Article: Photographing Monochrome with Leica M (Typ 240)

Very interesting. Thanks for your observations and I will be trying this exact technique myself very soon.

Really interesting. I did this (by mistake, actually) with a red filter on the M8, with far worse luck--the red channel was completely blown out. Might try it again, seeing your results…

By the way, I've been flipping through your blog occasionally for the past few months. I love your work!

Enjoyed the pictures, to my eyes B&W and the French countryside are a fine pairing.

I wouldn't say the pictures resemble Tri-X, as *Ansel* said. I don't mean this as a criticism. Ilford XP2 was my first thought, shot at box speed.

Quite a few cameras have internal color filter (simulation) in the monochrome mode. I wonder how these stack up against actual glass filters.

Hey Guys!!

Thanks for the replies, maybe I used the wrong words, but what I wanted to say with the 'almost akin tri-x' is that I felt that the colour filter behaved the same as on TRI-X... maybe not the best way to word it out. haha

The lens review of the 50's will come soon, I'll be comparing the 50mm elmar-m 50mm summicron-m 50mm summilux-m and Carl Zeis 50mm Sonnar. I'll see if I can get hands on a Noctilux and some older Summiluxes.

But I'm pretty busy, and time flies so I have to find time to do the review/writeup and do the actual testing with the lenses.

Quite a few cameras have internal color filter (simulation) in the monochrome mode. I wonder how these stack up against actual glass filters.

This will be my next test, once I have all the colour filters in glass REAL touchable in my hands, I will compare the real filters with the in camera filters. of the M (Typ 240)

Hey Guys!!

Thanks for the replies, maybe I used the wrong words, but what I wanted to say with the 'almost akin tri-x' is that I felt that the colour filter behaved the same as on TRI-X... maybe not the best way to word it out. haha

The lens review of the 50's will come soon, I'll be comparing the 50mm elmar-m 50mm summicron-m 50mm summilux-m and Carl Zeis 50mm Sonnar. I'll see if I can get hands on a Noctilux and some older Summiluxes.

But I'm pretty busy, and time flies so I have to find time to do the review/writeup and do the actual testing with the lenses.

Looking forward to it. Keep up the good work. :)

p.s. Love this image of yours:

http://d3etmzbgskksaz.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/freddie_cat-1600x1068.jpg

I'm not so sure this accomplishes anything you couldn't do by shooting without a yellow filter, and then partially desaturating the blue channel in post. The more you desaturate the blue, the stronger "yellow filter effect" I think you would get. I suppose you could even increase the yellow saturation as well. Raising saturation for green along with yellow ought to mimic the effect of the popular yellow-green filter.

It seems to make sense. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Looks like regular digital monochome to my eyes, with lotsa grey, and not that much character.

Took me six years to check it. I'm looking at many M Monochrome pictures recently.
Those in OP might have some PP boost on the contrast, but they are good, because fine details are present.
Many Monochrome pictures I have seen are OOF or over-PPed to the total loss of fine details.

Back