Anybody want to win a Petri Color 35?

02Pilot

Malcontent
Local time
11:00 PM
First a little background, then we'll get to the contest.

49404106266_6819dd14d6_c.jpg

A couple years ago, I bought this little Petri Color 35 right here on RFF. It had a shutter problem, but I took it down, CLA'd it, and all was right with the world.

Well, almost all - I discovered that the wire feeding power from the battery to the meter was corroded sufficiently that there was no chance of fixing it without complete and total disassembly. No matter, I don't use meters anyway. I left it alone.

I had high hopes. It's a cleverly designed camera in a very compact, usable package. The controls are easily accessed. The viewfinder is bright and clear. The Head Bartender has called it a "masterpiece".

Alas, it was not to be. The little Petri and I have different ways of doing things. I'm a set-it-and-forget-it shooter, especially when it comes to scale focus cameras, and the Color 35 doesn't want me to be. The focus wheel, so convenient when holding the camera to your eye and looking at the distance indicator in the finder, has no external markings, I found myself having to confirm focus every time I wanted to take a shot. Fine for some, but not for me.

So here we are. I have a mostly-perfect (meter excepted) Petri Color 35 that I never use. I have too many cameras and too little shelf space. Time to send it to someone who will use it. I've been the recipient of other members' generosity in the past, so now it's my turn.

Here's the deal: between now and next Saturday (18 Jan 2020 to 25 Jan 2020 inclusive), post one (and only one) photo taken with a scale focus 35mm camera in this thread. The only information you should include is the camera it was taken with; no stories, no other details. I will subjectively chose a few that I like and post them in a new thread with a poll. Participants will vote for their favorite over a fixed period of time (TBD). Winner gets the camera.

Participants must be existing members of RFF and have at least 10 posts to have their photo included in the voting.

For reasons of shipping costs, the following limitation applies: shipping in CONUS will be covered; if the winner is outside of CONUS and still wishes to have the camera, they will cover shipping costs. If they choose not to, I will move down the list in order. Sorry for this, but I don't want to commit myself to spending a fortune shipping the camera halfway around the globe.

I had the black one - very nice looking, but I had exactly the same issue with ergonomics, so I sold it. Great contest, looking forward to see many nice photos.

The first camera I ever bought, at about 14-15, with saved pay at the original Belk's store here in Charlotte, NC, 1973, there about.

I carried it everywhere and spent my off and lunch/diner time walking the Square, and in my favorite restaurant, taking candid shots in B&W.

A wonderful offer, I'll see what I can come up with, happily.

I would like to play with this image "Angel of stone" taken with a FED 50 Avtomat + Polipan F 50 film developed with Caffenol

Attachments

• 1579610478_tmp_Angel_of_stone.jpg
    1579610478_tmp_Angel_of_stone.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
I think I have that one or one of its cousins. Had it for years but I don't remember ever using it. It has the mercury battery in it that still worked the last time I test fired it. That was about 3 or 4 years. Nice looking little camera. The Petri camera line were once known for good cameras and lenses without the big price.

giganova - Interesting area. The wife and I used to shop there when we moved to this area in the late 80's. I think it has changed as to its the people who shop there. In oriental food it used to have good prices and good restaurants. In the shops not many Americans knew it, but bargaining was acceptable.

Thanks to all those who have already posted photos. Just a reminder that tomorrow is the last day for submissions, so if any of you have been procrastinating, now's the time!

Back