A7 images, any lens

rhl-oregon

Cameras Guitars Wonders
Local time
5:50 AM
A7II and really like the camera. Never really understand what most of the complaints about these Sonys is really about. Only using adapted lenses - M-mount and Nikon F. Obviously many M-mounts just don't play well but there are enough that do. Really only carry 3 lenses with this camera - VC 15mm v3, Leica 28mm Elmarit v3 & Zeiss 50mm C-Sonnar - I find all of them superb. I also mostly shoot with -2EV permanently dialed in and adjust in post.

Glad to see the work of two of my favorite rff movie image makers here.

thank you very much Robert, very kind :) and very interesting the words 'movie image makers'. Not knowledgeable in theories I try to understand that, wonder if most of Craigs and my photos less emphasizing 'graphics' but 'humans' or being documentary has relevance?

now mostly gauging the performance / usability of my 3 CV wide angles, the 4.5/15, 4/21 and 4/25 resp. how I cope with such wide angels

Wide Heliar 4.5/15:

Untitled
by Andreas, on Flickr

Skopar 4/21

Untitled
by Andreas, on Flickr

Snapshot Skopar 4/25

Untitled
by Andreas, on Flickr

Sorry, Andreas, autocorrect struck again. "Movie" was inserted by the computer imp. I'm not trying to turn you or Crayg into videographers and will edit that mistake.

However, for me, the A7's audio inputs + wifi server capability persuaded me to accept an invitation from a videostream app inventor/ceo--an invitation based oddly enough on my photographs on Tumblr; video was not in my plans or interests! In the past month, I've posted 17 short videos (30secs tops) made in the field, transferred to my iPad, processed/uploaded at wifi cafes or in the evening at home. Some have had thousands of views (in comparison, my rff gallery images average maybe 30 views) and I have 1100 'followers.'

I'm enjoying that process most unexpectedly. The A7 built-in mics are so-so, but if one is willing to enlarge the rig slightly, one can hook up good shotgun mics/booms and get great stereo audio. I already own mics and stands for music recording, so I'm about to incorporate a Tascam digital audio processor that fits between the A7 and the tripod.

I have *no* cinematic aspiration, but 12-30sec videos offer the chance to create the visual equivalent of tanka, haiku, epigrams, and post them in environments where they might be seen by thousands. Little video projects shot alongside A7 photographs certainly have preoccupied me happily for the past month.

Lens-candy assortment--all flavors of BW ;-)

med_U45148I1429328922.SEQ.2.jpg

Contax G 45 2.0

med_U45148I1425449366.SEQ.0.jpg

ZM 35 2.8

med_U45148I1440626601.SEQ.1.jpg

Jupiter 12 / 35 2.8

med_U45148I1424666885.SEQ.2.jpg

Kobalux 28 3.5 ltm

med_U45148I1439578832.SEQ.2.jpg

OM Zuiko 21 3.5

A7
med_U3735I1415067557.SEQ.1.jpg

80-200/4 Vario Elmar

_dsc7178.jpg

100 2.8 Apo Macro

wood_duck.jpg

Canon FD 300mm f 4 L

contax_n_24-85.jpg

Contax N 24-85

nikon_24_2.8_ais_4.jpg

Nikon 24 2.8 Ais

Sorry, Andreas, autocorrect struck again. "Movie" was inserted by the computer imp. I'm not trying to turn you or Crayg into videographers and will edit that mistake.

However, for me, the A7's audio inputs + wifi server capability persuaded me to accept an invitation from a videostream app inventor/ceo--an invitation based oddly enough on my photographs on Tumblr; video was not in my plans or interests! In the past month, I've posted 17 short videos (30secs tops) made in the field, transferred to my iPad, processed/uploaded at wifi cafes or in the evening at home. Some have had thousands of views (in comparison, my rff gallery images average maybe 30 views) and I have 1100 'followers.'

I'm enjoying that process most unexpectedly. The A7 built-in mics are so-so, but if one is willing to enlarge the rig slightly, one can hook up good shotgun mics/booms and get great stereo audio. I already own mics and stands for music recording, so I'm about to incorporate a Tascam digital audio processor that fits between the A7 and the tripod.

I have *no* cinematic aspiration, but 12-30sec videos offer the chance to create the visual equivalent of tanka, haiku, epigrams, and post them in environments where they might be seen by thousands. Little video projects shot alongside A7 photographs certainly have preoccupied me happily for the past month.

haha, ok Robert, your computer, when being told image, is thinking movie. remarkable ;)
Certainly you make me curious again: How about sharing a link to your videos? Tascam sounds processor sounds very professional. Shooting from a tripod, or steady cam or 'free hand'?

abt. 9 years ago I noticed that video cams had become cheap and small ( relatively, now they are smaller and cheaper again ) and thought to fulfil the teenage dream of making videos. Bought a Panasonic GS 400, made some videos and soon started to take more and more still photos: That was the beginning of me plunging into photography! I have a few quite good mics, a self made preamp and a shock mount. hopefully I get inspired to give it another try!

Topcor-S f2 5cm:

Untitled
by Andreas, on Flickr

Andreas, I have the Tascam DR70: built-in stereo mic (much better than the A7's), 4 XLR inputs/level knobs, audio I/O, assignable limiters/Low pass filters, slate tone, led menus with a Q wheel (but not complicated). It's skinnier than the DP60, which has 2 xlrs, and not much more expensive. Runs on 4 AA (I use rechargeables) and requires its own SD card.

I started with free hand stuff, but am relying on a tripod now in order to keep the camera still while the movement occurs in front of it. The juxtaposition of stillness and movement is effective for illustrating the paradoxes and conundrums in the proverbs of Antonio Porchia (the main current project).

I think it would be great for separating the various audio streams of a street scene if you don't mind wrangling multiple mics/stands & long cords. Right now I'm working more remotely, so it's about (for example) miking a river current to the left, a cricket to the right, and managing levels so the the cricket isn't drowned out, so to speak.

The videos are here: http://vibbidi.com/users/681572898800833

Vibbidi is an app. If it interests you but you can't get it publicly yet, you can email Kazuhiro Naya the developer for an invitation. (He invited me based on my Tumblr photos, not my nonexistent videography. I think he would love to have more street/documentary photographers.

Andreas, I have the Tascam DR70: ....have more street/documentary photographers.
( cut the quote to have less text in this thread that better is about photos )

Your sound set up sounds great! Mine is much more basic, based on mini stereo only, various ok mics that go into the A7 and a standalone sound recorder, the basic Zoom H1 which actually has disappointed me. Good quality sound is essential, but isolation from wind and onboard noise is important first, the rest, in comparison, are nuances or in other words, if used right even my set up should be ok.

Just saw a few of your videos. Very impressive Robert, playlike, thoughtful, they transpire depth and calm beauty, very inspiring! I wanted to view all but each 30 sec. video took about 5 minutes to view in small portions, so I gave up. Wonder why this is so, connection isn't great here but e.g. youtube, live TV and alike can be viewed much easier. Sound, music used is very good and important, e.g by the group 'Oregon' ;) ( no legal issues? may later delete this ). The site looks alright to me, I am curious about the app.

Last of your videos up now must be you and your dog Mimi right? Also a bit personal, if one sees it like that, my hotel room in Hanoi these last days, Canon LTM 1.8/35

hotel room ;)
by Andreas, on Flickr

Same issue with the videos. The app doesn't seem to handle bandwidth efficiently. We have only AT&T DSL available here, and it is slow. I'll take a look at the office later where we have much faster DSL.

I liked what I saw, though. Never really thought of this kind of short video "poem." Great concept!

Back