Bronica EC or Mamiya C220

Shab

Well-known
Local time
8:41 PM
Hi,

this thread is just for fun.

I will go on holidays with my daugther and sons for a week. So I decided to take the M5 with me (21mm and 35mm ULTRONs). And for 6x6 I can't decide between the Bronica EC + 75mm and the Mamiya C220 + 80mm.

I know I will decide on the last minute, but what would you take with you?

If you want to share your opinion...

I will decide in the last minute, and it will be an emotional decision, as always.

Best regards,
Xabier.

personally I always hated shooting the Mamiya TLRs - all of them

The Bronica EC TL2 is one of my favorite 6x6 cameras.

If the Bronica is as loud as the S2A, then I think I'd opt for the Mamiya, if discreetness is important. Can't go wrong either way.

If the Bronica is as loud as the S2A, then I think I'd opt for the Mamiya, if discreetness is important. Can't go wrong either way.

The EC TL's are relatively quiet -- the Mamiyaflex is quieter.

Still, carrying a camera around the size of a refrigerator is not that descreet or convenient.

I think either camera will be fun to have along, but I'd say that if you're going to take the EC make sure the battery is in good order. I'd hate for you to have to run around looking for a 6v battery while on holidays.

Other alternative is to take neither and just survive with the M5. I know - where’s the fun in that :)

Neither one is exactly svelte.... that's why i love the Rolleiflex size 6x6 camera when pairing with an M. I loved the results & flexibility of the Mamiya C 330.....but never loved the bulk. I think i'm with Vince...... M5 & bring some TMax 100 along with your fast film

personally I always hated shooting the Mamiya TLRs - all of them

The Bronica EC TL2 is one of my favorite 6x6 cameras.
My best 6x6 photographs have been made with the Bronica EC. I love his Nikkor-P 75mm 2.8 lens.

But it weights a lot... and the C220 is easier to carry (for me) and is a really silent camera.

The EC sounds like a BIG GUN... it's true, but I will use it for my Domestic Symphony and my "subjects" know its sound very well!

I think either camera will be fun to have along, but I'd say that if you're going to take the EC make sure the battery is in good order. I'd hate for you to have to run around looking for a 6v battery while on holidays.

Other alternative is to take neither and just survive with the M5. I know - where’s the fun in that :)
I have some batteries for it. No problem! But thank you!

I have thought about taking the M5 alone... less is more, but the pictures I make with a 6x6 camera are so different... but only one camera is a good idea.

Neither one is exactly svelte.... that's why i love the Rolleiflex size 6x6 camera when pairing with an M. I loved the results & flexibility of the Mamiya C 330.....but never loved the bulk. I think i'm with Vince...... M5 & bring some TMax 100 along with your fast film

I have tried three Rolleiflexes... and my experiences weren't so good: spectacular lens but mechanical problem, very poor viewfinder... no my cameras.

I use Kentmere 400, at 200 ASA for high contrast scenes and at 1250 ASA for low contrast. Maybe I would try the TMax100 but it would be a next time. Thank you!

I have some batteries for it. No problem! But thank you!
. less is more, but the pictures I make with a 6x6 camera are so different... but only one camera is a good idea.

You are so right about the photos. Sorry to hear of your Rolleiflex experience....i never had any issues with the 3 or 4 i've owned... & my Rolleiflex T , after service, has been super reliable for over 10 years.

The last minute has come and I've decided: keep it simple! Only the M5 with the ULTRONs and some Kentmere 400ASA rolls! :)

Thanks Vince for the idea and to all for sharing your thoughts!

The last minute has come and I've decided: keep it simple! Only the M5 with the ULTRONs and some Kentmere 400ASA rolls! :)

Thanks Vince for the idea and to all for sharing your thoughts!

Of course! I know about the temptation to want to ‘bring it all’.

I will go on holidays with my daugther and sons for a week. So I decided to take the M5 with me (21mm and 35mm ULTRONs). And for 6x6 I can't decide between the Bronica EC + 75mm and the Mamiya C220 + 80mm.

I know I will decide on the last minute, but what would you take with you?

When I shot lots of weddings, I preferred the Mamiya C220 + 80mm because compared to a 6x6 SLR, it was quiet.

Now that I no longer shoot weddings, I use a Mamiya RB67 SLR.

For holiday travel when I know I will be shooting landscapes, the only medium format camera I carry is a 6x9cm Fuji rangefinder with a 65mm lens.

For holiday travel when I knew I will be shooting my daughters, son, wife, and our travels, I would only carry my Leica M6 with 35mm, 21mm, and 90mm lenses. Did not really need a medium format.

Three-Lens Rangefinder Kit by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Back