Alternative way of using a Fuji GSW690 as panoramic camera

jssaraiva

Local time
2:46 PM
After my previous attempt with a Bronica RF645 (that while nice, wastes a lot of film) I’ve been looking into alternatives to adapt my FUJI GSW690 to panoramic.

Saw a few options, but found them a bit inconvenient as all required to unload in the dark, so came up with an alternative and shared it on video format:

https://youtu.be/xck2R08jDhw

I think the wide lens is a great match for this. Due to strict lock down due to COVID, I don’t have samples to show.

I’d appreciate suggestions on how to secure the take-up cassette. I was looking into taping some foam to the back, but might cause problem while using 120 film.

I had done that trick on a Kiev 60 (bad idea, takes only 120 film) and I found that the 3D-printed spool adapter on the film advance side (on top) would break after a few rolls due to the torque. Hopefully the advance mechanism on the Fuji is lighter, otherwise I would consider getting a metal adapter.

Thanks for the link to the video. It is very useful to someone who wants to use 135 film in their medium format camera for shooting panoramic images.

Thankfully, I have never needed to use my Fuji GSW690 as a panoramic camera with 135 film because my RB67 does a better job.

The GSW690 fixed 65mm f/5.6 lens produces a 6x9cm image with an angle-of-view that is equivalent to a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera. The RB with a 50mm f/4.5 lens produces a 6x7cm image with an angle-of-view that is equivalent to a 24mm lens on a 35mm camera.

The RB has an interchangeable film back feature that the GSW690 lacks. At the end of the 135 roll, if I need to continue shooting, I simply replace the RB back with a spare preloaded back. When I get home, I remove the exposed 35mm film from the 220 back in the darkroom. I either immediately develop the film or I store the exposed film in a light-tight container and develop it later.

The Fuji image counter only goes up to 16 on the 220 setting. The RB67 image counter on the 220 back goes up to 20.

Also, instead of 3D spacers, I simply cut the ends off a plastic 120 film spool and used those ends as spacers for my 135mm film in my RB67 220 back.

35mm film in RB67 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

The GSW690 fixed 65mm f/5.6 lens produces a 6x9cm image with an angle-of-view that is equivalent to a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera. The RB with a 50mm f/4.5 lens produces a 6x7cm image with an angle-of-view that is equivalent to a 24mm lens on a 35mm camera.
Agreed, I wouldn't find the angle of view wide enough for a panoramic - vertically, it remains the same angle of view as a 65mm on normal 135 format after all.

I simply cut the ends off a plastic 120 film spool and used those ends as spacers for my 135mm film in my RB67 220 back.
Smart, those are essentially free anyway!

If you use a second 135mm canister to take up the film, you will still loose the last image.

Yes you loose the last frame (I mention that briefly on the video), but you don't really get more waste than using a normal 35mm camera due to this (but I'm still trying to optimize it).

Hope I can explain this correctly as I'm not very used to these terminology in English: this last frame wasted will be the donor leader for the next film. That enables you to instead of pulling the leader of the new roll all the way out to the take-up spool (thus exposing it and wasting it), you bridge this with the remaining of the previous roll (i.e. the "lost" last frame and a couple more centimeters).

So you can close the back and start winding before actually exposing the new roll and when you reach the nr 1 frame, you actually have wasted less film in the loading process, hence offsetting the lost last frame.

This allows 15 shots 82mm wide (total 1.230mm), which comparing with 36 normal "35mm" (total 1.296mm) so the waste should be only 5% (or 11% if you only get 14 shots like I actually did on my first attempt...) and might be explained by greater frame spacing that I believe is due to the lack of backing paper.

Anyway, I do understand waste can be reduced if using backing paper leader and/or using a light tight bag for unloading, like I've also seen several examples on-line, but my goal was actually to get a practical solution in the field even if at the unfortunate expense of some film waste...

I had done that trick on a Kiev 60 (bad idea, takes only 120 film) and I found that the 3D-printed spool adapter on the film advance side (on top) would break after a few rolls due to the torque. Hopefully the advance mechanism on the Fuji is lighter, otherwise I would consider getting a metal adapter.

Thanks for the tip on the metal adapter! I haven't really broken an adapter on camera, but I did break one just attaching it to the roll. I'm now a bit worried that this might happen mid roll, so have just ordered two pairs of metal ones from China.

Also, instead of 3D spacers, I simply cut the ends off a plastic 120 film spool and used those ends as spacers for my 135mm film in my RB67 220 back.
Thanks, this is a pretty neat solution, but on the camera like the GSW I'm a bit afraid that if this becomes loose it might end up damaging the lens. Or do you have a way to fix them securely?

@jssaraiva

Sorry, I have never tried it on my GSW. I have only tried it on my RB67 and my Holga pinhole. I have never had a loose problem with either.

Back