70mm Film FUN up ahead

Nokton48 Hi, regarding the Aviphot 200, is your perforated or not? I recently bought three reels and was expecting double perforated. But after loading one cassette, I found out it was actually not perforated at all and cannot be used in the Hassy A70 cassettes.On another note, what kind of ISO do you use for the Kodak 2402 Plus-X Aerographic from India? I only have Clayton F76 (similar to D76) and Ilford DD-X developers.

If somebody here wants to pursue it, Hasselblad A70 Mags can be adapted to run unperforated 70mm film. A cog of the proper specs would need to be manufactured and tested. I have ONE left and it's worked for me, actually I had a Kiev88 that took Blad backs, and I used that to shoot unperforated 70mm. Somebody should take this up and report here. It's quite doable, and it's reversible, too.

Cal's friend Devil Christian popped one of mine and put it up on his website. The other factor is finding the right size rubber gasket to go onto the new sprocket. There is a washer in there that needs to be just like the original cog setup, so watch it. My originals I bought on Ebay twenty years ago, and were machined out of aluminum. Would be easy to make, but I am not a micro machinist (at least yet!) :p

5 inch 2402 PlusX Aerographic 5x7 Norma 500mm TeleXenar HC110 H by Nokton48, on Flickr

Second set of 5x7 2402 Kodak Plus-X Aerographic, loaded into Lisco film holders. Exposed in 5x7 Sinar Norma with Schneider 500mm Tele-Xenar in Compound 5 shutter, freshly overhauled by Mac at Camtronics. Tim Kelly style Broncolor Portrait lighting, exposure at F16 and F22, Developed in Unicolor 8x10 Unidrum, HC-110 "H" dilution 9 1/2 mins at 68F. Unicolor Uniroller spins the Unidrum. I think F16 came out quite well. Need to load some more of this up for additional testing. I like the tonality and the way the Aerographic sees through the Yellow Filter. Will contact print these up as I have time

Hi folks!

Many thanks to all of you for this inspiring thread, which helped me to try 70mm in 2022.
Since I came too late for the new perforated Rollei from macodirect (they answered me a few months ago that it is no longer produced), the only (cheap) option was Agfa Aviphot from an Indian seller on eBay.
Since I accidentally bought the unperforated film, I decided to make my own rubber wheel for Hasselblad A70 film magazine:

IMG_0390 resize.jpg

IMG_0394 resize.jpg
IMG_0397 resize.jpg

If you need one (or a few), I listed them on eBay, just tap "70mm Unperforated A70" and you will find them, or dm me here.

I produce and ship them from Ukraine. Our post service is doing impossible job by delivering parcels from and to abroad like nothing is happening.

The rubber wheel works just as the original one, keeping the frame spacing the same. Installation is easy and reversible.

Last edited:
Hi Igor_i,

THANK YOU for making these available.

"If somebody here wants to pursue it, Hasselblad A70 Mags can be adapted to run unperforated 70mm film. A cog of the proper specs would need to be manufactured and tested. I have ONE left and it's worked for me, actually I had a Kiev88 that took Blad backs, and I used that to shoot unperforated 70mm. Somebody should take this up and report here. It's quite doable, and it's reversible, too."

I just bought two of these for myself. Using a rubber ring with a "V" imprint is clever; that should double the pulling power of film through the magazine.

Last edited:
Nokton48 Hi, regarding the Aviphot 200, is your perforated or not? I recently bought three reels and was expecting double perforated. But after loading one cassette, I found out it was actually not perforated at all and cannot be used in the Hassy A70 cassettes.

On another note, what kind of ISO do you use for the Kodak 2402 Plus-X Aerographic from India? I only have Clayton F76 (similar to D76) and Ilford DD-X developers.
I did a test on this stock at different speeds and found that I got the best results at 100 ISO. Since I prefer a little faster for handheld work, I tried shooting it at 200 and pushing one stop. My negs were a tad thin, so I might add a bit more to the development time. But this is a great film stock. Just a bit delicate, as Nokton48 noted here previously.

If you need one (or a few), I listed them on eBay, just tap "70mm Unperforated A70" and you will find them, or dm me here.

I produce and ship them from Ukraine. Our post service is doing impossible job by delivering parcels from and to abroad like nothing is happening.

The rubber wheel works just as the original one, keeping the frame spacing the same. Installation is easy and reversible.

These look great; thank you for making them available! I just ordered a pair from you.

One of the good use case for 70mm film is Panorama (6x12 or 6x17). For example, a roll of 120 film can only yield 4 frames of 6x17. But a fat roll of 70mm can probably yield many more photos without reloading.

I saw that zhorton has successfully made 6x10 out of the Graflex GH50 back, and wonder if there is any other method to achieve even wider panorama.

Absolutely! 70mm panorama is the perfect marriage of shooting format and film format. I can't believe that no one ever manufactured a back like that. That's what motivated me to create the 6x10 RH50 mod. I tested other backs and here's what I found:

• The Linhof Cine Rollex 70mm back has a lot of limitations that prevent it from being usefully expanded beyond 6x9. (I posted about this earlier in the thread if you want details.)
  • I've modded a Beatie Coleman Transet back to about 6x10. It works, but I do not recommend the back itself. It is extremely heavy, cumbersome to load and unload, and uses custom rollers for feed and takeup. As Nokton48 mentioned earlier, this means that it must be loaded in complete darkness. Basically, the effort required to modify this is not worth it for the result, at least in my opinion.
  • The Graflex RH50, due to a steel plate, is rough to machine, but produces by far the best results. 6x10 works wonderfully and produces excellent panoramic images (see my previous examples). I've also modded this to 6x12, which is the absolute maximum, but that extra 2cm requires a massive re-machining of the back to carve out a larger darkslide channel, and then the interior of the back has to be rebuilt with new components to make it all work. Definitely doable, for way more effort. So when expense is taken into account, RH50 at 6x10 is the sweet spot for 70mm pano! I'll put a back or two on Ebay soon; folks in this forum can also DM me if you want one ($350).
  • Backs for 4x5 cameras can only produce a maximum pano width of 6x12, so any larger would require a 70mm back for 5x7 cameras. I'm not aware of any that exist.

Thank you all for purchasing the A70 rubber wheels! All shipped!
If there will be any questions - do not hesitate to write here.

Also, I can make them for Mamiya RB 70mm back (or any other back), but I need to have the original cog wheel to measure the dimensions.

OK Now everybody post how these are working for you. My backstory is that I went Kiev88 Pentacon6 Exacta6 CRAZY back in the Wild West 80s. The testosterone was flying at the Kiev Delphi Forum. Lots of funko-o crazy a$$ stuff mucho neurotic fun going on. Then it petered out. Mike Fourman owed me some money for something that didn't work, and didn't want to give me back money, so he allowed me to obtain, his Hartblei legit 1006, which Hartblei modded to take Hassy Backs. So of course I had to shoot 70mm in my Harblei 1006, with all those golden P6 lenses. Anyway that's how I discovered the "rubber wheel" and it pulled film reliably through my Hartblei/Blad. That's when I discovered that WL Surveillance film behaves marvelously like the original Tri-X, and I bagged half a case of it from a Military Surplus place out in Utah.

70mm Kodak Surveillance Film by Nokton48, on Flickr

Last edited:
A few photos of classic manual cameras from the 70mm Aviphot Aero film.

Kiev 4 with Jupiter 8M lens - Linhof_Xenar150f45_Aviphot_016 by Zheng, on Flickr

Voigtlander Prominent with Skoparon 35/3.5 lens - Linhof_Xenar150f45_Aviphot_008 by Zheng, on Flickr

Ikoflex Ia TLR with Novar 75/3.5 lens - Linhof_Xenar150f45_Aviphot_002 by Zheng, on Flickr

I was trying to test two things:

1) Agfa Aviphot Aero 200 film, which is unperforated and comes in 150 feet rolls. I shot the film at ISO 100, but forgot to factor in the bellows extension due to macro distance. So overall I could use 1 stop more of exposure. But otherwise, the negatives looks quite healthy with nice contrast.

2) Graflex GH-50 roll film back for 70mm film. I got the later lever version which has two soft foam rollers that can work with unperforated 70mm film. It worked quite well: kept the film flat, and produced even spacing. The spacing is a bit bigger than Pentax 6x7, so I cut the film into 2 frames per strip. This works fine with scanner carrier and film storage sleeves.

Technical info:

- Camera: Linhof Tech V
- Lens: Schneider Xenar 150mm f/4.5
- Film back: Graflex GH-50
- Film: Agfa Aviphot Aero 200
- Development: Clayton F76+, 1+9, 7min@68F
- Scanning: Epson V700 with Epson Scan
- PostPro: Adobe Lightroom

Wow 70mm with a Technika. Saweet.

Saw this over at Phototrio. Quoting "Pentax Pete"

I was given a cassette of ROLLEI RETRO 400S which I found out is an 'Aerial Survey film', contrasty and with extended RED Sensitivity so I experimented with different developers. First cut length in my Home-Made FX-37 diluted 1+9 showed lack of shadow details and high highlight contrast so I mixed some DIAFINE 2-Bath to a Formula in my notes and gave 5 mins in each -- I got 400ASA and better negs. I also tried a YELLOW and RED Filter CAMERA

Calzone should dig this info. "Mr. Diafine" Devil Calvin

I want to use 70mm Ilford HP5+ fresh shooting at EI 1600 and developing for 3200 in HC110. Negs I have gotten on 35mm have been really excellent, like the grain and the mobility of EI 1600. Can shoot handheld under most conditions. In fact I will be trying it shortly on 4x5 in my Norma Handy, the Graphmatics and Liscos are loaded ready to go. Having fresh HP5+ is no savings over roll HP5+ but it gives you 70mm firepower.

@Nokton48 Thanks for the forwarded suggestion of different developers for Aviphot 200 (Rollei Retro 400). I do have Diafine bricks in storage, and might give it a go once I free up some space in my photo chemicals cabinet (eh, I mean guest bathroom cabinet).

I also bought some fresh TD-3 Techpan Developer from Photographers Formulary, intended for Technical Pan use. Maybe TD-3 might help with contrast and shadow details for Aviphot 200? But I guess it will not help with speed. Anyone tried this combo?

Here's another shows great promise, from a thread over at Phototrio:

I repeat the MeCD4 formula here:
Bath A
Metol...............................1g
Sodium Sulfite anh..........35g
Color developer CD-4......4g
Sodium Metabisulfite........1g
Water to............................1L

Bath B
Sodium Sulfite anh............35g
Sodium Carbonate anh......30g
Water to..............................1L

Develop 3m +3m 25C, correct the time for other temperatures, I use the Ilfordphoto chart.
Agitate in Bath A 2 inversions every 30s
Agitate in Bath B 2 inversions at start and 2 inversions at half time only.

MeCD4 flattens the S curve of the Aviphot films to some extent giving EI=200 for Aviphot 200 and EI=80 for Aviphot 80.
CD-4 appears generally the least likely of the CD series but it may cause an allergic reaction in some individuals.

Note: I bought the chems to make this, I'm going to try it. Results look awesome. It really does flatten it's curve! Mixed up a gallon of Diafine "A" and Diafine "B" too. Should last forever.

Here's the thread. Goes pretty intensely into the Chemistry of it RECOMMENDED READING RE: AVIPHOT 200

Last edited:
Here's another shows great promise, from a thread over at Phototrio:
I repeat the MeCD4 formula here:
Bath A
Metol...............................1g
Sodium Sulfite anh..........35g
Color developer CD-4......4g
Sodium Metabisulfite........1g
Water to............................1L
Bath B
Sodium Sulfite anh............35g
Sodium Carbonate anh......30g
Water to..............................1L
Develop 3m +3m 25C, correct the time for other temperatures, I use the Ilfordphoto chart.
Agitate in Bath A 2 inversions every 30s
Agitate in Bath B 2 inversions at start and 2 inversions at half time only.

MeCD4 flattens the S curve of the Aviphot films to some extent giving EI=200 for Aviphot 200 and EI=80 for Aviphot 80.
CD-4 appears generally the least likely of the CD series but it may cause an allergic reaction in some individuals.

Note: I bought the chems to make this, I'm going to try it. Results look awesome. It really does flatten it's curve! Mixed up a gallon of Diafine "A" and Diafine "B" too. Should last forever.

Here's the thread. Goes pretty intensely into the Chemistry of it RECOMMENDED READING RE: AVIPHOT 200

CD-4 is 4-(N-Ethyl-N-2-hydroxyethyl)-2-methylphenylenediamine sulfate. It’s available as a raw chemical

You can become sensitised to virtually any chemical. So get the MDS/MSDS and take appropriate precautions for handling.

In the colour process CD-4 develops silver and the oxidised developer combines with a colour coupler to form part of the colour dye complex. For B&W it is just developing, and any remaining CD-4, oxidised or not, gets washed out.

Marty

Thanks Marty! Apparently, it REALLY flattens the Aviphot 200 curve BIGTIME, like a magic bullet. So I want to give it a GOOD go. Maybe start with 5 Minutes and Five Minutes, then back off if I need to. Doubt I will.

RockNRoll Photographer by Nokton48, on Flickr

A scanned inkjet print, presented to me by another fellow RockNRoll Photographer. Going for the wide shot showing all the band members in best light. Lots of FUN and I was delighted to receive this print. OK so this picture explains WHY I go through all this bother to shoot 70mm. With a motor Hassy you have a finely tuned instrument made for shooting 70mm. At this Outdoor Rock shoot, 12 exposure rolls go fast and then you have to jack around. In a way it is like shooting digital, in the sense of undisturbed photo firepower. It's definitely been a good way to go for me, and I am preparing to put it to use in the Spring. For some unknown to me reason, Motor Hassys use to be WAY cheaper than crank models. Not so much any more I guess LOL

Last edited:
SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Hasselblad A70 70mm Film Back "Rubber Wheels" arrived today from the Ukraine! They look good and I'll test them as I have time. Replacing these cogs with the "sprocket wheel" in the A70, allows you to run unperforated film in the Hasselblad 70mm Film Magazine. Which really opens up a lot of 70mm film options, there is a lot of unperforated out there. Top sides and bottom sides shown here.

Last edited:
70mm DuPont Cronar High Speed Pan by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is 75 feet of unopened DuPont Cronar High Speed Pan expired in 1968. I have loaded about a 220 length to try it; the emulsion looks good not mouldy or anything like that. It was 500 ASA film so it will be fun to see what comes of it; Could also be respooled into 616. I will load it in one of my Graflex RH50 4x5 Graphlock holders (film gate is 6x7cm). Anybody here familiar with this film? This is very thick stock, I will say that.

Back