Agfa APX 100 & 400 back for good - new batch!!!

RPX 100 and RPX 400 are "retail" € 3,- per roll. They are the best available 100 and 400 iso BW materials available now. RPX 100 is very close to Acros 100 and RPX 400 to TRI-X.
What more can you ask ??

For APX100!

APX100 is not like Plus-X, Acros, Tmax 100, FP4, any of that. It's an entirely different film with it's own sensitometric response to color - which results in more emphasis on mid-tones and overall look.

Blockbuster news (to some of us):

Lupus Imaging & Media GmbH & Co KG
19 hours ago
The high performer is back! Available from 1.8.2013 -

APX 400 provides remarkable performance and reliability even in bad light. Another benefit: this highly sensitive film can be pushed as high as a speed of ISO 1600/33°. This means that the applications for APX 400 are almost limitless: action, sports reporting, fashion and advertising.
Per Lupus Imaging Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/lupusim

On that Facebook page above someone asked the same, Lupus replied Omegabrandess.com. I assume (could be wrong) that the big guys (B&H, Adorama, Freestyle, Amazon) buy from them, because they all distribute Omega products that are part of the larger corp (Omegabrandess)....I sure wonder if the big sellers will carry this film....

Blockbuster news (to some of us):

Per Lupus Imaging Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/lupusim

Unfortunately you cannot see the part of the packaging with the "Made in UK" imprint. :rolleyes: I am sorry for anyone who had hoped that the original Agfa APX films had been resuscitated. All the information that is available right now points to ... or should I say ... SCREAMS ... this is relabeled Kentmere 100/400 aka Rollei RPX100/400.

On a positive side note, Fotoimpex say they have coated their CHS 100 II yesterday and first stock will be available in August. And this film IS "Made in Germany", just like the good ol' Agfas.:)

Fotoimpex has this new film on its site too. Interesting that they list the old APX 100 and new APX 100, and the new stuffs less expensive?! I thought folks were saying Mirko was saying (in German mind you) that the new APX 100 is going to be more than the old APX 100.....well the site has the opposite...

http://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/films/blackwhite-films/35mm-films/

no he said they are going to sell the remaining stock of the original material at a higher price cos they can now. same happened when kodak killed it's slide films - price jumped for the last stock because there are people that are panic buying stuff they love

Well, at least it says "new emulsion" pretty prominetly on the box, so it should hard to mix these up with the old stock...

And the Kentmeres are good films (and better value), I just don't get the point of all this repackaging...

The new APX100 from Lupus is according to the box made in Germany so maybe not Kentmere film as the 400 could turn out to be, no idea what it is.
Bought a couple of bricks recently but have not tested and compared to the old APX100 yet.
The film rebate information is for sure different than old stock APX100

Jan
The info is pretty straight forward.
According to Agfa Technical data sheet C-SW56-E17, 06/04 (17th edition) the times for Rodinal 1:50 for a gamma of 0.65 (considered normal contrast) the times are:
1:25 12 mins
1:50 20 mins

the times you stated are for the lower gamma of 0.55 for the 2003 on emulsion, also you may like to note some Agfa literature uses the 1:50 for 30 mins that's not really insane at all but par for the course for the earlier emulsions.

Chris I have the Agfa data sheets for 1990's published in the pamphlet 'Action, Emotion, Memories'
The B&W manual of Agfa Products.
They clearly state on page 29:
Film speed at gamma 0.65
APX 400 1:25 15min ISO 320/26°
APX 400 1:50 30min ISO 400/27°
I have found a PDF version here:
http://www.silverprint.co.uk/pdf/agfa_bw_manual.pdf

I can categorically state that the times are correct for the old emulsions, developing to your times with the pre '03 emulsions would give lower contrast say 0.55 gamma or lower.
I think people here are conflating two issues, the change of emulsion (early 2000's) and the lower gamma.

I spoke by phone with an Agfa tech guy, obviously years ago,-- nice conversation, but I had gotten some bad times, he admitted there was bad data published, was trying to correct, and sent me a bunch of film-- did not send me a ticket to return to Europe to reshoot the images though.

Odd, since they only had a few BW tech guys in the US even then. He told me then that BW was less than a fraction of 1% of Agfa business, they were not keeping it to make a profit, but to support the BW followers.

It was at the same time they were using a variety of fine prints on their paper packs.

Regards, John

Was his name Paul Carey? If so we worked together, Paul went to the US in the mid 1990's.
I worked with Agfa for a small period in the early 1990's and Fuji in the late 1980's

Was his name Paul Carey? If so we worked together, Paul went to the US in the mid 1990's.
I worked with Agfa for a small period in the early 1990's and Fuji in the late 1980's

Very pleasant guy, we chewed the fat for about 30 minutes, very likely the same guy as I believe he said there were only a couple of guys working in the BW realm at the time.

He knew Herb Ascherman, local -- very good-- photographer, who shot and printed everything on Agfa-- some of his images were featured on their packaging, bought everything direct from Agfa. Local distributors became weak over the years-- I used to work at a camera shop way back, and they carried a lot of Agfa products.

I was shooting APX 400 in my Fuji 690, souped in Rodinal, times are probably in the book in the darkroom-- I think I often prewashed, and added a bit of time-- just what worked for me.

Herb used APX 100 at that time and lots of Portriga paper, everything fiber.

He was not sure how various "versions" of processing data at the time were distributed -- but he was trying to get it corrected.

John

The new APX100 from Lupus is according to the box made in Germany so maybe not Kentmere film as the 400 could turn out to be, no idea what it is.
Bought a couple of bricks recently but have not tested and compared to the old APX100 yet.

You bought a couple of bricks of a film recently that, according to the distributor, will be available from August, 1st.
I know of no reseller in Germany who has stocks of the new APX100 right now. What you bought in all likelihood is the omnipresent old stock Lupus/Agfaphoto APX100. The box is slightly different to the "original" APX100. The film is still the same and hence, Made in Germany. But maybe I'm all wrong so please post a picture of the box.

Any idea if you've the new stuff or the old stuff?

To busy last night to take a photo of the box but will do so tonight.
I bought it believing that it was the old stuff and perhaps it is (I hope it is)
What made me a little confused when i developed a blank roll to test for possible X-ray damage was that the film rebate information was different than the old original Agfa film.
Still APX100 but different font.

Back