A TREAT for your Eyes... Noir at its Best

helen.HH

A smile & a wink…
Local time
1:07 PM
Thanks for the tip Helen. Love film noir. So DL-ing it as we speak.

If you haven't seen those, I highly recommend. Anthony Mann directed and the amazing John Alton shot it. I think you can find them on streaming or youtube but if you can't, let me know, I think I have them on my hard drive.

- Raw Deal
- T-Men
- Border Incident

John Alton wrote a book as well that is pretty interesting called "Painting With Light". I can't seem to find the quote but it said something like "John Alton could light a football stadium with a match and well placed mirrors."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painting_with_Light.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Just watched this B&W British Noir Film : 'Tiger Bay' 1959 / 1hr 46mins

It is on You Tube but only for the next 48 hours ~free
maybe first 15 minutes a little slow then takes off !

A MUST SEE... the shadows & lighting, the portraits, sublime cinematography, great acting, good storyline
Hope You can watch it ~ Thank You John Henderson for turning me unto it

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Foj3L3LIk

Tremendous on many levels. I was born just under two years after this films release. I can still recall the heady aroma of those cap guns! Thanks for the heads up, now digging further with another British classic - Brighton Rock (1948)

Thanks Helen, I enjoyed that.
I will have to make a point of visiting the transporter bridge which still exists - preferably on a foggy evening !

When movies still had a plot and a dialogue that made sense. These days flashy pyrotechnics mask a weak plot and infantile dialogue. How far we have regressed!

TCM has a film noir night usually once a week...or they used to . Excellent movies, although most are ""B" studios.
Hap

I saw John Mills once, at the bar of the Rock Hotel, Gibraltar, apparently one of his favourite haunts. In the foyer there were two delightful old ladies doing a jigsaw of the Queen with corgies. Our 'suite' had two carafes laid on, sherry for the ladies and whisky for the men.

I do wonder if it still the same.

(As an aside, when I first watched films of this age they were either projected poorly on old equipment or were on TVs with a poor picture. Time to revisit them methinks, the Third Man was on recently as was Ice Cold in Alex...)

Thanks for the tip Helen. Love film noir. So DL-ing it as we speak.

If you haven't seen those, I highly recommend. Anthony Mann directed and the amazing John Alton shot it. I think you can find them on streaming or youtube but if you can't, let me know, I think I have them on my hard drive.

- Raw Deal
- T-Men
- Border Incident

John Alton wrote a book as well that is pretty interesting called "Painting With Light". I can't seem to find the quote but it said something like "John Alton could light a football stadium with a match and well placed mirrors."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painting_with_Light.
Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Thank You Guy , will look into those movies !

Tremendous on many levels. I was born just under two years after this films release. I can still recall the heady aroma of those cap guns! Thanks for the heads up, now digging further with another British classic - Brighton Rock (1948)

yes, those caps and all the trouble she got into wanting... playing with Guns

Both versions of Brighton Rock were Brilliant
be it the B&W original or the modern Colour with Helen Mirren,
Yum , loved them ~

Back