A Chat with Leica AG CEO about the M9 Sensor

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
1:14 AM
I just completed a chat with Mr. Alfred Schopf, the CEO of Leica AG. We had a friendly chat (in German), which was concluded with him inviting me to email him any time I had questions, after which we then could chat on the phone about it. I must say that he is a very nice man, and he pays attention to the comments/complaints that Leica users have been making.

We talked about several issues, but I recall the following highlights:
1. Leica is working on finding/developing a new glass cover for the CCD sensor. Mr. Schopf told me that they worked throughout December on this issue, and he knows that Leica cannot spend "four years on it" since by then it would be outdated. He talked about the problems of how to glue the glass on the sensor, and he mentioned the edges of the sensor and how to make them weather proof.

2. He affirmed Leica's customer service offer to replace free of charge the defective sensor. I asked him whether Leica would include second hand bought cameras, and he said "of course, it does."

3. He told me that when a Leica camera is sent in for repair, Leica offers rental cameras until the camera gets repaired.

4. He told me that they really don't know much about what goes into the Leica batteries and the generic batteries, but he does not believe that generic batteries can harm the Leica cameras.

5. I have to add this point" he thinks that my German is flawless! :D

I will try to recall other smaller issues that he may have mentioned. I hope that this summary is useful to you. After talking with Mr. Schopf, I feel happy to be a Leica owner and user.

Wow, going straight to the top with your concerns!

I wonder if Stephen Harper will take my call?

So, the man isn't distant and unreachable in his corporate ivory tower... Good for him! And good for you, for becoming the voice that alerts him of the concerns of his constituents (we're not customers!). Keep us posted! :)

Raid, I am impressed that he responded and even more impressed with your German. Thanks for voicing the concerns. Cheers.

Raid, I know that this was extra work on top of your additional responsibilities. Thank you very much for doing this. It is appreciated, along with your flawless German.

It was a pleasure for me to chat with the Leica CEO. I missed his call to me this morning, so I called him on his cell number. I talked with two (female) employees before I was switched to him. His first question to me was whether "Raid" was my first name or my family name. Then he switched (politely) from Herr Raid to Herr Amin :)

Some years ago, I contacted the CEO of Leica USA for an entirely different matter (to commend a Leica representative who was very helpful with a problem I had with one of my M6TTL bodies). He replied, and he was very polite, yet approachable. I never spoke with the man, though... again, different circumstances, same behavior. Maybe it's in the corporate culture of Leica.

Again, Raid, thanks for your report and keep us posted! :)

3. He told me that when a Leica camera is sent in for repair, Leica offers rental cameras until the camera gets repaired.

Not in the USA. At least the option was never offered to me when I asked.
Also I could not imagine how much a 4 month rental (the time it took to get my camera repaired) would have cost.

p.s. nice work Raid.

Some years ago, I contacted the CEO of Leica USA for an entirely different matter (to commend a Leica representative who was very helpful with a problem I had with one of my M6TTL bodies). He replied, and he was very polite, yet approachable. I never spoke with the man, though... again, different circumstances, same behavior. Maybe it's in the corporate culture of Leica.

Again, Raid, thanks for your report and keep us posted! :)

No problem. I sometimes take risks, but there would have been no harm if he had not replied to my initial email to him.

Not in the USA. At least the option was never offered to me when I asked.
Also I could not imagine how much a 4 month rental (the time it took to get my camera repaired) would have cost.

p.s. nice work Raid.

He must have meant Leica in Germany. Try asking for a loaner from NJ and copy Leica AG in Germany.

Mr. Schopf told me that after he became CEO of Leica, he started using RF Leica cameras. It took him some time to get used to RF focusing, but now he would never leave RF cameras. he repeated twice or three times the Leica offer to replace for free the damaged sensors, and I acknowledged to him that this is appreciated. He acknowledged the fact that some users see something special in the M9 and its sensor, and that is why Leica is working very hard to find a technical solution to the sensor issue.

Back