Anyone use cheapo SL adapters?

I don't know... With such an expensive camera and expensive M lenses, I don't think I would ever use a $15 adapter. I have the official Leica adapter because pretty much all my M lenses are 6-bit coded and I like the automatic identification/correction.

If I didn't have the Leica adapter, I think I would look for a Novoflex, or other high-quality third-party brand. (Not that I'm sure if Novoflex sells a M-SL/T adapter...)

Huss,

I use the Leica T-M and M-R, as well as a Novaflex Nikon F-mount to Leica "R" adapter. I also use a Leica Viso-flex to "R" adapter to use a 65/3.5 Viso Elmar.

The use of adapters on a SL is a great reason to own a SL. I use a 58/1.2 Noct Nikkor, and because I stack adapters I'm able to use the Noctilux 50/1.2 lens profile when using the Noct-Nikkor. Being able to exploit the lens profiles to me is a very big deal. I feel the lens profiles help optimize the lens to the camera. The Noct-Nikkor on the SL is very impressive. The movable zoom allows a very high hit rate of nailing the focus. No need to reframe like in a rangefinder.

These adapters do not make for a compact rig, and also they extend the counterlevering force on the lensmount. I for one would not trust a cheap lens mount, and understand that the 35 Lux-R 3 cam is about the same size as an 80 Lux-R being both long and heavy.

Cal

I ordered one, and will let you know if it's crap or not! I'm fully aware of checking on the build quality etc.

Cal - doesn't stacking adapters mean you cannot get infinity focus? Or even close to that? You essentially are creating close focus rings.

I ordered one, and will let you know if it's crap or not! I'm fully aware of checking on the build quality etc.

Cal - doesn't stacking adapters mean you cannot get infinity focus? Or even close to that? You essentially are creating close focus rings.

Huss,

I focus infinity just fine. Understand that the SL being mirrorless has a very small distance from lens mount to sensor. The M-mount adapter increases and matches the appropriate distance for accounting for the M to mirrorless offset.

My Leica M-R adapter allows stacking on my SL to mount an increased distance of a Leica SLR lens onto the SL as if I were mounting a "R" lens on a "M" body when used inconjunction with the M-T adapter.

Also there is versatility where you could use "R" glass on say a M-240 or M-246 using the Leica M-R adapter. On these cameras I believe you even get to use "R" profiles on your M-body.

I found stacking adapters offered more freedom and flexibility. The Leica adapters also automatically figures out if I am using a M lens or R lens. The selection of profiles remains manual unless you mount a 6-bit lens, otherwise the last setting whether M or R is selected as a default. Very thoughtfully executed and eloquent. Mighty smart design.

All the adapters are doing is offering a lens mount and the proper/appropriate spacing at a basic level, but with the Leica adapters you also have an interface with the lens profiles.

Originally I bought a Novoflex Nikon F-mount to Leica "T" mount to use the Noct-Nikkor on my SL. This direct adapter offered no lens profile or selection. Basically using this adapter I was shooting without any lens profile/correction.

Because I'm stubborn, because I live in NYC, and because B&H has a no gripe return policy I was able to test, learn and experiment to fully develop my SL's capabilities. Later I bought a used M to Nikon F-mount Novoflex adapter for less money, in new condition with box, that allowed me to use M-profiles on Nikon glass. Paying the premium to have lens profiles I think is a good deal.

To me stacking adapters allows more creative freedom and further intergration as well as adaptability.

Cal

Dood, for $15 I figured at worst I would be providing a test case for the collective. They then can decide if they feel better about paying $400 for one!

Here's how crazy that $400 price is. For the price of that lens adapter you can have an entire, brand new (and very nice I have one) 7Artisans 50 1.1 lens! With $30 in change to buy my $15 adapter and lunch!

Aaaaaand, that $400 adapter is made in Portugal! They can't even claim that mythical Wetzlar mark up!

Huss..I was just kidding...lol..
I buy those el cheapo adapters all the time...some of them are tight..others not so..use em all in any case..lens wobble is endemic..
But if I was pawing out the serious bread for an SL..hmmmm...
I would probably do what you are doing..and if it didn't work out..then get the real thing..

Without the Leica M Adapter L, you are giving up one of the best parts of the SL system: the ability to use nearly any Leica lens with a customized lens profile to correct it so that its original imaging behavior is preserved on the digital sensor.

The M Adapter L is not only better made than most of the other adapters, it has its own tripod mount accessory so that the heavier lenses can be fitted to the SL and put on a tripod in a more balanced arrangement. Unlike the other adapters, it also has electronics to tell the SL (or T, or CL) that you've got an M mount lens fitted, and if your M mount lens is coded, it transfers the code and populates the EXIF data correctly.

I tried a couple other adapters on the SL as well: neither of them work as well as the Leica M Adapter L for M lenses.

Like Cal, I stack the R Adapter M onto the M Adapter L to use my R lenses—this was the only configuration available for the SL until the R Adapter L shipped a year later. The only downside to it is that some long R lenses will vignette with it (due to the small M throat diameter) as will extreme extension for high magnification macro work (like 2.7:1 using the Leica Focusing Bellow-R with a Summicron-R 50mm lens...).

Cheap lens mount adapters ... well, you get what you pay for. They work for the most part, but they don't present the quality that Leica branded gear has, nor do they support all the features the way Leica branded gear does. If they work for you, obviously go ahead and enjoy. But I like what having all the features my camera supports available... :D

Without the Leica M Adapter L, you are giving up one of the best parts of the SL system: the ability to use nearly any Leica lens with a customized lens profile to correct it so that its original imaging behavior is preserved on the digital sensor.

For $15 I don't mind selecting the lens manually in the menu! Takes just a second. And it's what I would need to do anyway even if I had the $400 Leica adapter if I used non 6 bit coded lenses.

For $15 I don't mind selecting the lens manually in the menu! Takes just a second. And it's what I would need to do anyway even if I had the $400 Leica adapter if I used non 6 bit coded lenses.

Huss,

I'm not sure you will get the Leica lens profiles.

When I bought the first Novoflex T to Nikon F-mount adapter I did not get access to the Leica Lens Profile Menus. I would not expect your $15.00 adapter to have access either.

I was able to get a workaround and get access to the M lens profile only through the use of the Leica M-T adapter and the Novoflex M-Nikon F-mount adapter.

I believe Godfrey is correct: you will not have access and will be locked out of the lens profiles that optimize the lenses to the SL. Kind of a big deal.

Cal

Yes, as Cal says, it's not clear that you will get the Leica lens profiles applied without the Leica adapter. You can choose and set one, but I have not seen any evidence that they are actually applied without the right adapter in place.

BTW: Is this in reference to using the adapter on an SL or CL? I'm very cognizant of SL behavior in nearly all circumstances with adapted lenses, but the CL is brand new...

My $15 Chinese M-TL adapter came in today. Seems really nicely made, butt we'll see.

Here's a big difference. While the $400 Leica one has stainless steel/chrome facings for both the camera/adapter and lens/adapter sides, the $15 one only has it on the lens/adapter side. The camera/adapter side is anodized black aluminum like the rest of the body.

I just noticed my Fotodiox MD-M, Nik-M and M42-M adapters, which all work perfectly, also have only one side with the stainless steel/chrome facing.

I use many different adapters for different cameras though not the SL. Quite a collection in fact as I use Leica M Mount, Leica LTM mount, Nikon, Canon etc lenses on both M4/3 and Sony cameras. Speaking personally I would not hesitate to use cheap adapters. Sometimes you get a dud one though not often these days. If you do, you throw it away and you buy another for $10. If you are worried about quality, look for "K&F Concept" brand lens mount adapters to see if they make adapters for these cameras. They are a definite cut above the other cheap Chinese ones in terms of build quality and reliability. They cost a bit more but we are talking in the range $20 -$30 instead of $10 so it's not an issue (not $400).

There is no way I would or could use all these lens types on these cameras if I had to pay several hundred bucks a throw. I presume you can enter the lens type into the SL via a menu? You certainly can with Nikon DSLRs for example, so the ability to automatically detect different lenses (which seems to be what people say it can do) seems a bit of a luxury that I would willingly forego. But of course if you can afford it.......

BTW If it still worries you, check out the LTM to Leica M mount adapters on the subject of plating of surfaces. Mine are all original Leitz product and only have chrome on the front face not on the rear bearing surface so I do not think that to be an issue either.

I use many different adapters for different cameras though not the SL. Quite a collection in fact as I use Leica M Mount, Leica LTM mount, Nikon, Canon etc lenses on both M4/3 and Sony cameras. Speaking personally I would not hesitate to use cheap adapters. Sometimes you get a dud one though not often these days. If you do, you throw it away and you buy another for $10. If you are worried about quality, look for "K&F Concept" brand lens mount adapters to see if they make adapters for these cameras. They are a definite cut above the other cheap Chinese ones in terms of build quality and reliability. They cost a bit more but we are talking in the range $20 -$30 instead of $10 so it's not an issue (not $400).

There is no way I would or could use all these lens types on these cameras if I had to pay several hundred bucks a throw. I presume you can enter the lens type into the SL via a menu? You certainly can with Nikon DSLRs for example, so the ability to automatically detect different lenses (which seems to be what people say it can do) seems a bit of a luxury that I would willingly forego. But of course if you can afford it.......

BTW If it still worries you, check out the LTM to Leica M mount adapters on the subject of plating of surfaces. Mine are all original Leitz product and only have chrome on the front face not on the rear bearing surface so I do not think that to be an issue either.

Peter,

With a Novoflex Nikon F-mount to Leica T-mount I had no access to lens profiles, so none could be selected. This was not a cheap adapter.

I later tricked the SL to allow me access to the M-lens profiles by stacking adapters: Nikon F-mount to Leica M-mount; and a Lieca M-mount to Leica T-mount.

I use this stacked adapters to use a Noct-Nikkor on my SL using the Noctilux 50/1.2 profile. This is a really great portrait lens that has a hand ground ASPH lens that is sharp wide open, although the sharpnss has falloff towards the edges and corners.

From my experience the lens profiles only come up when the camera recognizes either a native Leica lens or a Leica adapter. One cannot just manually select a profile like on a M.

Cal

Peter,

With a Novoflex Nikon F-mount to Leica T-mount I had no access to lens profiles, so none could be selected. This was not a cheap adapter.

I later tricked the SL to allow me access to the M-lens profiles by stacking adapters: Nikon F-mount to Leica M-mount; and a Lieca M-mount to Leica T-mount.

I use this stacked adapters to use a Noct-Nikkor on my SL using the Noctilux 50/1.2 profile. This is a really great portrait lens that has a hand ground ASPH lens that is sharp wide open, although the sharpnss has falloff towards the edges and corners.

From my experience the lens profiles only come up when the camera recognizes either a native Leica lens or a Leica adapter. One cannot just manually select a profile like on a M.

Cal

I believe you of course but it seems to me to be a startling failure on the part of Leica not to include in their camera a menu to allow you select the lens being mounted so metadata and profiles can be applied to lenses that are not coded. Nikon DSLRs have this capacity and of course while the menu only lists Nikon MF (unchipped) lenses there is no reason why you cannot select a suitable surrogate Nikon lens if you are mounting a different maker's lens instead. Perhaps it is another one of those weird Leica things as in NO ONE would dare using a non Leica lens on a Leica camera.

I suppose in one way it would not worry me that much. Although I like the metadata to be included so I know which lens an image is shot with I am generally happy to fix things like vignetting in post processing as it gives me maximum control over the final image. Still I always use that menu on Nikon when mounting a manual (unchipped) lens on it.

I believe you of course but it seems to me to be a startling failure on the part of Leica not to include in their camera a menu to allow you select the lens being mounted so metadata and profiles can be applied to lenses that are not coded. ...

But they do, presuming you use an adapter that tells the body a lens is being fitted. Without that, they don't inject any lens profile data. The Leica adapters allow any Leica lens, coded or not, to be matched with a lens profile. For coded lenses (M) and ROM lenses (R), the correct profile is selected automatically. For non-coded and non-ROM lenses, you pick the correct profile manually.

What Leica doesn't support is selecting a Leica lens profile with a non-Leica adapter. I'm not sure why this matters to them, or rather I suspect it's just a side effect of how the lens recognition/coding/ROM interface is implemented ... But just like any other camera maker, they don't know and don't test what third party lens adapters do. They build their lens profiles and their adapters, and test those with their lenses.

G

I believe you of course but it seems to me to be a startling failure on the part of Leica not to include in their camera a menu to allow you select the lens being mounted so metadata and profiles can be applied to lenses that are not coded. Nikon DSLRs have this capacity and of course while the menu only lists Nikon MF (unchipped) lenses there is no reason why you cannot select a suitable surrogate Nikon lens if you are mounting a different maker's lens instead. Perhaps it is another one of those weird Leica things as in NO ONE would dare using a non Leica lens on a Leica camera.

I suppose in one way it would not worry me that much. Although I like the metadata to be included so I know which lens an image is shot with I am generally happy to fix things like vignetting in post processing as it gives me maximum control over the final image. Still I always use that menu on Nikon when mounting a manual (unchipped) lens on it.

Peter,

While not offering the Nikon flexibility you mention, my understanding that when using a Sony A7 with Leica glass that basically no lens profiles are available unless created.

I don't think Leica is the only maker that tries to corner their market.

This can be frustrating because having lens profiles and optimized corrections are a huge asset. For me kinda worth the price of a Leica adapter to have the lens profiles.

Cal

Back