Bronica RF645 orr Fuji GA645

RalphK

Local time
10:03 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a travel-friendly medium format film camera. I came across the Bronica RF645 and Fuji GA645 with AF. I already use a Sony a1 and Minolta CLE (all with Zeiss lenses) and although I cannot find a small medium format camera with Zeiss I would like to get a similar quality. Which one would be your choice?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance :)

Both of these cameras are indeed very travel friendly. The risk is that neither is readily repairable. So, one must decide how much money you can afford to eventually lose. Or, to paraphrase Harry Callahan, “do you feel lucky?”

Both of these cameras are indeed very travel friendly. The risk is that neither is readily repairable. So, one must decide how much money you can afford to eventually lose. Or, to paraphrase Harry Callahan, “do you feel lucky?”

Exactly, and a Hasselblad 500 C/M may be a tad big but not so big or heavy. Get an appropriate bag and it's inobtrusive.
You can spend even more money on the Contax 645 and get a Zeiss 2/80 but the issue of an irreparable camera is even more critical given the higher cost (~$5k at last check).

I vote for the Bronica. This camera has been interesting to me for some time, but I haven't owned one. The lenses are supposed to be phenomenal. But do read up on its quirks. You can mitigate some of the risk by buying from dealer that offers a warranty. You may have to be patient.

Two lovely choices, with the GA645 being relatively flat when the lens is retracted, so it may be easier to stow.

However, if flexible PC board cracks in either, you may find yourself sending the camera off to one of the few people who has new parts fabricated and is willing to deal with the complexities of replacing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn79AYlDR_4

Check out the tiny Konica Pearl IV 6x4.5 folder, the last of the Pearl line, with RF focusing and parallax corrected framelines. The earlier Pearls are pretty sweet, too, but the Pearl IV has the best finder. All mechanical and pretty simple, around $600 for a nice one. Throw in a thorough CLA, if needed, and you'll never need to worry about electronics failing.

Which brings us back to a 500 CM and A16 back…

Well, if the OP wanted to go the SLR route (and it seems he doesn't, understandably), there's the Pentax 645. Much smaller and lighter than a Hassie, TTL metering, very light, compact and good lenses, and dirt cheap. I've fallen in love with them!

The Fuji is going to be more versatile (zoom lens vs slow primes) and be better on your pocket book too.

The Fuji is going to be more versatile (zoom lens vs slow primes) and be better on your pocket book too.

Only if OP gets the GA645Zi, which is the model with the zoom lens. The GA645 and GA645i have a fixed 60mm ƒ/4 and the GA645W and GA645Wi have a fixed 45mm ƒ4 lens.

I've never used the Bronica RF645 but on the strength of my ETRS I would wager it's a good camera. However, the lens selection is purposefully limited and if you don't plan on buying more than one lens, you may consider just getting the GA645 in the focal length of your choosing (45mm, 60mm or 55-90mm zoom) and save space.

The meter of the GA645 tends to get fooled by bright skies but is otherwise accurate in my experience. The autofocus motor makes a very audible grating noise and the film advance is a loud, high pitched whine. Not for use in quiet spaces but if you're outdoors it isn't as loud to bystanders as you might think, being right next to your head. You can mitigate the focus noise by zone focusing. You can also make the camera wait to advance the film by keeping the shutter button held down after you take the shot as you scurry out of earshot. A GA645i costs more money upfront but is supposedly a bit quieter and gives you 16 shots per roll instead of 15.

One thing to be aware of is that, for people like me, the increased size, weight and complexity of medium format cameras slow me down. As does having to meter and adjust exposure manually. As does only having 15 shots and knowing I have to pay for processing. I am more deliberate shooting medium format than 135 or digital (unless I'm traveling out of town I purposefully use an SD card with only 2GB to discourage wasteful shooting). The GA645 by default is fully automatic and the ease of use can make you cavalier like you're shooting a 135 point and shoot. Knowing I only have 15 shots has largely helped me focus on shots worth taking.

Here are some of my favorite shots taken with it so far. Developed in TMAX and scanned with a Noritsu by Indie Film Lab.

Ilford FP4+ rated at 50 ASA.
Untitled by Pierre Saget, on Flickr

Expired Tri-X rated at 100 ASA with EV+1 compensation.

Expired Tri-X rated at 100 ASA with either EV+1/2 or +1 compensation.

Back