70mm Film FUN up ahead

JA Maurer P-2 camera collage 2.jpeg

Another interesting 70mm camera: J.A. Maurer P-2 aero camera. I was mostly after the Schneider Xenotar 80mm f/2.8 lens (which has perfectly round aperture control), since the camera does not come with any power supply or documentation. In theory, it can shoot at 10 frames per second with its focal plane shutter and runs through a 50 ft roll in no time. :cool: I doubt I will ever figure out how to power and control this camera...

That's cool. Any Xenotar is going for big money these days. Good Snag.

Xenotar Literature by Nokton48, on Flickr

If you want to put it in a shutter, it takes a Compur #1 according to original literature.
I will start with adapting the Xenotar 80/2.8 to Pentax 6x7, which has focal plane shutter. The spec sheets says the 80mm Xenotar can cover 6x7 perfectly even wide open.

Hello again!
Hope everyone who ordered the rubber wheels is satisfied with them.
If there are any issues - do not hesitate to write here.

Regarding the film itself (70mm Aviphot from India), I must say I'm disappointed, cause the emulsion is already spoiled. This is not right to say that the film is still fine when it makes such dots:
Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 21.54.27.png
(cropped 6x6 shot)

Hi @igor_i my first 20 shots from the Aviphot 200 Aero (from India) also has the mottled emulsion, which is very obvious in the shadows. I heard from others on photrio that it happens more in the beginning of a long 150 ft roll, and things should improve when getting into inner part of the roll. I have not gotten far enough to verify that claim.

Encouraging. If it were me, I'd peel off the outer bad layer, use it for testing developers, even making DUMMY ROLLS for checking film backs. At least it's a 150 foot roll, instead of the usual 100 footers for most B&W emulsions. And it's relatively cheap

Hi @igor_i my first 20 shots from the Aviphot 200 Aero (from India) also has the mottled emulsion, which is very obvious in the shadows. I heard from others on photrio that it happens more in the beginning of a long 150 ft roll, and things should improve when getting into inner part of the roll. I have not gotten far enough to verify that claim.
Honestly, I had a completely opposite experience.
The first roll was perfect (I brought two 45m cans with expiration date 2012-12), I left good feedback to the seller. The two following rolls that I shot were with these dots.

70mm Films I have and intend to keep on using:

1. Kodak Aerographic 2402 Plus-X, I use it like regular Plus-X, it creates a "beefy" that I really like. D23 1:1.
2. Kodak original Plus-X 2002 Perfed, still in perfect condition. D23 1:1.
3. Agfa Aviphot 200, purchased new from that German Dealer that had hundreds of rolls. Used film pops up sometimes. MECD4 Two Bath or Diafine.
4. Kodak Tri-X 400, an unperforated roll 2002 purchased fresh from B&H, D23 1:1.
5. Kodak WL Surveillance Film, ADOX Borax Replenished. Behaves in many ways like Olde original Tri-X. Reminds me of it. 400 EI or push higher
6. EFKE PL100 Unperforated, purchased fresh from J&C. PMK+ or D23 1:1.
7. Kodak Infared 2424, purchased unopened and frozen for decades. Always used D19 for Max Infared Effect. Also have some rolled in 120.
8. Dupont Cronar Olde Unperforated 1962 unknown emulsion very thick base material.
9. Ilford HP5+ Perfed Fresh, from B&H when they were closing it out. Rating at EI 1600, developing for 3200 EI HC110 "H". Still available.
10. Kodak 2485 Perfed Uber Speed Recording Film. UBER GRAIN. To be determined. A rare find. Probably ACUFINE

Last edited:
I repeat the MeCD4 formula here:
Bath A
Metol...............................1g
Sodium Sulfite anh..........35g
Color developer CD-4......4g
Sodium Metabisulfite........1g
Water to............................1L

Bath B
Sodium Sulfite anh............35g
Sodium Carbonate anh......30g
Water to..............................1L

Develop 3m +3m 25C, correct the time for other temperatures, I use the Ilfordphoto chart.
Agitate in Bath A 2 inversions every 30s
Agitate in Bath B 2 inversions at start and 2 inversions at half time only.

MeCD4 flattens the S curve of the Aviphot films to some extent giving EI=200 for Aviphot 200 and EI=80 for Aviphot 80.
CD-4 appears generally the least likely of the CD series but it may cause an allergic reaction in some individuals.

I have all the chems to make this, I believe. The other obvious candidate is Diafine. I got a gallon of A and B from B&H. Lasts until it dries up. The MECD4 Dev really does somewhat straighten the film's curve. Wear rubber gloves and good ventilation. I have a friend in NYC that uses Diafine with 120 Aviphot 200, the Diafine really does have a compensating effect.

Sabrina is a custom 4x5 camera built by Morten Kolve from Norway. It is 3D printed, lightweight, and very compact. I wanted to use it with the Graflex RH-50 film back.

Camera body: Will Travel 4x5 customized
Lens: Rodenstock Grandagon 58mm f/5.6 for Graflex XL
Lens cone: M65 focusing tube, zone focus
Back: Graflex RH-50 back that uses 70mm film (6x7 frame, supporting both perforated and non-perforated film)
Viewfinder: 21mm generic optical finder

PXL_20230306_204323888.PORTRAIT Large.jpeg
PXL_20230306_204404881.PORTRAIT Large.jpeg
PXL_20230306_204414457.PORTRAIT Large.jpeg

70mm Kodak WL Surveillance Film D23 1:1 20' 62F by Nokton48, on Flickr

70mm Kodak WL Surveillance Film D23 1:1 20' 62F by Nokton48, on Flickr

Plaubel Makiflex Graflex RH50 70mm Back, Kodak Surveillance Film, D23 1:1 20 minutes at 62F. Two reel Paterson Tank Modded 70mm Reel holds 220 length, I like the WL Surveillance (bank camera film?) very high speed, pushes to 1600 EI with good results. As you can see I bracketed the roll to give myself choices in negative selection. 70mm HP5+ also available and has a different rendering than this stuff. The D23 provides a wide range of soft tonality that I kind of like. Previously I have been developing this film in replenished ADOX Borax MQ, which results in a much "beefier" looking negative. Good to have a choice

Lens was 180mm f5.6 Plaubel Makiflex Auto Iris Xenar, with yellow medium filter. Indicated exposure 1/125 @ F22. Exposed at 1/125 F22, F16, F11, F8.

Mac at Camtronics has CLA'ed and replaced light seals (which I supplied) on two A70's, and I've just tested both with dummy 70mm film, and counting as well as spacing is perfect. He said one was really dirty inside, needed cleaning. It's like new now. The other one he says is OK, not great, but it WORKS. Good enough for my uses!

So now I have five working good A70's, and now four Graflex RH50's, the RH-50's will fit about everything. Great on Makiflexes. Now to load some 70mm cartridges. He installed the new light seals and did the CLA's for $60 each, quite reasonable. I think you can ship to them, enquire.

Last edited:
DSC05743 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Kodak WL Surveillance 70mm Film ADOX Borax Developer Replenished Kindermann 70mm Tank Hartblei 1006 Body Modified to take Hasselblad Film Backs Pentacon Six Lenses Vivitar 283 Strobe XTC Mini Softbox. Shooting P6 lenses on 70mm film was a total hoot. Beefy development from the ADOX.

It's for slide duplication with the Automatic Bellows. But part of it is missing, looks like some homemade parts added for some application. Nice looking A70's, too :)

Back