Being Free of Photography Dogmas -- Walkie Talkie with Reuben Radding

Never heard of this guy, but I like what he has to say! Equally important, I like his work, too. Thanks for the post, filmtwit!

I like him, his passion, and his work. His shooting method, however, is not one I would find satisfying at all.

I relate to how enamored he was with the Ricoh experience (GR, I assume). He didn't explain why he didn't stick with it. It seems like a better fit for his way of working.

I like him, his passion, and his work. His shooting method, however, is not one I would find satisfying at all.

I relate to how enamored he was with the Ricoh experience (GR, I assume). He didn't explain why he didn't stick with it. It seems like a better fit for his way of working.

I agree. The GR is perfect for that sort of loose style of shooting.

Heavily redacted. A nice guy? Does it matter? New York represents the old world. Most Americans don't travel so they don't know. Cheers, OtL

In these forums, NY is presented as the ultimate city of tomorrow. This is understandable since most contributors are American or from the Northern Hemisphere. However, the future cities of this Century are in SE Asia: Shanghai, Jakarta, Saigon, and Taipeh to name a few. Cheers, OtL

In these forums, NY is presented as the ultimate city of tomorrow. This is understandable since most contributors are American or from the Northern Hemisphere. However, the future cities of this Century are in SE Asia: Shanghai, Jakarta, Saigon, and Taipeh to name a few. Cheers, OtL

I don't know that any of that is necessarily true...my opinion. :)

Back OT...thanks for the link...
​​​Interesting program. No dogma is dogma isn't it?

Are you talking photographically? Culturally? Industry? Population? Aesthetics?

Huh. I watched this while working this afternoon - I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, but I got quite a lot out of it.

Generally speaking, I actively dislike street photography. I always associate it with the Gilden school of run, gun, fire a flash in someone's face. This guy actually has some good photos and, despite what Boojum said, I thought he was surprisingly erudite and thoughtful on the nature of street photography and the process.

The editing definitely didn't help, though. I hate the trend on Youtube for snipping every bit of silence out from each utterance. It's jarring as hell and makes everything seem disjointed.

Thanks for the clarification. See here: How New Yorkers See The World: View of the World from 9th Avenue – Brilliant Maps
For a while, post-WWII, New York was the center of the Art World (and we'll include photography in that generalization). And while that is no longer the case, thankfully, it is still a major player. I think that we're shifting to a world of multiple centers of power and influence, both in the arts and in all else, and that's a good thing. The world is too diverse to be dominated by one Western viewpoint.

"The last time I heard anything about a city of tomorrow was in the 1960s". What's the last time you've spent more than two weeks outside of the USA? As a former expatriate and traveler, let me assure you that the world we live in is changing very fast. Cheers, OtL

At first glance, before watching, it looks like another hipsta with film M. It was a relief to hear it is digital. Cool he is using late GW lens.
Most he is saying is 100% close to me.

I miss my long days with camera on the streets. Now just commute with quick ride from train to work on bicycle and dog park, hiking, plus plenty of longboard/surfskate.

Back