an S2 starting the makeover process

Very interesting and I see you have managed to remove the hand scribed etching. Excellent work there Sir, excellent. I am curious why such a number would be used, a name,or initials I can understand but that huge number is puzzling.

Looks like a previous owner's North Carolina driver's license number. Presumably unique to the owner, so more easily traceable. I've seen Social Security numbers on equipment also.

Looks like a previous owner's North Carolina driver's license number. Presumably unique to the owner, so more easily traceable. I've seen Social Security numbers on equipment also.

Seriously can’t believe so many owners were ok with defacing their cameras for supposed security…

The M3 pictured above had a name engraved, or what i presume to be someone’s name. The camera is in poor condition cosmetically with disintegrated vulcanite, a little ding on the top plate (since removed) along with the engraving (now also history) but mechanically and optically it is superb. It still had the Leitz ‘£’ seal, and none of the screws had any marks, it had never been opened.

Seriously can’t believe so many owners were ok with defacing their cameras for supposed security…

The M3 pictured above had a name engraved, or what i presume to be someone’s name. The camera is in poor condition cosmetically with disintegrated vulcanite, a little ding on the top plate (since removed) along with the engraving (now also history) but mechanically and optically it is superb. It still had the Leitz ‘£’ seal, and none of the screws had any marks, it had never been opened.

How did you remove the "little ding"?

It was a little bend on the top plate near the rewind knob. I'll post some pics. Drill press and some carefully placed wood pieces cut to the right size flattened it back out.

This was more evident when viewed by eye, but you can see the little bend in the top plate, looks like a shadow.

IMG_2761.jpg

Some of them didn't have a choice if they were in the military. That was the prescribed method of showing ownership in case one of your mates took a fancy to boosting others property. Luckily they started that program after I got out of the Navy, though I did have to register the serial numbers of my gear when I brought it on board.

PF

If it doesn't bother the owner to engrave their name or an id number however crudely, why should others care?

It is not like it takes away anything from the functionality of the item - it is purely cosmetic.

If anything, the next owner should be happy that they got the camera cheaper because it didn't look like unused jewellery.

If vanity dictates the object should be pretty - just look elsewhere.

Many people appreciate the design aesthetic and manufacturing precision and detail that went into these products and it is not vain to express sadness over that effort being intentionally defaced, especially when the engraving is entirely due to the desire to protect its inherent value. But the effort to protect ironically results in devaluation... One can rue the defacing in a similar way to the defacing of an iconic painting.

Where I used to work we used an industrial size sonic bath and lime Kool-aid. Will take it down to bare metal quite easily.

PF

Acid can remove chrome, but not the underneath nickel coating, need chemicals to remove the nickel, some of the plating shop or gun smith shop sell these chemical kit in powder or liquid form

All the vintage painted cameras were directly on brass, that's what I'll be doing here. Paint will stick to nickel as well, but people prefer 'brassing' as opposed to 'nickeling.' :cool:

Acid can remove chrome, but not the underneath nickel coating, need chemicals to remove the nickel, some of the plating shop or gun smith shop sell these chemical kit in powder or liquid form

We mainly used the Kool-aid to remove any corrosion before sending parts for replating, but if you left them in the sonic bath long enough it would take them all the way down to the brass. Then it cost us more than double to get that batch re-nickel plated before the chrome. Needless to say, they would only let you get by with that once. If there was a next time there would be consequences.

PF

wasn't the bottom plate of the S2 a PITA to work with? I have a plating shop nearby but I need to give them "clean" parts to work with.

it was a challenge, yes. have to remove the latch and then protect the leather...the bottom is attached to the back using rivets, and there is no way to remove the rivets and just work on the bottom plate alone.

it was a challenge, yes. have to remove the latch and then protect the leather...the bottom is attached to the back using rivets, and there is no way to remove the rivets and just work on the bottom plate alone.

that's what worries me as I'm looking at my S3, there is no way I can use electrolysis on it... also the ISO dial looks fragile.

Back