thickness of the film base. Of course the A70 film counter only goes up to 70, but it will work.

Shown here with my EL/M and 30mm Hasselblad Fisheye. I have six or seven A70 magazines. This magazine is loaded with Plus-X Aerographic 2402, which is a 70mm Kodak aerial film that came in 150 foot rolls. I'm rating it at ISO 80 and bracketing, all I can do is guess and try it.

001 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Another use for 70mm film: The Beatty Coleman 70mm Roll Back. This produces roughly a 6x8cm image on the film. I plan to use this on my three Plaubel Makiflex cameras. It will also fit my 4x5 Sinar Norma cameras. This back is extra cool because it will work with perforated OR UNPERFORATED 70mm film. That is a pretty big deal. Graflex also made a similar 70 back which will also work with perforated or unperforated film.

Here the back is attached to my Plaubel Makiflex Adapter, ready to go on the cameras.

002 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Helpful to have the original instructions! :)

Linhof offers a 70mm back that will fit my 2x3 Tech IV and Tech V. The backs only sell for about $100. They handle 70 exposures.

I would like to know how readily available are the B&W films. Also how do you process 70 exposures.

I would love to have your capabilities. To use on Baby Linhofs.

Cal

I get interested in using 70mm in my Hasselblad, but how do you develop 15 feet of film? It won't fit my stainless steel Nikor reels! (Not too sure how to measure out 15 feet, either. My darkroom is 13 feet long.)

Linhof offers a 70mm back that will fit my 2x3 Tech IV and Tech V. The backs only sell for about $100. They handle 70 exposures.
I would like to know how readily available are the B&W films. Also how do you process 70 exposures. I would love to have your capabilities. To use on Baby Linhofs. Cal

Hello Again Cal,

Here is one of my Plaubel Makiflexes, with my 56x72 Linhof Cine Rollex 70mm Film Back. Built like a Rolls Royce. I got this one for $35
See below for info on dev tanks for 70mm

I have gotten all of my 70mm film by watching Ebay. Search under "70mm film". I did this for a couple of years and loaded up. :cool:

DSC05774 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I get interested in using 70mm in my Hasselblad, but how do you develop 15 feet of film? It won't fit my stainless steel Nikor reels! (Not too sure how to measure out 15 feet, either. My darkroom is 13 feet long.)

Hey Rob-F,

Basically you have three choices for developing tanks for 70mm (that I am aware of).

1) Kindermann 70mm Daylight Tank and 70mm stainless steel reel. This is what I was able to find after looking hard for a couple of years, I think I bought this one on German Ebay. B&H used to sell these new for $299 back in the seventies. They are around but don't come up all the time.

2) JOBO makes a 70mm reel that fits their tanks. I'm not that familar with it. But they are around.

3) Honeywell Nikor made a stainless steel tank and reel for 15' of film. Looks like a giant 35mm Nikor daylight tank. They are around.

Kindermann 70mm Tank & Reels by Nokton48, on Flickr

My Kindermann 70mm Daylight tank & SS 70mm Kindermann Reel. To the left of it, is a NDT Plastic Reel for processing 70mm film. I found it on the internet, it was only like ten bucks new! Will NOT hold 15 feet, but will hold thirteen feet. TEN BUCKS! Useful!! Will also hold 116 film

Regarding loading, in the dark I load the spool was full as I can, without scratching the outside edges of the film, when I assemble everything. It's all done by touch. Scissors I keep in my back pocket, so I can find them! ;)

hasselblad-70-500-film-magazine-2.preview by Nokton48, on Flickr

And here is the Hasselblad A500 Film Magazine. Quite a beast, ain't it?

Only fits the EL/M. Requires two EL/M batteries to power the back, or an umbical cord, to the batteries in the EL/M.

Five hundred motorized 70mm exposures without stopping. WHEW! Took a full 100' roll of film in one go.

Hello Again Cal,

Here is one of my Plaubel Makiflexes, with my 56x72 Linhof Cine Rollex 70mm Film Back. Built like a Rolls Royce. I got this one for $35
See below for info on dev tanks for 70mm

I have gotten all of my 70mm film by watching Ebay. Search under "70mm film". I did this for a couple of years and loaded up. :cool:

DSC05774 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I have "Linhof Disease" and am building "Beast Cameras."

One is a 2x3 Technika IV from 1958 that is as old as me that came with mucho extras and a Zeiss 100/2.8 Planar. I just had the Tech IV serviced and picked it up today from Nippon Camera Clinic, the new Linhof service center.

The second 2x3 Linhof is an odd prototype with no serial number on the accessory shoe that basically is a Technika V/Master without any movements on the front or rear standards. I'm trying to set up this body with a 53/4.5 Biogon.

Linhof Cine Rolliex's currently sell for about $100.00 and I have a line on two.

After discovering this thread I went to EBAY to search for that Kodak WL Surveilance film. You were wise to bulk up.

Crazy is good I say and mucho fun.

What I would like to know now is how many 6x7 exposures in 15 feet. This is a lot better than shooting 220. LOL. Thanks for this thread.

Cal

hasselblad-70-500-film-magazine-2.preview by Nokton48, on Flickr

And here is the Hasselblad A500 Film Magazine. Quite a beast, ain't it?

Only fits the EL/M. Requires two EL/M batteries to power the back, or an umbical cord, to the batteries in the EL/M.

Five hundred motorized 70mm exposures without stopping. WHEW! Took a full 100' roll of film in one go.

I love this. Mucho crazy.

Normal people do not do this. LOL.

Cal

Hey Rob-F,

Basically you have three choices for developing tanks for 70mm (that I am aware of).

1) Kindermann 70mm Daylight Tank and 70mm stainless steel reel. This is what I was able to find after looking hard for a couple of years, I think I bought this one on German Ebay. B&H used to sell these new for $299 back in the seventies. They are around but don't come up all the time.

2) JOBO makes a 70mm reel that fits their tanks. I'm not that familar with it. But they are around.

3) Honeywell Nikor made a stainless steel tank and reel for 15' of film. Looks like a giant 35mm Nikor daylight tank. They are around.

My Kindermann 70mm Daylight tank & SS 70mm Kindermann Reel. ;)

The 70mm SS reels look to be like my 220 Hewes reels except bigger.

How much more difficulty is loading 15 feet of 70mm over a roll of 220 on the SS reels?

Cal

I've dabbled in some 70mm film and Kodak Vision3 film (65mm). Wanting to explore even further. Have purchased most of the equipment online throughout the couple of years (ebay) but haven't completely made it working yet. Nonetheless, here's a frame from Kodak Vision3 250D film, hand spooled. Shot on a Rolleiflex 2.8F

Hey Rob-F,

I think you're right too. I think I picked up the Nikor 15' reel. It's pretty big! But I think its meant to be developed in total darkness.... unless I have something different. I'll send pics when I'm back in Florida.

I've dabbled in some 70mm film and Kodak Vision3 film (65mm). Wanting to explore even further. Have purchased most of the equipment online throughout the couple of years (ebay) but haven't completely made it working yet. Nonetheless, here's a frame from Kodak Vision3 250D film, hand spooled. Shot on a Rolleiflex 2.8F

I think you're right too. I think I picked up the Nikor 15' reel. It's pretty big! But I think its meant to be developed in total darkness.... unless I have something different. I'll send pics when I'm back in Florida.

DKImg,

Very nice! Did you slit the 70mm film down to 65mm to respool it into 120? That is a very cool idea. What else did you do to the film? What about the remjet backing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70mm-stainless-steel-processing-reel-NIKOR-ONE-only-/222442330755?hash=item33ca989a83%3Ag%3AphUAAOSw3mpXItoJ&nma=true&si=d2U1cArAm6rHWltsO5GPbHscM8Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here is a 70mm Nikor reel that sold a bit ago on ebay. I am just about positive they made a SS tank to hold the reel. I have three Nikor 100" 70mm reels and tanks. They take gallons and gallons of chemistry but will do 100' of 70mm in one go. Dragged them out of the basement of Midwest Photo and I paid $100 for all three. I think I got a steal of a deal. Those things are humungeous!

The 70mm SS reels look to be like my 220 Hewes reels except bigger. How much more difficulty is loading 15 feet of 70mm over a roll of 220 on the SS reels? Cal

Cal,

I've not had any difficulties loading the 70mm reel. But it is good to practice and not be in a hurry. Also I bought an old outdated roll of 100' 70mm Vericolor III perfed for ten bucks at Columbus Camera Group years ago. I use it to make dummy 70mm rolls and to practice loading the reel in the light and to test the film backs. You could run a roll through and magic marker it with sharpie pen. That is what I do. Then look at the roll and count the frames

How far does the film counter go on the baby Linhof back? That should tell you what you need to know

After discovering this thread I went to EBAY to search for that Kodak WL Surveilance film. You were wise to bulk up.

B&H used to sell fresh 150' of Aero Plus-X 70mm perfed for $149. That was maybe ten years ago. Rollei has fresh 70mm perfed now and I've heard good things about it. Never tried it. You might have to order it from Germany. Ilford sells fresh HP5+ in perfed 70mm but you have to special order it during the summer when they are making it.

I lucked into my Surveillance WL film. I was on Ebay and I bought a roll for $35 and tested it. Then I found out he had half a case of it! It was a Army Navy surplus place out in California. That's when I bought all of it he had. Sure glad I did. $249 per roll is a lot but he has it in stock! BTW he has all kinds of 70mm. Even 3200 B&W

Back