Agfa APX 100 & 400 back for good - new batch!!!

To busy last night to take a photo of the box but will do so tonight.
I bought it believing that it was the old stuff and perhaps it is (I hope it is)
What made me a little confused when i developed a blank roll to test for possible X-ray damage was that the film rebate information was different than the old original Agfa film.
Still APX100 but different font.

This is usually a good sign it is not the same film, or at the minimum, the cutter isn't the same company.

Ok, here's the unknown film or the box.
I have loaded my Nikon F with a roll and will shoot it this weekend. Treat is as the old APX100 and see what it looks like.
It is difficult to see the Exp date but it is 12/2015

Attachments

• _DSC3651.jpg
    _DSC3651.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC3652.jpg
    _DSC3652.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC3653.jpg
    _DSC3653.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 2
I thought they were going to have the "new emulsion!" label on it? That box looks like the existing stock of original APX. Strange.

It most likely is the old stock i just don't know how Lupus changed the rebate information.
I hope it is old stock as i liked that a lot.
Will soon know if there are any similarities. Film leader looks like the old film. Forgot to do a smell check before i loaded the camera, i liked the smell from the old stock.

Yep that's the "old" stuff I believe. I bought this in Chicago this spring, looks like the batch numbers line up? My batch is UD7050 exp 12/2015

"On a positive side note, Fotoimpex say they have coated their CHS 100 II yesterday and first stock will be available in August. And this film IS "Made in Germany", just like the good ol' Agfas."

And FERRANIA says they are re-introducing their C-41 100 iso negative film... Any coincidence ???

heads up for everyone in Germany: DM still seem to carry old stock at the old price. No need to buy it from impex at fivesomething

I did run a little unscientific film test with two rolls of APX100, one expired in 2009 and the Lupus repacked expiring 12/15
It is the same film. Base + fog is completely identical and so is the unique look of APX100
Looks like my storage conditions are as good as those where the remaining stock is stored.
Only difference as said before the rebate information has changed to include Agfaphoto

The "new emulsion" APX100 and APX400 are available now in Germany. Box is stamped "Made in EU". Developing times given by Maco are 1:1 identical with those for Kentmere 100/400, but price of APX is around 25% higher. I leave it to you folks to draw your own conclusions :rolleyes:

The "new emulsion" APX100 and APX400 are available now in Germany. Box is stamped "Made in EU". Developing times given by Maco are 1:1 identical with those for Kentmere 100/400, but price of APX is around 25% higher. I leave it to you folks to draw your own conclusions :rolleyes:

Blimey!

Should have stocked up on the old stuff when I was in Berlin last May! :bang:

Ain't gonna dunk no Kentmere in my Rodinal! :D

Blimey!

Should have stocked up on the old stuff when I was in Berlin last May! :bang:

Ain't gonna dunk no Kentmere in my Rodinal! :D

Well, you don't have to fly to Berlin to get hold of the stuff :)
Phototec.de is still selling remaining stocks of the old APX at old prices (3 € something), while maco and fotoimpex have raised the prices above 5 €. Assuming you are in Assen, not too far from the German border, if you have some business to do on the German side you could check out one of the DM drugstore chain markets close to the border (Leer or Papenburg?). There was some fresh "original" APX in the shelves of my local DM market this morning for 3.45 € (I bought the whole brick).

Three things:
*The new Agfa 100 & 400 is now available in 30,5m bulk rolls.
*Does anybody have experience with this new Agfa APX 400?- I can only find one short review via google...I have 2 bricks of Neopan in my fridge and I have to find a good & affordable successor..(I know there's TRI-X, but the Agfa New is almost €10 cheaper per brick.
* And i'm still confused, is the new Agfa APX 400 rebranded Kentmere or not? what's the verdict?

Three things:
*The new Agfa 100 & 400 is now available in 30,5m bulk rolls.
*Does anybody have experience with this new Agfa APX 400?- I can only find one short review via google...I have 2 bricks of Neopan in my fridge and I have to find a good & affordable successor..(I know there's TRI-X, but the Agfa New is almost €10 cheaper per brick.
* And i'm still confused, is the new Agfa APX 400 rebranded Kentmere or not? what's the verdict?

It is not rebranded Kentmere in the strict sense, but it is manufactured at the same factory and is 99.9% identical with Kentmere 400 and Rollei RPX400 (current batches) and the recently introduced Fotoimpex CHM400. So any info you find on K400 or one of the other films should be applicable to the new APXes.
I have been using K400 for some time now and I must say that I like it. My unscientific observation is that it has a more grain than Tri-X and is building contrast quicker when pushed. But I like the quality of the grain. As a developer I use Xtol, 1+1 mostly.

Thanks for your reply-that clarifies a lot! I'll have try both the Agfa & Tri-X. By the way I use D76...

It is. I've tested it.
And AgfaPhoto APX 100 New is Kentmere 100.
Minimal differences may be due to batch to batch variations.
Don't forget, this is cheap film at the lower end, so it does not make economical sense for the manufacturer to care for 100% batch to batch consistency.
Costs have to be under strict control in this price range.

I'm glad I laid in a couple hundred rolls of the "old" APX100 in 35mm while it was available at blowout prices. :).

Back