Israel Apropo Two New Israeli Members

R

ruben

I do not have a propper subforum for the following post, but if I could invent one, I would choose the name of "The Last Days of Pompey", and regroup there all those Orwellian apocalyptic prophecies about the end of film, rangefinders, etc.

Now you may be asking what this has to do with two new Israeli members, Joshua_G and Assaf (welcome!), and I do not blame you for the question, as you do not live here.

But if you happened to live here you would know that Israel is not only a very small country with a very small population and almost no stable market for anything but what is trendy and new. Although a very mixed population, the last cry of fashion rules here furiously and you have to chase it at time or remain without, since importers in general are short of stock. The waves of digital technology have been hitiing here as a trmendous Zunami over a tiny island. (see for example this thread: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=578273#post578273

So upon my personal feeling of the country, perhaps with the sin of optimism too, I want to say that if RFF has managed to scratch from Israel, in the last couple of years around a dozen members - this may be a small sign of something quite big worldwide, about the future.

Cheers,
Ruben

PS:
A few months ago I predicted RFF members will surpass this year the Dow Jones. Long ago I don't check the Dow, but here, "Members: 13,778".

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruben, perhaps the significant number of people from the FSU creates a rangefinder microculture in Israel?

Cheers, Ian

I know of several RF photogs in Israel - but they don't shoot exclusively RF(I sin with the ocassional SLR or TLR shot). I think there are plenty of BW film photogs around(some former FSU like I,some localy bred).

My issue is not Israel, but the worldwide future of film & RFF. taking my desertic country as a reference only. Am I not clear enough ?

Michael, of course there are lots of film users worldwide not using rangefinders. It is good that you remind it, since at days of desperation we tend to forget it.

Cheers,
Ruben

PS
Accordingly this thread was formerly submitted at the Rangefinder General Interest subforum

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Nice thoughts, but lets be more realistic. Can we meet and have real face to face talk?

I haven't been on RFF for a while so I had forgotten Ruben although I have thought about him from time to time. Some of you may remember him from before. I always thought he was quite a gentleman. He and I exchanged a few messages not only on cameras, but other topics as well. I wish he were back with us. Do any members know what happened to him? I think I did hear that he had gone to some other forum, but forget what forum.

Back