Anyone with dust melted into the sensor of the M9?

Anyone with dust melted into the sensor of the M9?

• Yes, i do, but I do not know what to do

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not checked, but I am going to

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Yes, Leica replaced my sensor at no cost because the used a cheap cover on the sensor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I had to buy a new sensor and hope the new one is not prone to the same

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I do not care, I clone out that dust bunny

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can attest, for what it's worth, that the Visible Dust system is great.

Keith,

At the last NYC Meet-Up there were a lot of laughs about how much money I spent on my Visible Dust kit. The kit I bought was not inexpensive, but I think worth it if you want to maintain your camera.

Cal

+1.

... Please don't make a big deal out of nothing, or confuse a now known design defect with routine maintenance that should be your responsibility.

Cal

Thanks for your comment. In fact, in Dec 2013,when I first posted my "melted dust into the sensor", I had no idea that there was a known effort to get Leica to accept a flaw in the design/construction of the M9. I thought it was my fault for not caring for the camera (although I do care). Finally, and thanks to the Leica Forum, I found out that it was a Leica flaw. I sent the camera, they agreed and changed the sensor and CLA my camera. I am very thankful. I do clean my Canon, Pentax sensors, but I hesitated to clean the Leica because of the warranty. As it turned out, it was not "melting" dust onto the sensor. Although, it looked that way. It was a corrosion from within the sensor and the cover. In any case. My M9 was good then, and is good now. I intent to keep is as log as I live. It is one of the best cameras, second only to my M8.2. ;)

Thanks for your comment. In fact, in Dec 2013,when I first posted my "melted dust into the sensor", I had no idea that there was a known effort to get Leica to accept a flaw in the design/construction of the M9. I thought it was my fault for not caring for the camera (although I do care). Finally, and thanks to the Leica Forum, I found out that it was a Leica flaw. I sent the camera, they agreed and changed the sensor and CLA my camera. I am very thankful. I do clean my Canon, Pentax sensors, but I hesitated to clean the Leica because of the warranty. As it turned out, it was not "melting" dust onto the sensor. Although, it looked that way. It was a corrosion from within the sensor and the cover. In any case. My M9 was good then, and is good now. I intent to keep is as log as I live. It is one of the best cameras, second only to my M8.2. ;)

My comments are about dust that bonds strongly to the sensor due to the element of time. It has been my experience if a little preventitive maintenance is performed dust does not get the opportunity to get stubborn, and wet cleanings can be avoided.

Sorry to hear that you went through the corrosion difficulty. I love my MM9, and I intend on hopefully keeping it, even though also hopefully one day I want to also own the new M-246 also. It has been 2 1/2 years and I have no signs of corrosion.

Cal

Back