Agfa Karat Owners?

farlymac

PF McFarland
Local time
1:01 PM
Just picked up a 36 today (with the 2.8 Solinar), and don't see a whole lot of traffic here about it. How many of you all have one, and your feelings about it?

PF

I have the S-K f/2 version.

These are excellent cameras.

The f/2 lens is the same as on the Retina IIIc/C cameras..

I have a Karat with the unusual/goofy split level rf windows. Solinar/Synchro-Compur. A solid build, but it needs to go to the hospital.

Karat owner

Karat owner

I have a two or three of them I'll look tomorrow. I can't get to the camera room due to sleepers in there. Nice little cameras - well built, nice lenses. Just haven't gotten round to using them much yet. :eek:

I have a Karat 36 and am very pleased with it. I first got one with a Solinar lens like the OP's which as stated above is an excellent lens. I then got a 'parts' Karat 36 with the f2.0 Solagon lens; having resurrected that one with a fairly 'intrusive' repair, I sold on the Solinar one as being more 'original' and kept the Solagon one to use.
I have also tried the later Karat IV (with f2.0 Xenon), also very nice, but I found that the 'quirky' staggered rangefinder of the 36 actually suits me better. This linked picture was with the Solinar, hand-held, on my knees :rolleyes: .

Spider! by johnnyh4, on Flickr

That's one mighty fine looking spider there, Johnny. I've had a few of the Apotar lensed Agfa/Anscos, and have been happy with the results, so when I found this Solinar lensed model, I went ahead and got it (didn't hurt that it was 25% off). It will definitely need a teardown, as everything is stiff and draggy, and the bellows is a holy mess. The chrome is in halfway decent shape, but I'll know more after a surface cleaning. I was glad to find out that it takes the Retina sized filters, so I don't have to go get another set. Took forever to get the first ones. And it can share the hood from my Retinette.

If I don't mess up the repairs on this one, I may go on the hunt for an f2 model.

PF

A note of caution to anyone who decides to do their own repairs on the Karat 36.

When tearing down the camera for any repairs that require the removal of the front shroud (or maybe it's called the shutter/lens mount cover), remove the entire shutter as an assembly. Do not remove bits and pieces that extend from the shutter (such as the PC connector) so the shroud will clear. It is much harder to get things back in the proper order, and unless the shutter needs a complete stripdown for blade cleaning, not worth the trouble. Trust me.

PF

I would keep that rear lens reversed. Wonderful images this way! :)

Found out it wasn't the rear elements, but the second one. May have been like that since 1987, since I didn't take the front two apart from their shared housing. I flipped it around, double checked the focus, and ran a roll of BW400CN through it today. Will have results back by tomorrow.

PF

Just got a Karat12 w/Xenar 5cm/2.8 from ~1948
Nice camera, all is working now and I love the split image RF

Last edited:
Went through several Karat 36 before getting a Xenon with a working focus and shutter. Unfortunately, A couple of small leaks in the bellows and I am not sure how to access to fix without a total teardown. I love the rangefinder, but hate the fussy film-loading.

Went through several Karat 36 before getting a Xenon with a working focus and shutter. Unfortunately, A couple of small leaks in the bellows and I am not sure how to access to fix without a total teardown. I love the rangefinder, but hate the fussy film-loading.
Ah the infamous bellows sieves! I have to check that, thanks for the reminder.
This one came as part of a "box of old cameras" and luckily it was well cared for, the focus was stiff but not frozen and with a very quick cleaning it works just fine. RF is accurate and speeds are within tolerance.
Unfortunately it is a Rapid-Karat cartridge camera so besides a test roll I don;t think I'll use it much.

Decades ago it was recommended to mix elmer's glue with dawn blue soap and black shoe tint (liquid) to make a bellows touch-up solution
I apply this with a q-tip after finding the leaks and it works fine, it is flexible, even though it is not permanent.

I loved the camera, but not the film system of the 12... so trawling through eBay I found a couple 36s
I bought 2 Karat36 version 3, with a Solinar 2.8, a Rodenstock Heligon 50/2, and a Ansco Karomat (rebadged) with a Xenar 50/2.8.
The Karomat and the Solinar cameras were not in the best shape, but using one as donor it allowed me to have a fully functional camera.

Following Chris Sherlock's videos I did:
- Removal of the shutter-lens assembly
- Cleaning of the lens and of the Synchro Compur shutter (regreasing with powder Moly)
- Clean the focusing mechanism of the AGFA green goo. Regreasing with thick Lithium grease (getting the helicoid to the right place was the hardest)
- Clean of the film transport mechanism and regrease
- Cleaning of the RF glass, and in one of them clean the grease in the mechanism and regrease with powder graphite
- Reassemble lens/shutter, check infinity focus
- Readjust RF
- Patch bellows with fabric paint (lots of pinholes)
You can see the Chris Sherlock's videos as a guide: Here

After all that:

Karat 36 v3 with Karat Xenar 50/2.8

Karat36 v3 with Heligon 50/2.0

I have a Karat IV with the Solagon in nice shape. This takes standard 35mm film and a more normal rangefinder system than the earlier models. The film is advanced with a lever but in the reverse direction.

Attachments

• IMG_20231029_101235080.jpg
    IMG_20231029_101235080.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 1
Back