BRASS Voigtlander LTM and M lenses?

acjeske

Local time
7:34 PM
I'm sure some of you know this, but I'm having a terrible time trying to figure this out.

I'm looking for brass lenses in LTM or M mount from Voigtlander. Specifically, I'm interested in silver/chrome colored ones.

I know the 50/2.5 is in black and I think so in silver.

I saw there's a collapsible heliar 50/2.5 that is (seems rare, not interested anyway in collapsible).

The 28/3.5 LTM in silver is.

Anybody know about the 21/4 LTM in silver?

Anything else?

Did Voigtländer make anything LTM in brass? My 50/1.5 looks like brass under the black paint, but was gold anodized aluminum according to Tom A. My 21/4 LTM is too light to be brass.

The old LTM 35mm f/1.7 Ultron was brass.
You might try asking Stephen (user: CameraQuest and the owner of this forum) if he knows since he is a US importer for CV products.
Phil Forrest

I don't think that the Ultron 35mm f1.7 LTM is in brass; the metal has a brass color, but it is gold anodized aluminum, like the 50mm f1.5. The lens is too light for a brass lens.

The collapsible black paint Heliar 50mm f/2 collapsible is not made of brass; the lens is quite heavy, but I do not see brass on worn spots of the paint. Maybe stainless steel.

The 50mm f2.5 LTM and the 28mm f3.5 LTM are brass. They can be had black painted or chromed.

The new 35mm f2 Voigtländer lens can be a brass lens, I've never seen one in reality.

The LLL 8 element 35mm f2 M lens is brass too. The original 8 element Summicron however is an aluminium lens.

Erik.

I think my Heliar 50mm 2.0 nickel plated lens is brass underneath, it is heavy.
But, since these lenses were limited to 600 pcs. and resemble the rigid Summar, they are expensive by now

I don't think that the Ultron 35mm f1.7 LTM is in brass; the metal has a brass color, but it is gold anodized aluminum, like the 50mm f1.5. The lens is too light for a brass lens.
Erik.

If you cut into the metal of the LTM Ultron 35, it's brass, largely through and through.

Phil Forrest

If you cut into the metal of the LTM Ultron 35, it's brass, largely through and through.

Phil Forrest

I never did that with mine, but as you know there are two different versions of this lens, one with a "wavy" focus handle and the other with a "flat" focus handle. My version has a wavy focus grip. For some reason I find the metal that comes off from under the paint too shiny. Brass is said to be more brown and dull, also because of oxidation. Before painting brass it usually is chemically treated to become dull. Also brass lenses are much heavier, see the Color Skopar 50mm f2.5.

Erik.

I think at one time all the ltm lenses were brass. I've seen brassed of the following -- 35/1.7, 35/1.2, 50/1.5, 28/1.9, 28/3.5. But then I once saw a worn earlier 35/1.2 which really looked like aluminum curling. The two 35's I have (f/1.2 and 1.7) are black painted brass. I do like them. So much better made then the other company that begins with the letter ...

I think at one time all the ltm lenses were brass. I've seen brassed of the following -- 35/1.7, 35/1.2, 50/1.5, 28/1.9, 28/3.5.

I can say for certain that the LTM 50/1.5 is NOT brass. As stated earlier, the black version is paint over gold anodised aluminium.
When the paint wears, golden anodised material becomes visible and may resemble brass - but it isn't.
I imagine that this was not the only lens Voigtländer used this technique.
Late Tom Abrahamsson, who had a close relationship with the Cosina CEO, explained this some years ago, and it should be somewhere in the archives.

I can say for certain that the LTM 50/1.5 is NOT brass. As stated earlier, the black version is paint over gold anodised aluminium.
When the paint wears, golden anodised material becomes visible and may resemble brass - but it isn't.
Late Tom Abrahamsson, who had a close relationship with the Cosina CEO, explained this some years ago, and it should be somewhere in the archives.

Ok, never owned the 50/1.5 ltm, but have seen pics that sure make it look brassed. Ha, ha, maybe I need to buy one, you know, just to resolve this brass issue. Still a great value though.

Wich version of the 35mm f1.7 do you mean, version 1 (flat focusing ring) version 2 (wavy focusing ring), version 3 (see picture) or version 4 (see small picture)?

Erik.

The Ultron, green box, Leica thread mount with a MFD of 0.9. Mine is clean, just got it, never used, but I've seen pics that make others look brassed. I was just going to go out and shoot today with the 1.2 big brother (or sister). Now that I drop the little one on the scale, about 209 g, maybe that's not heavy enough for a brass. My 1.2 looks brassed, but maybe that's just the "gold anodized aluminum" showing through. You guys have made me doubt everything!

I think this is correct.

I have some versions of the 35mm f1.7, none of them is in brass. However, the LTM-lenses Color-Skopar 50mm f2.5, Color-Skopar 28mm f3.5 and (new) Heliar 40mm f2.8 are in brass and are black painted. It would be nice if Cosina makes a 35mm f2.8 in brass/black paint too. Brass/black paint brightline viewfinders for all these lenses are also urgently wanted.

Reactions: dct
Back