Anybody Here Have or Use Plaubel Peco Junior?

Nokton48

Mentor
Local time
6:06 PM
Plaubel Junior 6.5x9 Monorail Makina Backs by Nokton48, on Flickr

Been wanting something lighter recently. Have 50+ Makina 6.5x9 planfilm holders, and about as many RADA glass and film holders. Also have a good supply of 6.5x9 Makina backs in 6x6cm and 6.5x9cm. Many lensboards here Peco Jr which were my mistake, this stuff looks kinda identical some times. I do have a Pecoflex Adapter for my Makiflex Autos, it's identical to the front end of the Peco Jr so I already like the handling. I have most of the original lenses in the catalog, just need more Peco Jr 95x95mm boards to move them around to. Starting with the 47mm chrome Super Angulon, up to the 180mm chrome Symmar. Should be another interesting system which fits in with my other stuff. And I am contemplating a medium format digital back in the far future and this could very well be the ideal platform for it!

Here's my new camera, on it's way from Germany. Interesting rear hood included, not sure what the deal is with that.

s-l400.jpg
PLAUBEL Peco Junior Germany Large formats 9x9 6,5x9 loupe early working/422K | eBay

PLAUBEL Peco Junior Germany gross format 9x9 6,5x9 lupe früh läuft. Frühe Plaubel aus Frankfurt, PJ 1/01 Nr. With lens board, standard bellows, adjustable loupe finder with cross-section screen. foto-fina® ist eine eingetragene Wortmarke der.
www.ebay.com

Bought from a Guy in Italy four 3D Printed Peco Jr Boards. Bought one in each size.

s-l400.jpg
Lens Board for Plaubel Junior 6x9 all Sizes Copal Compur Ilex 3 3/4x3 3/4in | eBay

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
― Mark Twain

Dan,
the only Plaubel monorail I have ever seen was this Peco Supra with immaculate red bellows which belongs to a lady I know here in Tasmania. I do not know much about them—but when I saw it on a tripod in her studio, I thought it was so beautiful took this image of it. It's still one of the most gorgeous large format cameras I have ever seen. I can't wait to see some photos of your Peco Junior. And with it!
Cheers,
Brett

38965848662_24953b036b_b.jpg

Plaubel Peco Supra 4x5" Monorail
Camera: ALPA Alnea 5 35mm SLR.
Lens: Schneider 80–240mm Tele-Variogon f/4 @ 240mm.
Film: Ilford FP4 Plus 35mm black & white negative.
Development: ID-11 1 + 3 20M/20C.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

I've perused my Plaubel stash, and all of this is original Plaubel Peco Junior pieces and parts. On the far left, 6.5x9 and 2x3 Linhof Plate Film Holders. and Graflex 2x3 Holders. Also the Jim Galvin 6x9 back I bought twenty years ago from Glenn Evans. Will be modified to fit Peco Jr. Moving further right, PJ1/325 Adapter for spring loaded ground glass screen, 6.5x9cm, for Universal Darkslide 6.5x9cm with Normal Double Groove. I'll bet these are RADA and they came with the adapter, fit very precisely. They hinge open to load as you can see. Then the PJ1/431 Soft Wide Angle Bellows. Below the soft bellows, three original lenses yet to be mounted. The 47mm F8 SA, 135mm F5.6 Symmar, and 150mm f5.6 Symmar, all in original Compur. Lensboard upper right, more are coming. In lower right are Rear Mounting Plate, maybe for a digital back? Something like the Hasselblad or similar would be sweet. So MF film and digital all in one small package.

Dan,
the only Plaubel monorail I have ever seen was this Peco Supra with immaculate red bellows which belongs to a lady I know here in Tasmania. I do not know much about them—but when I saw it on a tripod in her studio, I thought it was so beautiful took this image of it. It's still one of the most gorgeous large format cameras I have ever seen. I can't wait to see some photos of your Peco Junior. And with it!
Cheers,
Brett

Plaubel Peco Supra 4x5" Monorail
Camera: ALPA Alnea 5 35mm SLR.
Lens: Schneider 80–240mm Tele-Variogon f/4 @ 240mm.
Film: Ilford FP4 Plus 35mm black & white negative.
Development: ID-11 1 + 3 20M/20C.

Hi Brett,
Yes that's lovely I agree. Looks mighty similar in style to my Plaubel stuff.

Three new lenses are coming from Germany. the 65mm f6.8 Angulon, the 100mm f5.6 Symmar, and the 150mm F9 Apo Ronar. All in Compur as in Plaubel catalog. Also I have a 65mm F8 Super Angulon with 65mm F8 Center Filter, I have not found it yet around here! But I will.

All of my soon to be new to me Peco Jr shuttered lenses and Boards will fit on my Plaubel Makiflex Automatic with PJ Adapter. I refoamed the light traps on the Adapter and it's good for another fifty years. Actually this camera becomes a Pecoflex with the Adapter, exactly the same front as the Peco Junior. So I already know I will love my new Peco Junior. It will prolly need some work but that is prolly OK with me. Certainly a new light trap in the back at least. Here the camera is shown with my 180mm f5.6 Symmar in Compur, on a slightly forward mounted board. Today the 150mm Apo Ronar in #00 Compur will appear, along with an original PJ board with #0 hole. My 135mm f5.6 Symmar will go on that one. The Magnifying Hood is Mamiya RB67 Meter model attached to stripped down Makiflex Hood Frame. My fave finder for Makis

Jim Galvin 2x3 Back bought from Glenn Evans, who bought up his entire inventory of these. Great with Graflex Wind Knobs (early) and Lever Wind (later) ones too. Even 220 I have around. In the lower left is a Profia hammered grey finish board for the back of the rear standard, fits the Junior. On the right lower is an earlier vintage Rear Board, so I can make two backs out of these if I decide to. Shown with inserted Graflex Wind Knob 6x6cm back inserted, what is really great is how greatly you can pull the wire bail back, just about anything Graflok 2x3 will fit. Attaching an older digital back on one of these is another possibility I am thinking about.

I forgot I had this mixed in with my extra Maki boards. Glenn Evans designed this custom Peco Junior Rear Board, it was excess and I got it cheaply. It is a good design, very heavy and thick and Hammerloid finish. Exactly the right thickness to fit super tightly on the Peco Jr. This will hold the Jim Galvin Back or maybe the digital. We will see.

Plaubel Peco Jr Catalog by Nokton48, on Flickr

Three additional original Peco Junior lenses are on their way; the 100mm F5.6 Symmar in more modern Compur, a 65mm f6.8 Angulon in vintage Compur, and from Igor in Cleveland, the 135mm f3.8 Xenar in Compur. The Xenar should be extra bright to look through. The 4.5 Xenar is also in the European catalog, I think I will prefer the F3.8 :)

My new to me Plaubel Peco Junior arrived from Germany today. Shown with my 210mm f5.6 Symmar lens, will focus close-up with max bellows extension. Amazingly light weight. I love the Reflex Viewfinder, the hood is adjustable side to side. But I don't think it will take film holders in any way. But I have other film backs that will fit, I guess the Reflex Viewfinder works with Makina Rail Backs and Holders, I just rebuilt one yesterday with a nice popup hood.

Looking forward to learnig to efficently use the new camera.

On the left is my Plaubel Makina IIIR, with 100mm F4.2 Rare Orthometar lens (their sharp lens), Makina Hood. Makina Yellow Filter. Also this camera has the Rare Focal Plane Shutter, with speeds to 1/1000 so high speed film can be used under bright conditions. To the right is my new Peco Junior, it's really not any bigger than my Makiflexes. I am delighted. Shown with Peco Jr Bag Bellows, and standard lens, late model 100mm F5.6 Schneider Symmar with Compur Shutter. There's a 6x9cm Makina 120 Back on the camera. Top right is the Magnifier (I think it is Plaubel!) Viewfinder I have tested it with all my Peco Junior lenses from 47mm to 210mm and it's becoming an important accessory. In right front is MX/521 Back for Plaubel Makina Double Rail Backs, I have three of these. A cool pop-up Viewfinder on the back I rebuilt and I also installed a nice fresnel behind the glass. Small and handy, slide the pop-up off, and attach a 6x6 or 6x9 Makina Roll Back.
Finally on the left front is the Standard Bellows, and the three parts (needs final assembly) of the Jim Galvin 120 Back. The board I got from Glenn fits the front of my Pecoflex, but not the Peco Junior. But I have a flat Rear Standard Plate original Peco that will be perfect for finishing this back. I made a spacer plate out of sawn alder wood in my shop, you see that on top. Peco Junior needs new front and back light seals, but in perfect working order. Like the Sinar Norma this camera locks down tight no play at all. And I have a number of original lensboards that need new light trapping.

The Magnifying Hood is really interesting and I love it. It has a large rectangular diopter in the rear. to see the entire screen with high eyepoint. Nice border area around the glass so excellent. It has an original Makina screen inside, along with a fresnel arrangement that looks factory to me. It dosen't look to me like it's ever been adapted. The strange metal cutout at the back perfectly fits one side of your face only, allowing beautiful viewing even in full sun. Quite clever device actually. And of course you can just leave it parked in the center, but that's not the point of this.

The strange front of the Magnifier (that attaches to the rear standard) pivots and swivels about 45 degrees left and right. Why would it do this?? Because it allows you to BRIGHTLY view the left side (or top) of the screen, then swivel over, and BRIGHTLY view the right side (or bottom) of the screen. Bright and crisp enough to focus every lens I have tested so far. Really cool and -useful-. It really does the job. View one side and then the other. No need for a loupe with this.

Here's Peco Jr with PJ1/325 Adapter with spring-loaded ground-glass screen, 6.5x9cm, for universal darkslide 6.5x9cm with Normal Double Groove Has four heavy clamps that keep the film holders tight in the back. As you can see the Back came with Single Shot and Double Shot 6.5x9cm Double Rail Holders. In a bundle I am hoping it works together since it came to me as a bundle. And also you can see I have a lot of 6.5x9cm sheet film in many flavours ready to load into these holders. The camera is now fully light trapped which has taken a while to get it right but now it is done and ready to test. I did try a quick roll of 120 in the Makina Roll Film 6x9cm Back and this thing is a blast to use.

Plaubel Peco Junior with 100mm f5.6 Symmar and Makina Pop Up Hood. Numerous 120 6.5x9cm Makina Roll Backs, and a few 6.5x9cm Makina Film/Plate Holders. And the Magnifying Hood. Lenses offered with the camera in the catalog I have. Top left 47mm F8 Super Angulon Compur, 65mm F6.8 Angulon Compur, 135mm F5.6 Symmar Compur, 150mm F9 Apo Ronar Compur, 150mm F5.6 Symmar Compur, 135mm F3.8 Xenar Compur, 180mm F5.6 Symmar Compur, and 210mm F5.6 Symmar Compur. All boards light trapped final step coming up is painting the rear lensboards with flat black Krylon applied with brush. Camera body fully light trapped and ready for test rolls and plates.

My Second Peco Junior sold as junk by Nokton48, on Flickr

I bought this camera a few days ago from Adorama in New York City. It was advertised as basket case junk nasty parts camera. I decided to buy it for parts, especially the rail. Now that it's here it looks to me in some ways better than the one I already have! Came with original lensboard #0 hole worth a few bucks I can tell you. So quite a deal for -seventy dollars-. Too choice to chop up for parts. :) Has another Makina Back with Plaubel Groundglass needs cleaning but totally usuable.

I have completely finished grafting the Jim Galvin Graflex Back 2.5"x3.2.5" to a Plaubel Makiflex flat rear board. I hold it together with tiny brass hobby screws on both sides. I had to light proof foam after assembly all seems to be good to go. I have six 2x3 Graphmatics, right now loaded with Fuji HRU XRay film. Also have about ten Graflex type sheet film holders. I stocked up on the film so that's another option. Camera completely ready and I've been shooting some tests on 120 Makina film backs. The Graphmatics are quick.... I did attach a custom sized fresnel to the rear of the film back. I prefer fresnels for viewing on my cameras. Camera shown with the Sinar Symmar 210mm f5.6 which is about as long as you can go especially closer up. The 180mm f5.6 Symmar has been working good too. Both lenses Compur shutters

I wanted a small incogneto digital back, to go on my new Plaubel Peco Jrs. So I took the $60 18mp Sony Nex C3 body, and JB Welded it on to a Peco Jr board with #0 hole. I put a popup hood generic type, with a moncular magnifier that folds out of the way, and viewing is very good with this! Great for lens testing, and eliminates the need for expensive Fujiroid instant material. Exposure readouts in the viewfinder great for determining base exposures through the lens. Shown here with the chrome 100mm Schneider Symmar, ina a later vintage Compur shutter. I am trying to collect the lenses that were originally offered in the Plaubel catalogs of the day. This will be a useful tool for me in the studio, also in the field. I can switch back and forth between digital and B&W film of allsorts in rolls and sheets. This will be fun to field test.

On the left back, a Plaubel Makina 35mm Roll Film Back (miniature size) on a Makiflex MX/525 Adapter Back. So 35mm film on the Peco Junior or my Makiflexes. On the right back, Sony 16mp Nex3 E camera body attached to another PJ 120x120mm lens board. As you can see the E chip is about 35mm size or so. The advantage of this new digital back is that is weighs practically nothing, and is about the size of my Makina Film Backs, with a lot less weight. Finally in the front left is a Canon Digital rear lens mount, ready to be bolted to another Plaubel 120x120 lens board. With a very short extension tube, the Canon 50D digital camera will clear the back, due to the bulging grip on the front of the camera. All this is quite usuable for photography especially digital testing of lenses and such. And of course the idea can be upscaled with an old Hasselblad or Phase 1 etc for medium format digital photography on the cheap. With the Makiflexes, I have to open the focal plane shutter at the "B" setting, then compose and shoot with the digital backs. Useful for testing and reads out correct exposures in the digital camera. So a quick and easy switch to 35mm or medium format/sheet film and digital back and forth easily.

a

I wanted a small incogneto digital back, to go on my new Plaubel Peco Jrs. So I took the $60 18mp Sony Nex C3 body, and JB Welded it on to a Peco Jr board with #0 hole. I put a popup hood generic type, with a moncular magnifier that folds out of the way, and viewing is very good with this! Great for lens testing, and eliminates the need for expensive Fujiroid instant material. Exposure readouts in the viewfinder great for determining base exposures through the lens. Shown here with the chrome 100mm Schneider Symmar, ina a later vintage Compur shutter. I am trying to collect the lenses that were originally offered in the Plaubel catalogs of the day. This will be a useful tool for me in the studio, also in the field. I can switch back and forth between digital and B&W film of allsorts in rolls and sheets. This will be fun to field test.

Reminds me of a 35mm camera back I have which said it was to be used with Kodachrome film. I think I was told it had applications in the auto industry to put a good film to use rather than having to use 4x5 when photographing possible car bodies still in clay.

That is quite a collection you are getting there. Can't wait to see both film and digital photos.

Back