A Prediction - The Leica SL-2 is Coming Soon

Looks like a possibility according to Leica Rumors. But the longer I use my M10-P (and M-P 240 before it) I'm thinking 24 megapixels is plenty for me (just about perfect, in fact).

Plus, I doubt anyone would get the full benefit out of a 40+ megapixel M camera without using a tripod.

I agree. You would need to make very large prints to see a difference.

Huss,

11/24 Leica Store L.A. A RSVP is required. PM me and I'll forward you the link.

Itinerary:

11:00-11:20 AM Photowalk Check-In

11:30-12:30 PM Guided Photowalk with SL2 on loan.*

3:00-6:00 PM Pro Discovery with on site model.

6:30-7:30 PM Artist Talk and presentation.

7:30-9:00 PM Reception and hands on demo.

* Camera loans for Photowalk are offered on a first come first serve basis. Valid ID, Credit Card, and SD Card required.

Cal

Thanks for being so thoughtful Cal and posting this. Unfortunately I'll be out of town from 22nd until Dec 3. Figures..

Plus, I doubt anyone would get the full benefit out of a 40+ megapixel M camera without using a tripod.

Bill,

What about at a crazy shutter speed like 1/40,000 of a second exposure using the "electronic shutter."

If you enable the electronic shutter on the SL and use auto you get all these shutter speeds faster than 1/4,000 second.

I'm not so sure a tripod would help if you are shooting within these ultra high shutter speeds. Not so hard at a base ISO of 400 in bright light in the summer to get into this range. Pretty seamless because I generally find out that I'm in electronic shutter range after I import into Lightroom.

I'm pretty sure though at more moderate shutter speeds you are correct.

Also don't underestimate IBIS.

Cal

Thanks for being so thoughtful Cal and posting this. Unfortunately I'll be out of town from 22nd until Dec 3. Figures..

Huss,

The NYC event worked out for me. I'll be in Europe in the front half of December.

Kinda the reason why I pulled the trigger and bought the APO 35 Cron.

Cal

Huss,

The NYC event worked out for me. I'll be in Europe in the front half of December.

Kinda the reason why I pulled the trigger and bought the APO 35 Cron.

Cal

Congratulations, Cal. Such APO lenses must be awesome.
Where will you be in Europe? Italy?

Nice. Where in Europe in particular? Jealous.

Huss,

Kinda crazy a free luxury vacation/River cruize. I had mentioned that my gal is a fashion blogger with nearly 700K followers. Pretty much she has to do some posting on Instagram, so this is a gig for her, but I get to go as a "Plus-One."

Amsterdam layover at the Pulitzer Amsterdam Legend. The river cruize follows the Rhine River and starts in Cologne (4th most populated city in Germany) and stops at Koblenz, Baden-Baden (Mercedes Benz), Strausbourg (France), and ends in Basel (Switzerland). We have a layover in Basel and will be staying at the Gaia.

Of course the level of luxury is outragious. Flying is Business Class, on the cruise ship there is a "Pillow Menu," and we have our own butler.

Two years ago there was a "Plus-One" trip to Madrid. Business flight, a Mercedes limo from the hotel picked us up from the airport. We basically stayed at a palace (Palace de los Dukes) that was converted into a luxury hotel that was a few blocks from this rediculas palace for the King and Queen that has 375 rooms and is so large it makes anything we have in Washinton D.C. look like a bungalow.

Pretty much a VIP treatment that is so crazy that it is like being Jay-Z and Beyonce.

We were told to go to the Biblioteca Nacional for International Book Day. Security informed us that the place was closed, but then some women chased us down to give us our behind the scenes tour.

The phone rang and we were directed to go to this sister luxury hotel on Mad-Rid's Fifth Avenue for lunch. Pretty much the food was so good and rich that it seemed likely that I should go to the nearest emergency room to get stents installed.

The phone rang again and we were directed to go to a suite in the hotel for a magazine interview, a video shoot, and a photo shoot. Pretty much we used this luxury hotel as a studio. Stylist, hair makeup and crews.

We had a guided walk that included an entourage. We ended up at the Prado which was jammed with lines, but no lines for us. The Limo from the hotel picked us up, because that night was a black tie event.

Kinda crazy how on a Wednesday at work I get this panaced E-mail from my gal that I needed a Tux by Friday before we left for Spain. I hate the world of fashion because this is how they run. Because I'm a skinny and lanky size 38 and men's sizes start at size 40 pretty much I have to spring for either Prada or Paul Smith.

So I scramble to secure a Paul Smith tux. Although there are 4 Paul Smith stores in NYC, only one carries the formal wear, and because Paul Smith is so boutique this one store basically carries one of each size, and when that is sold pretty much it is sold out. I called and luckily they had a size 38 for me, and they put it aside for me.

Then I had to get the tux fitted within two days. It was actually a good thing buying a tux; a week later I had another black tie event held at the Grand Ballroom at the Plaza. "Maggie" at another formal event at the Sony Play Station Theater won a "Shorty Award" in fashion and basically beat Victoria Beckham.

Another funny story is somehow I have to go to Gabriella Hearst's birthday party. This is the heiress from the Rudalph Hearst newspaper empire.

It starts when "Maggie" informs me that she is expecting a courier to drop off some clothes. This happens all the time, but this time is different because the clothing is UBER expensive. When I inquire how expensive, she says, "About $20K."

So when I see the clothes I understand, Perhaps the handbag alone was $5K, then there was this silk cocktail dress that had newspaper headlines and rosebuds to riff off the Hearst newspaper empire. Of course there was a coat. Pretty much these clothes are to dress "Maggie" for an event, and these clothes have to be returned.

The celebration is a grand opening of a store on Madison Avenue, the store is within a luxury hotel, and the birthday party is in a private room within the hotel. A friend of Gabriella's happens to be a Latin Grammy Award winning performer, and he will be be doing a few songs.

I am near center stage, and somehow there is this guy with an IPAD who is the soundman. Pretty much I'm in the sweetspot. Maggie during the performance tells me that Gabriella Hearst is standing right behind me, but I can't really get out of her way.

When the birthday cake came out and we sang Happy Birthday, I tried to get out of all the shots, but basically I was in every shot. LOL. It is really weird getting into the upper strata. If they only knew who I really am...

Cal

Sometimes I wonder if I'm last walking photographer on Earth. :)

You should also know that under low light conditions the electronic gain of the VF'er is a godsend for night shooting. In this regard it is better than an optical VF'er. Kinda like nightvision built into the camera.

In use I would depress the joystick and use the magnification to focus, then tap the shutterbutton to get the full frame.

Pretty much a SLR like experience.
If I would use all of it while I walk and take pictures, I'll be motion sick in few minutes.

Congratulations, Cal. Such APO lenses must be awesome.
Where will you be in Europe? Italy?

Raid,

Short answer: A Rhine River cruise with layovers in Amsterdam and Basel.

Kinda crazy how this for me is kind of a free trip/vacation.

Also know that Leica is one of my gal's followers.

The APO glass certainly has an interesting rendering. I sent you a few JPEGS. That guy on the walking the bike was just two fast grab shots, bang-bang exploiting the AF. The APO with the enhanced contrast in the in focus areas heightens perceived sharpness then there is this smooth OOF transition.

I can see why owners of the APO lenses shoot mostly at F2.0 with the Crons.

Cal

Sometimes I wonder if I'm last walking photographer on Earth. :)

If I would use all of it while I walk and take pictures, I'll be motion sick in few minutes.

Ko.Fe.

Sea sickness is an awful feeling. Pretty much after you throw up you just want to die.

The SL never bothered me, but then again I am an offshore fisherman and have spent lots of time in the "shipping lanes" Tuna and shark fishing. I use to go cod fishing in 25 foot swells in January-February.

There are plenty of reports though where the EVF induces headaches and sea sickness.

The EVF in low light pretty much is like "night vision." The signals get amped up so pretty much it is like day, even though it is night.

Cal

Raid,

Short answer: A Rhine River cruise with layovers in Amsterdam and Basel.

Kinda crazy how this for me is kind of a free trip/vacation.

Also know that Leica is one of my gal's followers.

The APO glass certainly has an interesting rendering. I sent you a few JPEGS. That guy on the walking the bike was just two fast grab shots, bang-bang exploiting the AF. The APO with the enhanced contrast in the in focus areas heightens perceived sharpness then there is this smooth OOF transition.

I can see why owners of the APO lenses shoot mostly at F2.0 with the Crons.

Cal

As a boy, I grew up in Bonn, and I have visited many places along the Rhine. We visited Basel recently. A very nice place to visit.

Huss,

Kinda crazy a free luxury vacation/River cruize. I had mentioned that my gal is a fashion blogger with nearly 700K followers. Pretty much she has to do some posting on Instagram, so this is a gig for her, but I get to go as a "Plus-One."

Amsterdam layover at the Pulitzer Amsterdam Legend. The river cruize follows the Rhine River and starts in Cologne (4th most populated city in Germany) and stops at Koblenz, Baden-Baden (Mercedes Benz), Strausbourg (France), and ends in Basel (Switzerland). We have a layover in Basel and will be staying at the Gaia.

Of course the level of luxury is outragious. Flying is Business Class, on the cruise ship there is a "Pillow Menu," and we have our own butler.

Two years ago there was a "Plus-One" trip to Madrid. Business flight, a Mercedes limo from the hotel picked us up from the airport. We basically stayed at a palace (Palace de los Dukes) that was converted into a luxury hotel that was a few blocks from this rediculas palace for the King and Queen that has 375 rooms and is so large it makes anything we have in Washinton D.C. look like a bungalow.

Pretty much a VIP treatment that is so crazy that it is like being Jay-Z and Beyonce.

We were told to go to the Biblioteca Nacional for International Book Day. Security informed us that the place was closed, but then some women chased us down to give us our behind the scenes tour.

The phone rang and we were directed to go to this sister luxury hotel on Mad-Rid's Fifth Avenue for lunch. Pretty much the food was so good and rich that it seemed likely that I should go to the nearest emergency room to get stents installed.

The phone rang again and we were directed to go to a suite in the hotel for a magazine interview, a video shoot, and a photo shoot. Pretty much we used this luxury hotel as a studio. Stylist, hair makeup and crews.

We had a guided walk that included an entourage. We ended up at the Prado which was jammed with lines, but no lines for us. The Limo from the hotel picked us up, because that night was a black tie event.

Kinda crazy how on a Wednesday at work I get this panaced E-mail from my gal that I needed a Tux by Friday before we left for Spain. I hate the world of fashion because this is how they run. Because I'm a skinny and lanky size 38 and men's sizes start at size 40 pretty much I have to spring for either Prada or Paul Smith.

So I scramble to secure a Paul Smith tux. Although there are 4 Paul Smith stores in NYC, only one carries the formal wear, and because Paul Smith is so boutique this one store basically carries one of each size, and when that is sold pretty much it is sold out. I called and luckily they had a size 38 for me, and they put it aside for me.

Then I had to get the tux fitted within two days. It was actually a good thing buying a tux; a week later I had another black tie event held at the Grand Ballroom at the Plaza. "Maggie" at another formal event at the Sony Play Station Theater won a "Shorty Award" in fashion and basically beat Victoria Beckham.

Another funny story is somehow I have to go to Gabriella Hearst's birthday party. This is the heiress from the Rudalph Hearst newspaper empire.

It starts when "Maggie" informs me that she is expecting a courier to drop off some clothes. This happens all the time, but this time is different because the clothing is UBER expensive. When I inquire how expensive, she says, "About $20K."

So when I see the clothes I understand, Perhaps the handbag alone was $5K, then there was this silk cocktail dress that had newspaper headlines and rosebuds to riff off the Hearst newspaper empire. Of course there was a coat. Pretty much these clothes are to dress "Maggie" for an event, and these clothes have to be returned.

The celebration is a grand opening of a store on Madison Avenue, the store is within a luxury hotel, and the birthday party is in a private room within the hotel. A friend of Gabriella's happens to be a Latin Grammy Award winning performer, and he will be be doing a few songs.

I am near center stage, and somehow there is this guy with an IPAD who is the soundman. Pretty much I'm in the sweetspot. Maggie during the performance tells me that Gabriella Hearst is standing right behind me, but I can't really get out of her way.

When the birthday cake came out and we sang Happy Birthday, I tried to get out of all the shots, but basically I was in every shot. LOL. It is really weird getting into the upper strata. If they only knew who I really am...

Cal

I hate you.....

;p

Couldn't happen to a more deserving hipster doofus!

Then I must be in "the lower strata" :{

However, I am very happy!

Good for you, Cal. Enjoy life.

Hi Cal,
the VIP level might be enjoyable but typically these Rhine river cruises are a senior citizen event for people who can walk around anymore. Entertainment and music style are accordingly ... bring your noise cancelling headphones and load some music on your phone. I hope it will be enjoyable and of course successful for Maggie - it's a business trip after all.
Bring some warm clothes, it might be freezing at the time.

Hi Cal,
the VIP level might be enjoyable but typically these Rhine river cruises are a senior citizen event for people who can walk around anymore. Entertainment and music style are accordingly ... bring your noise cancelling headphones and load some music on your phone. I hope it will be enjoyable and of course successful for Maggie - it's a business trip after all.
Bring some warm clothes, it might be freezing at the time.

Klaus,

Thanks for the heads up. An interesting adventure of sorts. I kinda expect surprises.

There is one stretch along the Rhine where it is like a slideshow of castles. I think I should bring the CL along. The Noct-Nikkor with the crop factor gives me an 87mm F1.2.

Perhaps you are saying I might be the only guy with a ponytail. LOL. I always seem to end up in these interesting sich-E-A-tions.

At Baden-Baden there is a Mercedes Benz tour on the itinerary, but for the most part we will wander around on our own in the port cities when we dock.

It is being promoted as the Christmas Market Cruise, but the biggest one seems to be in Strausbourg (France).

Cal

Oh well then it will be X-mas songs all day to get you in the mood for buying tree ornaments at every stop.:D

Klaus,

Bah-Humbug. I won't leave home without the earplugs.

Kind of reminds me of when I lived in Greenpoint and I rented a row house, but in front of the row house was a fire hydrant, and in the summer an icecream truck would park there all day.

I must of heard "Pop Goes The Weasel" a million times. It was maddening. Felt like buying a shotgun to pop the weasel.

Cal

Klaus,

Thanks for the heads up. An interesting adventure of sorts. I kinda expect surprises.

There is one stretch along the Rhine where it is like a slideshow of castles. I think I should bring the CL along. The Noct-Nikkor with the crop factor gives me an 87mm F1.2.

Perhaps you are saying I might be the only guy with a ponytail. LOL. I always seem to end up in these interesting sich-E-A-tions.

At Baden-Baden there is a Mercedes Benz tour on the itinerary, but for the most part we will wander around on our own in the port cities when we dock.

It is being promoted as the Christmas Market Cruise, but the biggest one seems to be in Strausbourg (France).

Cal

It will most likely include Drachenfels and then at Koblens the Lorelei.
Take along Peptobismol for the heavy dishes!

Back