Reid LTM Any Reid iii camera users

Reid M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

kram

Well-known
Local time
5:23 PM
Hi, Any users of the above camera. It is supposed to be better built than the Leica it copies. What are your user experiences and observations on this camera?

Hi, Any users of the above camera. It is supposed to be better built than the Leica it copies. What are your user experiences and observations on this camera?
I don't have one, but I was asked to sell a few items a couple of years ago. One was a Reid III in good but not mint condition along with a IIIf & IIIg.

I ran some film through all three cameras including the Reid. All had not been used for some years, the IIIg wasn't too bad but some tapering on 1/1000–1/250, the IIIf was OK. The Reid, obviously, was the most valuable by a margin but had a few problems. The speed escapement wasn't selecting, the release was a little dry and needed lubrication and the rangefinder was off.

I was able to get the release working correctly and the speeds right, the RF was easy enough to adjust, but I ended up removing the cover to clean the optics as the finder was quite dirty and it was at that point the only major fault it had. I felt I ought to remedy it even if actually repairing the cameras was outside my brief.

At this point the shutter looked and sounded good so I ran a test roll through it and found the exposures, even at 1/1000, to be accurate and even. I made a point of including some sky scenes at 1/1000–1/100 to make any tapering as easy as possible to pick up—none to be found—shutter passed with flying colours.

I was impressed with its Taylor-Hobson 2" Anastigmat f/2 lens. Well made, excellent chrome over brass (I presume, from its weight) sharp and pleasing out of focus rendition. Only needed one film to test it, but I liked it so much I ran another off.

How does it compare to a Leica in build? Good question, I'd never worked on a Leica previously, only a M3 since, never a Barnack. I thought it was beautifully made, though, and of the three screw mounts it was easily my favourite.

A few images with and of it here including a couple "under the hood".

Brett thank you for your comments and link to the Reid iii. There is an opertunity to buy a very good conditioned body without a lens.

My understanding (confirmation very much required) is that the army strolled into the Leicawerk, rolled up the plans and presented them to Reid & Sigrist to copy. R & S then took the dimensions on the drawings as specifications, rather than aspirations, not realising that there was a lot of post-production tweakery between assembly and release to the customer. The net result was a camera that was (a) of superlative quality and (b) unaffordably expensive. The main customer was the Ministry of Defence, and unsold stock hung around until the late sixties, years after production had ceased.

The earlier Reid and Sigrist cameras are said to be better and every bit as good as the stuff from Wetzlar if pricier. At some point I understand that they were bought by Rank (?) and standards dropped. This from a now retired Leitz repair man.

Thanmks really interesting, Malcolm M (in particular - on a very interesting topic!). My mother-in-law's first camera was a Reid, which she used in her job at a shellfish research lab in Scotland. Given the ages of her and the camera (both circa 1945) it could well have been one of those unsold ones that hung around for years. Sadly it succumbed to working in a wet, salty environment - if only!

Just seeing this thread, but I have 2, 1 working that was restored by Don Goldberg (DAG) & 1 non-functioning & unrestored that I got as a parts body. By way of comparison, I only have 2 actual Leica "Barnack" bodies, a IIIc & a IIIg, though I do have a slew of high quality copies, mostly Japanese (Nicca, Leotax, etc.), but also American (Kardon). I would say the Reid & Sigrist is definitely of the same or better build quality as the Leitz products & certainly the highest quality Barnack copy. Photos taken with (& of) it here.

As an aside: All 35mm Leica L39 and M mount cameras are now at high prices. Might be worth a manufacture, apart from Leica) producing a new camera.

Brett thank you for your comments and link to the Reid iii. There is an opertunity to buy a very good conditioned body without a lens.
I have a British Reid camera with the correct Taylor-Hobson 50mm f2 Anastigmat lens and a replica black Japanese-made ‘Reid’ engraved lens hood. It is of the same quality as the Leica screwmount camera; it is presently under repair with replacement shutter curtains needed and a complete CLA to be done. It feels just a bit closer in action to a Leica than my American-made civilian Kardon with its 47mm f2 Kodak Ektar lens. The focussing of this lens is awkward and slow. The Reid exudes more of the Leitz ethos than the Kardon, although are eminently useable.

I have a British Reid camera with the correct Taylor-Hobson 50mm f2 Anastigmat lens and a replica black Japanese-made ‘Reid’ engraved lens hood. It is of the same quality as the Leica screwmount camera; it is presently under repair with replacement shutter curtains needed and a complete CLA to be done. It feels just a bit closer in action to a Leica than my American-made civilian Kardon with its 47mm f2 Kodak Ektar lens. The focussing of this lens is awkward and slow. The Reid exudes more of the Leitz ethos than the Kardon, although are eminently useable.
The 2"/2 Taylor-Hobson Anastigmat is an excellent lens. I use a Leitz "FISON" clamp-down hood on mine as it's a perfect fit. The 47/2 Ektar is also excellent, but is indeed awkward & slow to use because of its focus wheel design (I find the military version to be a little more user-friendly because the wheel is on the bottom). A more user-friendly version would be a LTM-converted 50/1.9 Ektar (same optical formula, I think) for the Kodak Ektra; they occasionally show up on eBay, etc.

Back