A7 II or A7 + $400?

A7 II or A7 + $400?

• A7 + $400

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • A7 II

Votes: 87 71.9%

• Total voters
Won't the A7ii be available in a few weeks, though, in the US?
Depends on what you consider "a few weeks" - as I understand it, the camera is expected to be available in the US end of January/early February.

But even if it is available, I probably would put that US$400,- towards the fantastic 55/1.8 lens.

anybody who can't wait to get their fingers on the new A7II, do not buy from Japan! ( unless you can read Japanese ) Japanese Sony cameras come in Japanese only
Another problem with the home-market products is warranty and repairs in general. It's Japan or fix it yourself, buddy! There are however often amazing deals once the product has seen some shelf time (being still a current model), and the basic settings can be easy to learn. The best I have seen is about 60% off EU prices. A much smaller gain for Americans and many others, though, and exchange rates also change over time.

Depends on what you consider "a few weeks" - as I understand it, the camera is expected to be available in the US end of January/early February.

But even if it is available, I probably would put that US$400,- towards the fantastic 55/1.8 lens.

Actually, the camera will ship on December the 9th, less than 2 weeks from now.

B&H actually has the pre-order up already: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1102008-REG/sony_ilce7m2_b_a7ii_mirrorless_digital_camera.html

A7 is close to my ideal camera to use with legacy lenses.
I don't shoot sports, super-fast cars, or UFO, so I can live without IBIS.

Let the price of A7 come down to my range with more people getting the II version.

yesterday, i had the A7 mk.2 in my hands, and the relocated shutter button is quite the difference (to me).
it is the difference between a camera that can be used versus one that can't. whether this is worth the higher price for you, i can't tell. for now i choose neither sony, as i prefer film based Ms and a fuji X-T1.

yesterday, i had the A7 mk.2 in my hands, and the relocated shutter button is quite the difference (to me).
it is the difference between a camera that can be used versus one that can't. whether this is worth the higher price for you, i can't tell. for now i choose neither sony, as i prefer film based Ms and a fuji X-T1.

Hmm. For a camera that "can't be used," my A7 seems to have made quite a number of excellent photographs for me. :)

G

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much, unless I missed it upthread, is that the A7II is heavier than the original A7. 556g as opposed to 416g from the specs I've seen.

That's not a massive amount in itself, but if a light camera is one of the reasons one chose to go mirrorless, it all adds up. So, from that point of view, it's not about the $400.

That aside, I never shoot longer than 50mm lenses, so IS technology is of little use to me. Even at low light (and 75% of my work is hand-held night photography), I very rarely shoot at higher ISO than 3200 (even at 6400, the files are clean enough), which gives a plenty fast enough shutter speed. Faster autofocus? Can't knock that. But I can't actually remember ever having any issues with focus. If I need fast focus, then I break out the dSLR.

The ergonomics do look better, though. I do remember, when I first got the A7, finding that my finger wanted to go where the new shutter button will be. That said, it does make the new camera more bulky. Another reason why I'm happier with the original A7 for now.

If they had removed the low pass filter, kept the weight the same, got rid of that daft RAW compression nonsense (not that it's much of a practical issue), perhaps even improved dynamic range, then it might be more tempting.

Good change that isn't true. It is a completely different system, Sony has IBIS technology of its own and the camera departments don't work together....

Since both you and I don't have the information from the source, our guesses could be wrong or right with equal amount of chance? No? :D

I don't know how it compares with Sony's IBIS but my Pentax cameras have had IBIS for several years. It is nice and it does come in handy, but I probably shoot without it at least as often as I shoot with.

But...it is very handy in some situations and...if you don't want it you can always shut it off. :)

If you didn't have it to start with it is a bit difficult to turn it on. :mad:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much, unless I missed it upthread, is that the A7II is heavier than the original A7. 556g as opposed to 416g from the specs I've seen.

That's not a massive amount in itself, but if a light camera is one of the reasons one chose to go mirrorless, it all adds up. So, from that point of view, it's not about the $400.

It's of minor consequence for me. I use the A7 as a Leica R digital body, so its size and weight are really of no concern—the lenses dominate on those factors. The grip and all metal lens mount are the most important potential improvements.

G

There is a good chance that Sony get that technology from Olympus.

Sony has had the IBIS in the full frame A99 dslr for some time. They may be working with Olympus, Japanese companies often share ideas. The full frame 5 axis IBIS is a lot harder to develop then the 1/4th size 4/3rds sensor IBIS though. Pentax has had IBIS for almost ten years.

When I first saw the A7/R, I thought that the retro position of the shutter button was a mistake. It forces you into a unnatural position. It took some time for me to get used to it, but I still have to think about it when I grab the A7R. I think that the new grip and shutter button position is a fantastic improvement. Of course those who use RF bodies mostly may not like the more modern ergonomics. The small size of the A7 series was more of a issue to me at my age.

Since both you and I don't have the information from the source, our guesses could be wrong or right with equal amount of chance? No? :D
Well, Sony said the camera divisions aren't working together, I put my money on my guess: it is developed in house at Sony. But of course I don't know either.... you're right on that.

Back