Anticipation...

krötenblender

Well-known
Local time
4:01 PM
Just recently, I sold my M10, because I noticed, that I don't use it as often, as I "should". I just didn't really bond with it, don't know why, although I enjoy taking pictures with a rangefinder more than with any other type of camera.

Since I have the Ricoh GRIII, this is my daily to-go-camera, and the Leica stayed at home, even on my last trip to Japan. Well, so it had to go.

However, I really like a digital rangefinder and I had an Epson R-D1 and R-D1s several times the last years. It was always the most enjoyable camera, I can think of, even with its now lousy 6MP and other totally outdated technical specs. Now with the M10 sold, there was some spare money and even if the prices for a good R-D1 really exploded in the last few years, I found one for a not too absurd price and bought it.

It seems to be in very good shape and its underway, expecting it sometime next weeks.

Man, am I looking forward to reunite with an R-D1. It's now a few years, that I sold my last R-D1, missed it more that any other camera. And even if it will not get very much use (because of the GRIII), I will just enjoy playing around with it and take a picture sometimes with it. Never been so emotional about any other camera.

How about you?

A lot of cameras have come and gone since I got the R-D1. Of course, there are many that are better at TechSpecs now. But if I had to choose only one camera, it would be the R-D1. Can't explain that. :)
I wish you that the "new" R-D1 is in the good condition you are hoping for.

Last edited:
I won't be parting with mine any time soon ... mine is nearly permanently married to my 35mm Biogon these days.

The 35mm Biogon surely is a nice lens on that camera. I will put a small 35mm 7artisans on it for that focal-length.

I'm thinking about which 28mm I put on it, to be near my favourite focal length of 35mm full frame equivalent. On my first R-D1 I had a clean Minolta M-Rokkor and I liked it very much. But then I was spoiled by Leicas Elmarit ASPH...

Camera is still in transfer from UK (to Germany). It seems, they are already practicing for the Brexit and slow deliveries... :)

Just a few days more...

I still regret I didn't buy it years ago...for sure a nice and interesting camera...

It was under 1K$ few years ago. Probably only one camera which is digital and collective item. But every time I look at crop factor and old color rendering from early nineties I have anticipation to buy it :)

I sold my RD1 some years ago and got an Xpro1 which I thought would go together with the x100 better. It was fine until I handled an RD1 again and realised how much I missed the RF experience. So I bought another and replaced some of the lenses I had. Got CV15mm, CV28/3.5, 35/2 7artisans and my old chrome 1958 Jupiter 8. Recently bought the CV 25mm Snapshot Skopar. Was for my Bessa L buy will probably end up on both.
Currently selling my Fujifilm gear on eBay, just the XT1 and 16mm 2.8 to go now and it’ll be the RD1 as ILC then.

Paul

I still regret I didn't buy it years ago...for sure a nice and interesting camera...

I always regret that I sold them. I once had a very special copy, a preproduction model of the original R-D1. Sold it for a very reasonable price. I think, today I could ask for a very unreasonable price and would have no problem to sell it... :)

It was under 1K$ few years ago. Probably only one camera which is digital and collective item. But every time I look at crop factor and old color rendering from early nineties I have anticipation to buy it :)

I also like its color-rendering very much. If I look at my pictures, that I made with them, color is the most outstanding attribute of them. Best results I got with Epsons horrible Raw-Developer, that was on the original CD. Lightroom never was that good to produce those R-D1-Colors. I'm eager to try it with Capture One, which I use instead now. It often has very pleasing colors, I think, it will be a good match with the R-D1.

I sold my RD1 some years ago and got an Xpro1 which I thought would go together with the x100 better. It was fine until I handled an RD1 again and realised how much I missed the RF experience.

I had a similar experience once. I went on a trip and decided to take the X-Pro2 with me, instead of a real rangefinder. I mean, all the pictures were sharp and everything, but... It just wasn't the same thing. And with all the different Rangefinders (or cameras in general) I had and sold again, the Epson is the one, I miss most .

I shot 100,000 pictures on my R-D1s, the tsuanmi that swallowed Fukashima took it, while it was being repaired in Japan. Great handeling camera

It was under 1K$ few years ago. Probably only one camera which is digital and collective item.

Yes, and the prices are just crazy now. - But there are other collectables for digital camera lovers, but they are not as famous and thus way cheaper. I have two Kodak DC290 for example. A really awkward camera and ergonomically more or less unusable, but it knows some tricks, that you won't get even in todays most high end cameras. - But it's collectable and adorable because it's weird. The R-D1 is a collectable, because it is such a magnificent camera and a work of industrial design art.

Out of curiosity what is an RD1 going for currently? I suspect I bought mine at the bottom of the curve ... about six hundred dollars from memory and while it's not mint it's in very good nick.

I have the trio and use them. Great cameras with fantastic color rendering. It's a pity Epson blundered in this market and gave up way too soon.

I have the trio and use them. Great cameras with fantastic color rendering.

Yes, the colors are very good with the R-D1.

What is your trio? Lenses, I guess? I never really used a 50mm on the Epson. It always seemed to long for me, but maybe I will try one. I think, the VC Skopar 50mm/f2.5 looks like a nice match.

It's a pity Epson blundered in this market and gave up way too soon.

Indeed. The market is probably too small and the Epson was too complicated to produce. But it was/is something very special. I think, I'm not the only one, who sometimes dreams of a modern full frame sensor version of it. With that, I wouldn't even think about Leicas...

That's how I feel about my Fuji X100! I can do a lot with its 35mm equivalent field of view.

The X100 series are nice cameras. I had the S, the T and lately the F. But I never really bonded with them. Can't even say why, because I really like the idea.

Back