A7 with Some LTM, M mount lens

A7R + CZ Sonnar 50mm f/1.5 (post-war)
30clteo.jpg

Looking into buying a A7(ii) which I want to use for color next to the MM.

- Can anyone please tell me if the focus tab is still in the original/same position when using the M-lenses with an adapter. Or do I have to relearn the Focus tabposition which does not help quick focussing (weddings etc)
- any experiences with Hexagon-m 28mm 2,8, M 24mmf2.8 ash, 35mm V4 on the A7(ii)

Looking into buying a A7(ii) which I want to use for color next to the MM.

- Can anyone please tell me if the focus tab is still in the original/same position when using the M-lenses with an adapter. Or do I have to relearn the Focus tabposition which does not help quick focussing (weddings etc)

Tab stays in the same position with my adapter (a cheap Chinese one).

Tab stays in the same position with my adapter (a cheap Chinese one).

Thanks CPC!! Would be great if that is the case with all/most adapters?!

Hope to also get some feedback to this Q
- any experiences with Hexagon-m 28mm 2,8, M 24mmf2.8 ash, 35mm V4 on the A7(ii) Searched the web but can't find much info on these.

Thanks CPC!! Would be great if that is the case with all/most adapters?!

I have a moderately priced Fotodiox LTM to NEX adapter that caused lenses to be mounted upside-down on the a7. Removing some small set-screws/grub-screws (as advised by multiple sources) did not free up the inner ring of the adapter for me to rotate it 180 degrees as needed. I finally immersed the adapter in acetone, which dissolved the (undocumented) glue and/or paint apparently bonding the inner and outer rings together. Then I could replace the inner ring in the right rotation and reassemble using the screws. Now the adapter works well and focus tabs are where they should be.

I suspect this lack of quality control will be moderately less likely on adapters meant for bayonet-mount lenses (Leica M, Pentax K, &c.), since the right orientation is more visibly obvious, and easier to attain, than with a thread-mount adapter (LTM or M42).

--Dave

I have a moderately priced Fotodiox LTM to NEX adapter that caused lenses to be mounted upside-down on the a7. Removing some small set-screws/grub-screws (as advised by multiple sources) did not free up the inner ring of the adapter for me to rotate it 180 degrees as needed. I finally immersed the adapter in acetone, which dissolved the (undocumented) glue and/or paint apparently bonding the inner and outer rings together. Then I could replace the inner ring in the right rotation and reassemble using the screws. Now the adapter works well and focus tabs are where they should be.

I suspect this lack of quality control will be moderately less likely on adapters meant for bayonet-mount lenses (Leica M, Pentax K, &c.), since the right orientation is more visibly obvious, and easier to attain, than with a thread-mount adapter (LTM or M42).

--Dave

Thanks Dave.

I bought a A7 last week and some adapters and will do some testing with my lenses asap.

I bought the M adapter from K&F concept (app 23 euro's) and the orientation is perfect for the M lenses.

Next is to find the best 28mm between the lenses i have (Nikkor 28 f3.5, Nikkor 28 F2.8, Nikkor E 28mm f2.8, Pentax-a 28mm f2.8 and the Hexanon-m 28mm f2.8)

I mostly shoot people (street or reportage). I wonder if it makes sense to test at infinity. Any ideas on this?

Thanks Dave.

I bought a A7 last week and some adapters and will do some testing with my lenses asap.

I bought the M adapter from K&F concept (app 23 euro's) and the orientation is perfect for the M lenses.

Next is to find the best 28mm between the lenses i have (Nikkor 28 f3.5, Nikkor 28 F2.8, Nikkor E 28mm f2.8, Pentax-a 28mm f2.8 and the Hexanon-m 28mm f2.8)

I mostly shoot people (street or reportage). I wonder if it makes sense to test at infinity. Any ideas on this?
Yes , I would start testing at inifnity but this would realy apply to rangefinder lenses , SLR glass should be fine . Hex 28 is one of not that many wide angle lenses doing find on a7 supposedly , I'm curious to see some photos from it .

Hi all,

New here, but long time reader. I blogged on my site about using Fotasy adapters to adapt to M39s, especially overcoming the problem you might have with those adapters when it comes to lenses with focus levers. It'll probably be old hat to most of you, but it might be of some value.

http://www.mmaguirephoto.com/blog/2016/3/1/adapting-rangefinder-lenses-with-focus-levers

It includes some sample shots with my a7ii with a 1951 Leica 35mm f/3.5 Summaron lens.

Have a good one!
Mike

Back