All Voigtlander Film Cameras Sadly Discontinued

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
2:29 PM
9/28/15

A few years ago Voigtlander was the only camera manufacturer EVER to have all FOUR major 35mm rangefinder mounts in production at the SAME time - Leica Screw Mount, Leica M Mount, Nikon Rangefinder and Zeiss Contax Rangefinder.

Today, primarily in my opinion due to the popularity of the so called mirrorless rangefinder like cameras, Voigtlander has announced all their remaining film cameras are discontinued due to declining sales. The Bessa R2A, R3A, R4A were discontinued about a year ago All other Voigtlander product lines are selling well. With the Zeiss ZM rangefinder discontinued several years ago, only Leica currently has film 35mm rangefinders on the production line.

Bessa R2M
Bessa R3M
Bessa R4M
Bessa III 6x7
Bessa III Wide 6x7

The last R3M's and R4M's have yet to be produced - Voigtlander will probably fill all existing orders by the end of 2015.

Many dealers still have new Voigtlander 35mm Bessa stock on hand - get them while you can!

For those unaware of it, the R4A / R4M cameras are truly unique wideangle rangefinders, with built in framelines for 21mm lenses! Even Leica never did that. Likewise the R3A / R3M cameras have lifesize 1:1 viewfinders. Again, Leica never did that.

Also discontinued were a variety of smaller accessories:

SUPER WIDE-HELIAR 15mm F4.5 Asp II (replaced by Version III)
Bessa Camera Case VC-5
Bessa CARRYING STRAP(BK)
Bessa SIDE GRIP
VM Micro Four Thirds Adapter
F Micro Four Thirds Adapter
SC E-mount Adapter
15mm View Finder (Plastic, metal remains in production)
21/25mm View Finder (Plastic)
21/25mm View Finder M Silver (black metal remains in production)
28mm View Finder M Silver
28mm View Finder M Black
35mm View Finder M Silver
35mm View Finder M Black
40mm View Finder
LH-1
LH-2
LH-20N
LH-28N
LH-40N

My brother loaned me his Bessa T with 15mm lens. It was my first film camera and I loved it.

I then shot with the R4M for awhile and really enjoyed it too.

Sad to see them be discontinued.

www.stillthrill.com

That is sad news, it was a great 20 years or so. I hope CV is prospering from the sale of lenses for mirrorless bodies.

Any news on servicing of existing bodies?

Darn! Years ago, in 2001, I was very interested in the Bessa R and that led me to rangefinder cameras... I hope they won't give up on RF lenses after this...

Too bad someone does not make a simple, non metered, roller blind shutter, M mount camera. If Leica can get away with the MA for $4.5k then surely there would be a small market for a Fed 2 type simple camera with an M mount.

It needs to be an M mount body because they will mount both LTM and M mount glass. Whereas all lenses should be produced in LTM so that they will fit both mounts.

I have an R4M which I love and would like to continue using for a long time. With the bodies out of production, any estimates on his long parts/service will be available?

This is very sad. I don't understand why it is impossible to sell a few thousand film cameras per year on a planet with 7,28 billion people. I was already surprised earlier this year when I noticed that Voigtländer discontinued all M mount adapters. When I asked the German Voigtländer distributor, they told me that the Voigtländer M mount adapters are now made by Novoflex. Also the discontinued viewfinders will leave a gap.

I actually heard this from Photo Village over six months ago, but that Cosina is the sort of company that will discontinue a product, then turn around and create another run of it for a few months before discontinuing it again. By that I'm suggesting, I suppose, that there is still a valid reason to hold on to a bit of hope, if only briefly.

This is very sad. I don't understand why it is impossible to sell a few thousand film cameras per year on a planet with 7,28 billion people.

What percentage of that population do you suppose cares how a print over 11 x 14" looks? Sorry to hear that, Cosina. Thank you for helping me believe before that.

- Daniel

I think the R3x and R4x cameras was a good idea on paper, unfortunately I found the flimsy finders rather poorly executed. Still have a R3A, which is of course out of alignment.

Sad, of course, and a bit strange.
Because last year at photokina Leica reported increasing sales for their film M models. Therefore they introduced another film model, the M-A.

Cheers, Jan

Sad news indeed - the R3A was my first interchangeable RF in 2005 and I've never looked back since. Sadly I traded in the camera in order to finance a Leica M2 but still have a fondness for it.

9/28/15
Voigtlander was the only camera manufacturer EVER to have all FOUR major 35mm rangefinder mounts in production at the SAME time - Leica Screw Mount, Leica M Mount, Nikon Rangefinder and Zeiss Contax Rangefinder.

What is the difference between Nikon and Contax/Kiev mount?

Back