Canon LTM Any opinions out there on the Canon 100mm f2 lens?

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Get one!

Get one!

Any opinions out there on the Canon 100mm f2 lens?

Thanks in advance,

Vick

I have one and love it. I used it on a Leica CL to shoot professional billiards players during high-stakes money games. Shooting 3200 ASA Konica color film (now gone, sadly), I was shooting wide open at 1/125. The CL is quiet enough and the metering with the 100mm lens was perfect. Great color, medium contrast, very sharp in the center where it counts, less so on the edges. I don't believe that I've ever shot it stopped down, but I also had a 135mm Canon lens of similar vintage and it was excellent stopped down. Outdoors it required a UV or sky 1A filter to cut down on the excess blue near the ocean.
The 100mm f/2 is not nearly as big and heavy as the early 90mm Summicron, focuses just as smoothly and is almost equal in performance. Of course, I may get slammed for saying that, so YMMV.

I had one but traded it then. It is supposedly first class and even better than the 90mm Summicron of the same vintage,

I still have mine. Whilst it's a large lens by RF standard, it's not really heavy. Good sharpness and nice colors for a fraction of what the Summicron 90mm cost. Nice out of focus rendition too. Has 58mm filter threads which makes it easy to get filters and caps.

2905593613_cfc238e5fd_z.jpg

@ minimum focusing distance

3070150216_c564c0d41d_z.jpg

@ infinity

Cheers,

I have the "R" version, for the original Canonflex, which, from what I read, is the same lens. The R version is very good, even wide-open. My only comment about the rangefinder version is that any 100mm lens, to me, is a stretch when used on a Canon 7/7s. Very hard to focus accurately especially when shooting wide-open and at close distances.

Jim B.

I have the "R" version, for the original Canonflex, which, from what I read, is the same lens. The R version is very good, even wide-open. My only comment about the rangefinder version is that any 100mm lens, to me, is a stretch when used on a Canon 7/7s. Very hard to focus accurately especially when shooting wide-open and at close distances.

Jim B.

Hi Jim,

I was looking for just this information awhile ago. Truth?
I've got one (R version) with sticky diaphragm blades and was a bout to pass it on, rather than fix it ($80+ bucks by estimate) and then I started wondering, and then I saw recent eBay closing above $300.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and put it back in service; glass is in great shape.

Giorgio

It's awesome, just took some shots with it on my NEX-3 this afternoon (adapter just arrived from China). I was originally going to sell it since I got it as part of a package deal, but I don't think I can now :(

I still have mine. Whilst it's a large lens by RF standard, it's not really heavy. Good sharpness and nice colors for a fraction of what the Summicron 90mm cost.

A vintage 90mm Summicron costs about $450 in used condition, and so does a Canon 100/2. Maybe you mean the later model Summicrons.

Wow the shots are amazing.
Is the 10 cm f3.5 in the same league? I just stumbled upon one in need of a clean right in my budget range...
Thanks for any experience.
Alex

A vintage 90mm Summicron costs about $450 in used condition, and so does a Canon 100/2. Maybe you mean the later model Summicrons.

Yes Raid. This lens is very often compared with the modern/late pre-APO/ASPH Summicron 90mm as JSU and many others (on other threads) have pointed out.

Cheers,

Superb, but freaking enormous. The aperture ring turns with the focus, so it's hard to find your aperture a lot of the time.

I sold mine. Replaced it with the much more manageable thin T-E.

Do not forget about the amazing Nikkor 105mm/2.5.
I kept it but traded off the Canon 100/2.

JSU: The LTM version and the earlier SLR version both are Sonnar designs. I have both lenses.

4892718911_be83cd8e21_z.jpg

Canon 7sZ with Canon 100mm f/2.0 LTM
Shot with Canon 100mm f/2.0 @ f/8.0 on Epson R-D1.

Canon 7sZ with Canon 100mm f/2.0 LTM
Shot with Panasonic LX3

Cheers,

I stumbled upon one of these lenses the other day in good condition at a price I could not pass up. Shot one test roll, but still working out how to use it. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or not yet, but so far like what I'm seeing.

Shot with my M3 on Fuji Super Premium 400, scanned on the Pakon

49182556333_1dbaf04d80_c.jpg

small shrine

49183257822_5984117da1_c.jpg

Nagano street

49183053666_a9588e5bfb_c.jpg

layers

49183258892_48d077a5a9_c.jpg

灯篭

Back