A short Guide to the German language and the Messucherkamera and other notes

I really enjoyed that, Simon! I wish you a speedy recovery.

Years ago, I studied languages (including German) and linguistics, so that gave me an advantage here. (I ended up living in Portuguese-speaking countries - Brazil and Portugal - however.)

- Murray

i'm a germ. i come from germ-any.

not related to our lovely hobby, but a perfect example for the pitfalls of the german pronounciation: Kaiserslautern.
seems so difficult, that almost all american soldiers coming through here, call it K-town.
and then, send them to Pirmasens (i can be so mean ...)

(for your info: both Pirmasens and Kai ... K-town are small cities not far from where I live. remarkable only for their names, honestly speaking. except of course, if you serve in the US army, or you are a soccer fan)

Nice thread Simon!

Languages made a very interesting topic.

I am Italian but fell in love with photography while living in Germany...oh, well wait, in Bavaria actually :) and everything I learned about photography was either in english or german at the point that when I was talking to fellow italians friends I hardly knows the right terminology in my native language...

Down there is "Leica" and not "Laika" :)
I remember typing messsucherkamera, mittelformatkamera, rollfilmkamera, or belichtungsmesser in my e-bay.de search back then.

Now that I am living in Belgium I had to re-learn photography related terminology in French in case I want to discuss it with local friends...
The good things is that we don't need words to look at a photo.
Keep posting.

Servus und PfiatGott!

Giulio

i'm a germ. i come from germ-any.

not related to our lovely hobby, but a perfect example for the pitfalls of the german pronounciation: Kaiserslautern.
seems so difficult, that almost all american soldiers coming through here, call it K-town.
and then, send them to Pirmasens (i can be so mean ...)

(for your info: both Pirmasens and Kai ... K-town are small cities not far from where I live. remarkable only for their names, honestly speaking. except of course, if you serve in the US army, or you are a soccer fan)

For some reason, even some Germans struggle with Friedrichstraße...

Back