Anticipation...

No! Japanese scientists have proved that! :D

Okay, it's subjective, but I also preferred the colors of the M9 over the M240 and M10.

The camera is already in Germany. Oh boy! Package-tracking is hell!

What you prefer is a CCD sensor over a CMOS sensor.

I heard that often from many people, but I don't really believe, that there is a inherent difference between CCD- and CMOS-Colors, because I also have some counter-examples of cameras. E.g. I really like the colors of my new GRIII.

Without scientific proof, I prefer to believe, that the color characteristics of a sensor is more determined by the color-filter-array and the RAW-engine. As I said a few post earlier, I liked the R-D1 colors the most, when I developed them with that old and crappy Epson-Raw-programm, that came with the camera, but I found them much less good with Lightroom. Since I gave up Lightroom for Capture One, I like the colors of many re-developed pictures much more than with LR. - So I hope/think, C1 will give me back the R-D1-colors that I remember, because I don't have any computer-OS anymore, tha is able to run Epsons old Software... :eek:

Simple really ... the RD1 has pixie dust, the Fuji has none! :p:p

More seriously, having had an X100 I thought it was a particularly sterile camera in it's feel and output. The Epson is neither!

... As I said a few post earlier, I liked the R-D1 colors the most, when I developed them with that old and crappy Epson-Raw-programm, that came with the camera, ...
You don't need another RAW Converter, you might run "EPSON Photolier" in a virtual machine under your modern system ... :)

Out of curiosity what is an RD1 going for currently? I suspect I bought mine at the bottom of the curve ... about six hundred dollars from memory and while it's not mint it's in very good nick.

MapCamera in Shinjuku (Tokyo) show a used Epson R-D1X body at JPY 172,945 ~ 188,426

Good for you but the Epson rendering is far superior to that of the X-100.

I find the X100 rendering is natural and realistic. I can always pump up the colors if I ever want to. It's the X100's viewfinder that I think is just fabulous. The problem I have with the Epson is the crop factor. It would be OK for someone who favors longer lenses, as for portraits and such. But even to get the FOV of a 35mm lens, you have to use a 24mm lens. Even the 21mm lens gets you only a 32mm equivalent. I would feel "wide-angle deprived." :eek:

What is your trio?
The R-D1, R-D1s and the R-D1x.

It's a pity Epson blundered in this market and gave up way too soon.
Epson did not blunder in the production of the camera but it did in failing to create a viable global consumer care system. The R-D1x was released in Japan, only.

I used an R-D1 from 2009 to 2016. it is now on loan to a friend for undetermined time. I still love it better than my Leica M-E.
It really fit me, ergonomically speaking. Everything just sits in the right place and is quickly accessible without endless menu browsing (unless you want to change the 'film' presets).

What's not to love? The color rendering, the analogue dials on top, the shutter charging lever..

The R-D1, R-D1s and the R-D1x.

:eek: That's cool!

I had the first two, but never saw the x, even when I was strolling through all the camera shops in the big cities in Japan.

I know, that the x can handle bigger SD-cards (which I don't need with an R-D1). But do you think, the R-D1x has any other advantages over the former two? I think, that fixed screen could be one, because it surely is sturdier, but I like to hide the screen and have the crop-table visible.

Back