A7 with Some LTM, M mount lens

First afternoon with the a7. Using a 40 summicron.
16065108403_d6682ca500_c.jpg

I'm still on the fence about buying an adapter for my M mount lenses, or for my one lone Canon lens left (the 24-105L, which would only be for video on the A7s, and maybe some still / studio photography with the A7II).

Of course the internet claims that M mount lenses are all but unusable, but I have seen otherwise here in this thread.

Only trouble is I don't really have any longer lenses, I know pretty well the CV 21mm probably won't work well (doesn't work well on my M240 either), but it would be really nice if my 35mm Biogon or 50mm Planar worked well. I expect the 50mm 1.1 Nokton would probably work well (if not better than the M because I could mitigate the focus shift easier).

I don't have any old SLR lenses anymore, so if I'm going to adapt what I have I want to know that it works.

I love the samples in here though!

Abram,
I have an A7S and ZM 35 f2 Biogon. Open aperture shots look smeary in the corners. I gave up and bought the 35 Sonnar f2.8 which works very well at open aperture. I'll keep the Biogon for my film Leicas.

Excellent work craygc, both artistically and technically. Your conversion to monochrome is very nice.

Thanx Jan ...Im using DxO Labs Filmpack as the base for the conversions. However, something I'll add is that having just switched RAW converters from ACR to Capture One Pro, I'm finding that COP does a much better job without much tweaking, which really helps with what goes into Filmpack.

Abram,
I have an A7S and ZM 35 f2 Biogon. Open aperture shots look smeary in the corners. I gave up and bought the 35 Sonnar f2.8 which works very well at open aperture. I'll keep the Biogon for my film Leicas.

Ah. See that's discouraging information. I'll probably buy the Zeiss 35 or Sony 28 once I sell my last m43 lens but I really was hoping that RF lenses would have worked better. It's not the end of the world but it is a little disappointing.

No example shots here, but I've been using the Voigtlander M 50/1.5 Nokton ASPH and 90mm Elmar-c on my A7II a lot. Both lenses are excellent on the A7II, no major issues with corner smearing or CA. In fact, the Elmar-c is impressively sharp from wide open, and (IMO) a massive bargain as far as M-mount lenses are concerned. Both lenses also balance very well on the A7II.

I also use a 35mm 'cron ASPH on the A7II, and as long as corners are not critical, it renders very well (I like to use it for environmental portraiture).

35 2.8 c-Biogon
med_U45148I1436315594.SEQ.2.jpg

Ditto, Instagram crop (sorry, it's so convenient to upload JPGs from A7 to iPad to Instagram, thence to RFF gallery with its 390K limit)
med_U45148I1436420772.SEQ.3.jpg

90 2.8 G Sonnar
med_U45148I1435438091.SEQ.4.jpg

Back