A7sII or A7III for indoors.

Ko.Fe.

Lenses 35/21 Gears 46/20
Local time
8:46 PM
Which one is better for indoors? I tend to use ISO 12800 on my cameras which supports it. Don't mind to go higher. And which one has better low light AF?

Don’t consider the R3? I love it, there’s much room for cropping. I also shoot at 12800, even for paid jobs e.g. corporate events. Autofocus is great (it’s said the A73 is even slightly better). I use quite some vintage adapted glass on it. I bet all mark 3 have better AF capabilities than mark 2‘s. Maybe I find some high ISO examples later if you’re interested.

Thank you for reply.
I don't crop at all and prefer 10-12 MP RAW files.
Just looking for AF and high ISO small FF camera which does have AF small, not expensive lenses.
Something with clean 12800 ISO and preferably above.
Since I'm not paid for photography, I can't afford R (don't want used one), but S and regular A7 series are withing my reach.

I have both an A7ii and A7iii. The A7iii is my go to camera inside as the high ISO performance is at least an order of magnitude better than the ii.
That being said, I don't have any experience with the A7sII so can't speak to that one.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the A7iii. It is a pretty remarkable camera for the money IMO.

Kostya - IMO two important advantages of the A73 over the A7sII are: 1) Larger battery capacity, 2) newer technology

I have the A7s, which I believe has the same sensor as the A7SII. I bought it solely for interior shots of buildings with poor internal lighting (mainly very old churches). Happy to do more if required

Just took these with a manual focus lens (Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 at f2.8) under artificial light, Auto White balance, nothing done to them in post and exported as JPEG.

At 12800 (full then cropped)

bond-1-1-of-1.jpg

bond-1.5-1-of-1.jpg

At 25600

bond-2-1-of-1.jpg

bond-2.5-1-of-1.jpg

At 51200

bond-3-1-of-1.jpg

bond-2.5-1-of-1.jpg

Thank you Charles. Any examples of human photos?

Shac, and three times more AF points. With active family it is valuable addition.

But my main concern is high ISO and not slow, hunting AF.

I'm not taking night photos, but within interiors of regular homes with not crazy bright lights after sun is down. Or even during the day, I have to bump ISO to 3200 to keep it 1/250, but it is only giving me f2.8 in our home. While I need f5.6-f8 to have family in focus, while at least two can't sit still :).

Ko.Fe - I will admit to becoming a lazy photog since getting my latest lens, a Sony 24-105 f4. I have kept my A7iii on 'Auto' for a lot of my shooting lately. I'm surprised by the camera choosing ISO's of 800+ and how good the pictures are. My A7ii wouldn't do that well and didn't when taking photo's of my grandkids inside. That is one of the main reasons I opt'd to get the iii.
Sorry I don't have a flicker account to show you some of what it can do. You could look at Talkemount dot com and look for my same user name there as I post photo's over there.

Thank you Charles. Any examples of human photos?

Shac, and three times more AF points. With active family it is valuable addition.

But my main concern is high ISO and not slow, hunting AF.

I'm not taking night photos, but within interiors of regular homes with not crazy bright lights after sun is down. Or even during the day, I have to bump ISO to 3200 to keep it 1/250, but it is only giving me f2.8 in our home. While I need f5.6-f8 to have family in focus, while at least two can't sit still :).

I'll experiment on my father tomorrow, not something I've ever used it for!

I'll experiment on my father tomorrow, not something I've ever used it for!

Thank you :).

I was trying to find A7SII and A7III low light comparison, but it is all for video. On video mode A7III has more aggressive noise reduction and it is not sharp.

A7Sii autofocus is not great, and is not compatible with all FE-mount lenses. I believe it has contrast-detect autofocus only. I personally don't care since I bought mine to use with manual-focus lenses in low light.

Noise-wise I'm finding that ISO6400 performs about the same as ISO800 does on my X-Pro2 and that ISO12800 (especially for B&W) is perfectly usable. My 12mm Ultra-Wide Heliar has just become an indoor lens.

Sorry Kostya, Dad is not doing well at present so no photos under artificial light as he's in bed too early, and he was not keen on being a sitter. So these were shot with a longer lens (135mm Elmarit R) with silent shutter. I've put more light into the shadow areas in the cropped photos as that is where noise is going to appear.

12800 uncropped

dad12800-1-of-1.jpg

12800 Cropped

dad12800crop-1-of-1.jpg

dad25600-1-of-1.jpg

25600 cropped

dad256000crop-1-of-1.jpg

dad51600-1-of-1.jpg

51600 cropped

dad51200crop-1-of-1.jpg

Thank you both! Wishing your father well!

51600 is just as 12800 on my older EOS cameras.

I have been using a A7s for the past 2.5 years now as a Manual focus camera only with all my old Leica M lenses and a few slr lenses and it works fine. I got it for the high iso and I am very happy with the results, I know this is no help what so ever with the A7III and auto focus results but for low light I think you would have to try hard to beat it. My .02 cents only plus you can find them cheap I have no problem with 12mgp and actually find it better as I only go upto 12 x 17 and don't crop much if any.

A7 series is a maze. Maybe somewhere on the net where is compassion chart.
Didn't look in to it. And different opinions results for AF with third party lenses is all over the map.

I keep on searching, learning about different A7 models. Pricing is odd as well.

Back