Bronica RF645 film advance lever was going wonky

Trappedin DC

Local time
9:00 PM
I thought I was facing the dreaded but typical advance lever break down. Having to use way too much force to advance film, grinding gritty feeling and noise. Advancing past 1 randomly all the way up to 3, 4, 5 before lever stops and cocks the shutter.

I did a Bing search and after hours of looking and trying different combos of search words I came across someone on Flickr who’s name I didn’t record and who I’m having trouble finding again. He found that the supply side receptor shaft (Bronica’s nomenclature) had tightened up over time and he couldn’t turn it without a lot of force. He fixed his by removing the feed side receptor nut, removing the receptor (I’m sure there’s a better word for that part) and placing a micro sized washer under it to create space between the bottom of the receptor and the camera body.

I took mine apart, applied Blue Loctite to the nut and screwed it back in until the spool receptor was snug then backed off until it spun freely but not sloppily. Now film loads properly, there’s no funny noises and everything is nice and smooth. The only thing I have to do is short stroke the advance if I want it to stop at 1. Full slow strokes go past 1 to 2.

I don’t know if this is a permanent fix but it did put the camera back on its feet.

Caution: there are 2 almost invisible washers on the shaft of the retainiing nut.

D80FC777-072A-44C9-86B4-91F5C9F1D517 by Bob Smith, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs! I currently have no issues with mine, but will save this as reference in case I also need it some day. It would really be helpful to see the photos. Thanks again!

Thanks for the inputs! I currently have no issues with mine, but will save this as reference in case I also need it some day. It would really be helpful to see the photos. Thanks again!

I’ll get them on here in a few days. Just check the spindle receptor from time to time and make sure it spins freely. I had to buy set of micro bits to get a flathead bit to fit the slot in the retainer nut.

I thought I was facing the dreaded but typical advance lever break down. Having to use way too much force to advance film, grinding gritty feeling and noise. Advancing past 1 randomly all the way up to 3, 4, 5 before lever stops and cocks the shutter.

I did a Bing search and after hours of looking and trying different combos of search words I came across someone on Flickr whos name I didnt record and who Im having trouble finding again. He found that the supply side receptor shaft (Bronicas nomenclature) had tightened up over time and he couldnt turn it without a lot of force. He fixed his by removing the feed side receptor nut, removing the receptor (Im sure theres a better word for that part) and placing a micro sized washer under it to create space between the bottom of the receptor and the camera body.

I took mine apart, applied Blue Loctite to the nut and screwed it back in until the spool receptor was snug then backed off until it spun freely but not sloppily. Now film loads properly, theres no funny noises and everything is nice and smooth. The only thing I have to do is short stroke the advance if I want it to stop at 1. Full slow strokes go past 1 to 2.

I dont know if this is a permanent fix but it did put the camera back on its feet.

Caution: there are 2 almost invisible washers on the shaft of the retainiing nut.

D80FC777-072A-44C9-86B4-91F5C9F1D517 by Bob Smith, on Flickr

I'm so happy I found this post, my RF645 developed the same issue so I'm glad that someone found a fix. Mine camera is at KEH right now and I'm hoping they can fix it. If not, I'll try this way. And I think I found the flicker link that you mentioned.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/99556056@N00/discuss/72157680563567745/

I had winder issues with mine, but it was repaired under warranty. It started getting wonky about a year later, so I sold the entire kit - including the 100 mm lens that I really loved. Great camera - if the winder holds up.

I had winder issues with mine, but it was repaired under warranty. It started getting wonky about a year later, so I sold the entire kit - including the 100 mm lens that I really loved. Great camera - if the winder holds up.

when and where did you get repaired under warranty? With Tamron/Bronica?

Update!

KEH.com was able to fix the problem! Took them 3 weeks but it costed $277 which included shipping. Once I get the camera back, ill post the document of how and what they fixed. I'm happy they fixed it because they offer a warranty for the repair, just in case it breaks again!

Excellent! It's great to know that KEH is still capable of making repairs for the RF645; repair options are few to nonexistent and it's nice to have options.

Quick re-open of this thread. Checked the spool spindle, and it was rotating a bit stiffly. Rather than disassembling the parts, I tried a drop of watch oil, then rotated that with an empty film spool. Worked great, and now spins freely.

Quick re-open of this thread. Checked the spool spindle, and it was rotating a bit stiffly. Rather than disassembling the parts, I tried a drop of watch oil, then rotated that with an empty film spool. Worked great, and now spins freely.
Well, the supply side is quite stiff on my RF645. I bought a small bottle of watch oil to applied a drop, spun it with a spool, applied a second drop and spun some more (maybe 10 minutes) but it's still a little stiff. When you say "spins freely" is there any resistance? TIA.

Well, the supply side is quite stiff on my RF645. I bought a small bottle of watch oil to applied a drop, spun it with a spool, applied a second drop and spun some more (maybe 10 minutes) but it's still a little stiff. When you say "spins freely" is there any resistance? TIA.
Should be even resistance through the entire lever wind. Should not be any point where it feels stuck.

Back