Agfa APX 100 & 400 back for good - new batch!!!

I used miles and miles of the old APX-100 for nearly 30 years. It was by far my favorite B&W emulsion. The new stuff is entirely different. The only similarity is the name.

Wish someone would produce the old emulsion, I don't care what they call it.

Best,
-Tim

PS: I too laid in many bricks of the old emulsion back in 2006. I will be breaking open my last brick next week, after I thaw it from the freezer where it's been living. Sad.

Adox calls it Silvermax 100 :rolleyes:
Slightly tweaked Apx100 emulsion made from Agfa stock materials as far as I know.

So you think Silvermax 100 is the same emulsion? Have you tried it, and compared it to the old APX-100? If it really is the same, I'll be looking into that.

PS: Just did some searching around the web, not finding anyone who says Silvermax 100 is the old AGFA APX-100, not even the Adox web site. Looking through the images posted online, I don't think it looks like APX-100 at all. It's a nice B&W film stock, but not the old AGFA.

Ada.jpg

I haven't compared both, but Mirco Böddecker (CEO) from Adox stated several times that it's a tweaked APX100 emulsion. It's even on the German Adox website (but not on the English one): http://www.adox.de/Photo/adox-filme-2/adox-silvermax/

It's not exactly the same emulsion, but closely based on it: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1391189
Unfortunatly they can't produce it forever as they use finite Agfa stock materials. Only a couple more years and Silvermax will propably be history too.

The NEW APX stuff dries flat. Only tried the 100 one cause it was cheap at the local drugstore (something like 3,30€ per roll). It's ok, it works, it's cheap, grain is ok, tonality is ok, contrast and resolution are also ok.

Unfortunatly they can't produce it forever as they use finite Agfa stock materials. Only a couple more years and Silvermax will propably be history too.

That must be, why there is no medium format film...

Hope they release a new Adox Pan 100 after the materials of the silvermax are over...

schöne Grüße,

Johann

Silvermax is a cine film. More or less a Scala copy.

APX-100 was sold under Rollei Retro 100 for several years. This was the cheapest choice for the Leverkusen APX-100 emulsion. But everything is coming to an end.

It works terrific good in R09/Rodinal. Alternative: Fomapan 100 E.I. 80 in R09/Rodinal.
In general most Harman/Ilford emulsions are working not so good with R09/Rodinal, except PAN F+.

APX-100 / Rollei Retro 100 (135-36) in original Rodinal 1+25.

A test: Fresh new Rodinal (at that time) and 4 years old Rodinal.

1128093468_ab38a82da4_z.jpg

New.

1127247527_a41d46cc19_z.jpg

Old Rodinal.

This has turned up for sale locally. As it has a January 2009 expiry date, I assume it is the original APX100? The seller wants AUD $30 for it. It's eight years out of date but as an ISO 100 black and white, it is probably worth a punt, isn't it?
Cheers,
Brett
34818581675_6cea8f2659_n.jpg

This has turned up for sale locally. As it has a January 2009 expiry date, I assume it is the original APX100? The seller wants AUD $30 for it. It's eight years out of date but as an ISO 100 black and white, it is probably worth a punt, isn't it?
Cheers,
Brett

That's the real deal. I'd recommend buying it. Down where you are it shouldn't have had too much heat either.

Marty

Cheers,
Brett

Years ago I bought several "bricks" of APX100 (similar expiry). I'm keeping it in the freezer and still using without any IQ loss. You should be fine... And the price is good.

Years ago I bought several "bricks" of APX100 (similar expiry). I'm keeping it in the freezer and still using without any IQ loss. You should be fine... And the price is good.

I got some 100ft rolls 10 or 15 years ago and used it regulary, but nowadays it isn't the same fun anymore because it curls like hell now...

Did the same thing in 2006, not knowing AGFA would soon go out of business. Still have a few rolls in the freezer.

Best,
-Tim

a resurrected thread !

still have some APX 100 spooled onto Ixmoo and will have to use it at some point. also have some APX 25 in 120. now THAT is film I really wish would be coated again...

Back