AYOOC, a very rare Leica finder

Roger Hicks

Mentor
Local time
9:06 AM
Another in the series about Leica bits that a young friend inherited: the incredibly rare AYOOC waist-level finder for 50mm and 35mm. The real puzzle to me is that anyone ever bought one of these. Is there anyone here who has a weakness for "waist level" (really chest-level) finders for 35 mm cameras? If so, which ones?

Cheers,

R.

That is something I would enjoy trying out and using.
Had a Yashica T4 Super D with the waist level finder and I found it to be useful at times.

That is something I would enjoy trying out and using.
Had a Yashica T4 Super D with the waist level finder and I found it to be useful at times.
Wow! That must have been one of the last! I have to admit that I'd never heard of it: too new for me. Thanks for the information.

Cheers,

R.

I like the AHOOT

I am not keen on 28mm lenses but I really dig the name that letter code spells out.

Roger,

I frequently use a Nikon F2 with the finder removed on the streets of NY. I own the WLF but I only use it in low light conditions.

Cordialement

If you're going to get a waist-level finder for your Barnack, you may as well get one you can actually focus with:

Megoflex
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

This is the Hugo Meyer Megoflex that I used to have. It worked great -- not only could it function as a 'waist-level' finder, but it had a magnifier you could deploy for critical focusing. You could also fold the mirror down and use an eye-level finder on the back to focus.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money on a waist-level finder, a DeMornay Budd reflex viewer basically does the same thing. Oftentimes, however, these types of finders were made for specific lenses (like the 5cm f/3.5 Elmar or the 5cm f/2 Summar to be precise), and in some cases (like the Megoflex above) for specific cameras, so double-check before you lay down money on one.

At least with a reflex finder you get a decent-sized image (built in or add-on). The image with the AYOOC is tiny. On the other hand, you can easily use an AYOOC in portrait format, unlike either a normal 35 mm SLR with the prism off or a Megoflex. I've always though Megoflexes look beautiful, but even when I handled one belonging to a friend, I've had absolutely no desire to get one.

Cheers,

R.

If you're going to get a waist-level finder for your Barnack, you may as well get one you can actually focus with:

Megoflex
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

This is the Hugo Meyer Megoflex that I used to have. It worked great -- not only could it function as a 'waist-level' finder, but it had a magnifier you could deploy for critical focusing. You could also fold the mirror down and use an eye-level finder on the back to focus.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money on a waist-level finder, a DeMornay Budd reflex viewer basically does the same thing. Oftentimes, however, these types of finders were made for specific lenses (like the 5cm f/3.5 Elmar or the 5cm f/2 Summar to be precise), and in some cases (like the Megoflex above) for specific cameras, so double-check before you lay down money on one.

Got to say this left me speechless for a bit :)

I think it beats Visoflex on size.

Regards

Marcelo

Got to say this left me speechless for a bit :)

I think it beats Visoflex on size.

Regards

Marcelo

Not really -- it actually folds down, so it can be made very compact. Plus it's nowhere near the weight of a Visoflex. The DeMornay Budd is about the same as well.

Another in the series about Leica bits that a young friend inherited: the incredibly rare AYOOC waist-level finder for 50mm and 35mm. The real puzzle to me is that anyone ever bought one of these. Is there anyone here who has a weakness for "waist level" (really chest-level) finders for 35 mm cameras? If so, which ones?

Cheers,

R.

That would be perfect for me! I have to shoot from a wheelchair with my camera mounted in front of me. With my Pentax SLRs I use a right angle finder on the eyepiece, but I haven't found a good solution for my 35mm rangefinder cameras.

Megoflex
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Back when I was using Barnack cameras I always wanted one of these - but found them very difficult to find, and too expensive for me when one did eventually turn up.

I ended up with a Khun Wetzlar Flexameter - such as this:

http://gmpphoto.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-very-rare-leica-accessory.html

John

Cheers,

R.
Roger,
I don't mind using the (excellent) waist level finder with my pair of Praktina FX SLRs, but it's normally when my 58mm Biotar is attached, and, although the built in Galilean finder is designed for a 50mm lens, it's close enough for 58mm that being able to frame and shoot through this avoids the complications of dealing with a reversed field of view, (particularly for portrait-orientated shots of course). With a 35mm camera generally, I think a waist level shines when using a SLR on a tripod below shoulder height, but very occasionally I've also used one on the street, when seeking to be less conspicuous about my imaging.
Cheers,
Brett

I have the Leitz waist level finder the version without the swing out lens for 35mm. It can be useful for sneaking a shot when your victim think you are only fidgeting with the camera. Shooting sideways is another use but I never got the hang of it.

Nearly bought a AYOOC for peanuts, until the seller figured out what he had.
And I let him renege on the deal.

I have one of these flexameters, but I never use it.

13516156_1028682147180142_5945469719821917476_n.jpg

Back