an S2 starting the makeover process

splitimageview

coincidence rangefinder
Staff member
Local time
6:20 PM
My S2 along with some other brass parts ;)

IMG_2996-2.jpg

Erik, I have a parts Leica Meter MC, Nuremberg. Still has the potentiometer and selenium cell and grid for front as well. Missing some screws but not dented up or anything.....gratis, if you want it. I just do not want it to sit there. Let me know.

Here is a photo of the S2 before stripping the chrome and nickel. Can't tell from this photo, but there are the usual usage marks in the chrome, it looks pristine in this photo but by eye, it's a user camera in cosmetic terms. Not a shelf queen. So it's a good candidate for a paint job. Mechanically and optically it's perfect.

preview.png

I have both a chrome dial and a black dial S2. In my opinion the chrome of the chrome dial S2 is superior to the chrome of the black dial S2, it seems to be thicker and more shiny; in any case the chrome between the two models is different.

Shafovaloff, thank you very much, but I have a good selenium Leicameter.

Erik.

Stripping the chrome uses chemicals and stripping the nickel uses a powdered, heated solution. Messy. Then blast the parts to clean off the residue...

Very interesting and I see you have managed to remove the hand scribed etching. Excellent work there Sir, excellent. I am curious why such a number would be used, a name,or initials I can understand but that huge number is puzzling.

Thank you! That was an experiment, but with little to lose as MC meters have little value. Not sure what that number represents, it's not a social security number. It's not enough digits for a phone number, maybe it's a driver's license?

But that meter did teach me the necessary techniques and practice in order to tackle this one:

289430645_752928325834575_377164138732079457_n.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

Here is a photo of the S2 before stripping the chrome and nickel. Can't tell from this photo, but there are the usual usage marks in the chrome, it looks pristine in this photo but by eye, it's a user camera in cosmetic terms. Not a shelf queen. So it's a good candidate for a paint job. Mechanically and optically it's perfect.

preview.png

a little off track....but yellow filter on the nikkor....it has modern thread pitch or old?

Back