Bronica RF645 orr Fuji GA645

The Fuji GS645 are pretty fragile in comparison to the Bronica RF645

The shutter linkage tends to go in those. There are a few people who repair that. Frank Marshman, for instance.
On the RF645, it’s the film advance gearing. I am not aware of anyone who repairs the Bronica.

I've had an RF645 for about 10 years now, purchasing one when I needed a camera for hiking and backpacking that offered a bigger negative than 35mm. This camera has never let me down once and has proven to be very durable. Optics are excellent, probably the best of any 35, MF or LF system I've used. It handles very much like a 35mm camera, and it's not much bigger or heavier than my Nikon F100, The control layout is perfect, RF is easy to focus and the VF and meter display are easy to use. The meter is excellent and I rarely get any under or overexposed frames.
Sure, it's an electronic-dependent camera, but the features and quality of the RF645 make it worth the risk to me. I was lucky enough to get one when prices were half what they are today.
Most of the photos I take in all formats are with medium-wide to short-telephoto lenses, so the 45, 65 and 100mm Bronica lenses are perfect for everything I do with this camera. If I want to go wider or longer, or do macro work, I have an SQ system for that.
If I had to get rid of all my gear, the last 3 to go would be the RF645, a Nikon F and Leica M2. Between those, it would be a tough choice although the Nikon and Leica will probably be serviceable far into the future.

Hats_2_sm.jpg

You could go the small folder route. Here's a couple:

Side-By-Side Zenobia-Ikomat 1 by P F McFarland, on Flickr

The Zenobia on the left is a copy of the Zeiss Ikonta A, and the Ikomat 1 is the progenitor of the Ikonta A. Both (all three, including the Ikonta A) are 4.5x6. Very pocket-able when wearing a jacket. Good lenses and shutters all.

From the Zenobia:

Quiet Course by P F McFarland, on Flickr

You can see more photos of the camera, and examples on Flickr at https://flic.kr/s/aHskawGBHg

You can't go wrong with a compact, fits in the palm 645 that doesn't have any electronics.

PF

The shutter linkage tends to go in those. There are a few people who repair that. Frank Marshman, for instance.
On the RF645, it’s the film advance gearing. I am not aware of anyone who repairs the Bronica.

KEH just fixed my bad battery door on Bronica RF645.

Last edited:
I have both the Bronica RF645 and the Fuji GA645. I enjoy them in different ways. Both have given me excellent photos, and both lenses are just spectacular. The Fuji is a perfect travel camera, with a very good meter, and no thinking auto everything. You just concentrate on composition, which is the most important aspect of photography IMO. You can use it in manual mode, but it's difficult, as you need an extra hand and extra fingers to push the right buttons.
I use the Bronica when I want to have control over the whole process of taking photos, from the focusing, to the exposure selection. The camera controls are a joy to use, butter smooth, and it gives me a lot of tactile satisfaction. As a mechanical engineer, I truly appreciate how well the camera works. But..it has given me a lot of trouble. Right after I bought it used on eBay, the flexible control board fried and I had to send it to Tamron in Japan to get it fixed, as no one would touch it here in US. Expensive to get it done. Last year the advance lever, a know problem with the RF645, stopped working. Walter's Camera Repairs in LA was able to tackle the job at very steep price, and now I have a working camera again. I justify all the trouble I went trough with it by the satisfaction of the result I get from it. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with the Fuji and spare myself a lot of headaches.

Possible flex PC issues aside:

Fuji GA645 and GA645zi likes: With lens retracted, they were flat packages which I could stow in a front pocket of my Domke satchel (also true of Mamiya 6 w/75 mm lens, BTW). Easiest-ever 120 film loading. Some models will imprint exposure data outside of image area of film. Mostly delivered on the promise of medium format quality combined with point 'n shoot ease.

Not so crazy about: Autofocus is early aughties technology and wants light + contrast to do it's thing. Moving subjects? Nope! Moderately noisy in operation. Molded grip area on my GA645zi's back developed hairline cracks, and this was back in 2005.

Have not had the opportunity to shoot with Bronica RF645, but I own and have serviced Bronica ETRSi. ETR leaf shutter lenses are practically maintenance-free, because most of the complexities of shutter timing are handled electronically, within the camera body - gotta love those Seiko electronic shutters.

Back