Battery question

Tummler

Local time
10:09 PM
Hello,
I have an Orion EE camera and from what I've found it needs a RC53 battery. Does someone know what is the voltage of this battery ?
(On http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Orion_EE, it says "A modern PX625 (or equivalent) battery can be used instead, although exposure correction of -1 EV may be necessary")
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The PX625 is, or rather was, a mercury battery. They are now illegal in most countries and have many alternatives.

Their voltage was 1.35v and you can get a Wein cell (MRB625) to replace them or else the expensive adapters with a diode to regulate the voltage. Wein cells are dear-ish and last about a year.

The diode adapters (MR-9) take dirt cheap hearing aid batteries (SR43) and usually come from a firm in Japan called Kanto Cameras.

You should be warned that you'll often find something that looks like the expensive adapters but which won't have the diode in it to regulate the voltage but will fit in the camera and take a cheap battery.

FWIW, I have used both and settled for the MR-9 eventually. I use it in a Leica meter on my M4 and the Leica CL. I gave up on the Wein cells when I realised how many I'd bought over the years.

Regards, David

PS (EDIT) The Orion EE looks very interesting...

Small correction: the adapters with a diode that I know of are for a a silver oxide or alkaline battery. With the wein cell, or simply cheap hearing aid zinc-air type batteries, there is no need for a diode because they have pretty much the same voltage as mercury cells (1.35 to 1.4 V). I'd just use a hearing aid battery and wrap a strip of cardboard around it so that it doesn't rattle around (they are smaller in diameter). Only downside is they don't last long. But they are very cheap.

Just get a 625 alkaline (may have to get it online; I don't find them in drugstores anymore) and adjust the meter, as they suggest. So, set the meter for ISO 200 when using 400 speed film, for example. Presumably the RC53 is 1.35V.

Thank you for your answers.
I found an interesting document here : https://www.butkus.org/chinon/batt-adapt-us.pdf
I read it quickly and it seems the best option is to use a silver oxyde cell with a shottky diode.
For the adapter, a 3d model can be downloaded on Thingiverse.
I'll try this solution.

Unfortunately, last time I checked there is no silver oxide substitute battery for the PX625. A 625 Alkaline battery is available, fits, and works well. Depending on the camera you may, or may not, have to adjust the ASA speed.

Unfortunately, last time I checked there is no silver oxide substitute battery for the PX625. A 625 Alkaline battery is available, fits, and works well. Depending on the camera you may, or may not, have to adjust the ASA speed.

Yep I could not find silver oxide batteries either. Be aware that Alkaline batteries show different readings as they wear down. One of the benefits of the old mercury cells was that they provided consistent voltage until they expired. I don't know about the silver oxide.

Yep I could not find silver oxide batteries either. Be aware that Alkaline batteries show different readings as they wear down. One of the benefits of the old mercury cells was that they provided consistent voltage until they expired. I don't know about the silver oxide.
While it's true the Alkaline (and silver oxide) batteries voltage drops over use the extremely small power requirements of small fixed RF cameras means they last a long time.

The silver oxide batteries are straight sided and the mercury ones have a rim to them. You can buy a sort of lifebelt for them or remove one from a dead Wein cell.

The Wein cells are OK and easy to obtain.

Hearing aid batteries in dozen are a waste of money imo as their shelf life means the last few are past it by the time you come to use them. OTOH, SR43's can be found easily in packs of one or two. Only a minor consideration but worth knowing.

Regards, David

While it's true the Alkaline (and silver oxide) batteries voltage drops over use the extremely small power requirements of small fixed RF cameras means they last a long time.

I use the Alkaline batteries since they are available and require no hacks but I time them and toss them before they show any signs of degeneration. I learned the hard way that they will show false readings at the end of their life.

Back