Bronica RF645 vs Fuji GW690iii

My enlarger (Omega B-22) accommodates max size 6x6 negative. I leave the Chromega color head on all the time as the filters work with variable contrast black and white paper.

That leaves 6x9 out for me.

6x4.5 is kind of like 35mm format as you can turn the camera depending on what kind of photograph you want to make. With 6x6 no need to think about turning the camera.

Depends what you want to photograph.

I like 6x6 anyway. I can make square prints, such as 8x8, or 11x11 for a different look, using the entire 6x6 negative.

From your description of needs, you do not want a Bronica 645RF. It was rushed in development and manufacture to get into the market to save Bronica before the company failed. It did not save Bronica. It hit the market with flaws, some you describe, which might have been corrected over time, making in the event a great camera. If you want a compact 645 fixed lens camera for light travel, look at the series of Fuji GA645 cameras, or if manual the GS645 series. The Fuji GW series comes in 95mm and 65mm. The lenses in all of the Fuji cameras I mention here are outstanding. My personal choice would be my GA645Zi (limited zoom lens). I have also and can recommend the earlier GS645 (75mm folder) or GS645W (45mm, equ of 28mm in 135 format). I do not like the GS645S for unfamiliar folks because they are highly breakable, and many used ones in the market are terminally broken.

I second that.
Years ago when the Bronica RF645 was new I handled one in the store with a mis-aligned rangefinder and didn’t feel confident buying it.
Last month I ordered a “mint” RF645 from Japan with a 45mm lens and a flash. With the shipping, taxes and fees I payed almost $2,000. The camera looked good, but didn’t work :bang: The rangefinder was mis-aligned(fixable), the film advance mechanism didn’t work (if fixable, expensive and with a questionable long term reliability) and the electronics didn’t work (non-fixable).
I think I am done playing roulette trying to find a working Bronica RF645.
As a side note, it occurred to me why the prices of the camera have gone up - it’s a fragile camera and there are fewer working cameras left, so the scarceness drives the prices up.
Some of the other posters above gave good information on alternative choices. For travel I would explore the Fuji GS cameras as Randy Stewart suggests or if you need bigger negatives, the more expensive Plaubel Makina cameras(like the Fuji they come with a normal and wide angle fixed lenses).
I will stick with mechanical camera. I have Fuji GS645 Pro and Plaubel Makina 67 with the 80mm f/2.8 Nikkor lens. They both have bellows and require caution when handling, however if something goes wrong they can potentially be fixed.
Good luck finding the right camera for you and let us know how the camera(s) you chose work(s) for you.

Last edited:
I second that.
Years ago when the Bronica RF645 was new I handled one in the store with a mis-aligned rangefinder and didn’t feel confident buying it.
Last month I ordered a “mint” RF645 from Japan with a 45mm lens and a flash. With the shipping, taxes and fees I payed almost $2,000. The camera looked good, but didn’t work :bang: The rangefinder was mis-aligned(fixable), the film advance mechanism didn’t work (if fixable, expensive and with a questionable long term reliability) and the electronics didn’t work (non-fixable).
I think I am done playing roulette trying to find a working Bronica RF645.
As a side note, it occurred to me why the prices of the camera have gone up - it’s a fragile camera and there are fewer working cameras left, so the scarceness drives the prices up.
Some of the other posters above gave good information on alternative choices. For travel I would explore the Fuji GS cameras as Randy Stewart suggests or if you need bigger negatives, the more expensive Plaubel Makina cameras(like the Fuji they come with a normal and wide angle fixed lenses).
I will stick with mechanical camera. I have Fuji GS645 Pro and Plaubel Makina 67 with the 80mm f/2.8 Nikkor lens. They both have bellows and require caution when handling, however if something goes wrong they can potentially be fixed.
Good luck finding the right camera for you and let us know how the camera(s) you chose work(s) for you.

Thanks. Yes I have taken a better look at the Fuji GS 645 and it's sweet, and probably given its popularity the price has gone up. At where I live, it would cost around 500 USD for a good copy. But it's still relatively affordable when comparing with other options.

Now on my list are:
- Fuji GS 645
- Fuji GW 690iii : can't let it pass for what you pay for. About 1k USD.

Fuji GF670 is another that I really like, but it has electronic shutter but it's quite recent. Another option is that I add a bit more for a good copy of Makina 67. But honestly speaking, Makina has this toy camera looking, makes me think of Lomo type of cameras. Sexy wise GF670 is very sexy in my opinion.

Funny that I end up all Fuji.

I absolutely love my Linhof 612 PCll, brilliant camera.

It's the true "texas leica." lol

A bit of an crazy idea... how about I up a notch and get the Linhof 612 panorama... it's current and 6x12! Possible to handheld, size isn't too bad and mechanical I would guess. Exquisite for sure just expensive.

Anyone has real life experience on this? A near mint mamiya 7ii with 2 lenses would cost similar where I live which is pretty crazy.

Yes, zone focus is very easy.
I do shoot it handheld, it's heavy, but very well balanced and the spirit level is viewable in the finder.

The leaf shutter certainly helps shooting at lower shutter speeds as well.

Always wanted the Linhof 6x12 since back in the 80's..when I briefly looked one over..

A bit big..but like the format...
They are pretty expensive now used..
Most come with the 65mm..but I would probably want something wider..
Maybe some day..

Yes, zone focus is very easy.
I do shoot it handheld, it's heavy, but very well balanced and the spirit level is viewable in the finder.

The leaf shutter certainly helps shooting at lower shutter speeds as well.

I mean for focusing you can only guess like there is no like rangefinder type of split or any other sort of focus confirmation?

No, just a VF. I guess you could always use some type of RF if you wanted to know the exact distance.

With the modest lens aperture, generally you're shooting at f8+, there's no problem zone focusing.

I mean for focusing you can only guess like there is no like rangefinder type of split or any other sort of focus confirmation?

Looked into Makina 670, very interesting, I didn't pay attention about this camera as I have never heard about this brand but apparently some people claim it's the best mechanical rangefinder there is.

Looked into it more, it does check all the boxes. Good lens, mechanical and with meter! This is a huge plus! Not sure why Fuji 690 didn't add one, and it's quite portable, best of all it's still serviceable. The con about this camera is that some people say it's not as durable. But so long it's serviceable it's a huge plus!

Came across this seller that wants 2400 usd for a mint one. Very good condition fully functional and comes with all papers and boxes and the hood. What do you guys think? Definitely not cheap but my rationale is that there are less and less 670 in good condition so probably a good idea to snatch one up? For Fuji 690 I feel there are many out there if I want to switch there is always a chance. Does it make sense?

No, just a VF. I guess you could always use some type of RF if you wanted to know the exact distance.

With the modest lens aperture, generally you're shooting at f8+, there's no problem zone focusing.

Thanks. Then it's not really for me cuz I won't be just doing landscape.

Eddy, I'm a fan of the Plaubel. I've owned 3. When they're closed up, they're a brick and would be a good weapon in a bar fight. The lens is fabulous. As with any folder you have to be careful opening & closing it. On mine, the meters always worked but because of the folding nature apparently the meter wiring can break. $2400 is pretty much average for a 670...which i prefer. They're not as ergonomic as say the Mamiya 6, but you get a lot in a small portable package. I'm about to buy another one as I think it's a perfect pair for mountain travel, paired with a Leica M with a 35. Love printing off the big negs. BTW my favourite Fuji was the rangefinder 680....love that format.

Eddy, I'm a fan of the Plaubel. I've owned 3. When they're closed up, they're a brick and would be a good weapon in a bar fight. The lens is fabulous. As with any folder you have to be careful opening & closing it. On mine, the meters always worked but because of the folding nature apparently the meter wiring can break. $2400 is pretty much average for a 670...which i prefer. They're not as ergonomic as say the Mamiya 6, but you get a lot in a small portable package. I'm about to buy another one as I think it's a perfect pair for mountain travel, paired with a Leica M with a 35. Love printing off the big negs

Thanks for the heads up.

Do you agree the Nikkor lens is stunning like what people claim? I have to admit, film cameras to me is not just for photo it's also a collectible hobby. I won't shoot intensively so it should hold up fine and I assume they didn't sell that many back then comparing to big brands so probably a good idea to snatch one up in good condition for occasional shooting and as collectible.

The lens is great although I never used it much at 2.8. I was once in a store in Toyko that had a cabinet with 10 or 15 of them. I would have loved to buy both a 670 W and the 670, but just got the 670. They are a very finely built camera.

If money is no object, I think you'd be happiest with a Mamiya 7. Otherwise I can recommend the Fuji GW690 II or III. Add the Voigtländer VC Meter on top and you have a nice setup. Skip the Bronica.

Here's the thing about the Fuji (I have a GW690II): *If* you like the format, it's a great camera. The lens renders very nicely and the ergonomics are also quite good. That being said, it's not necessarily a camera you will fall in love with. The rangefinder patch could be better and the shutter sounds a bit tinny. I have one and wouldn't let it go, even though I rarely use it (I use a Mamiya RZ67 or Hasselblad 503cw most of the time). I got it for $250 at a flea market, though, and I don't know how I'd feel if I had paid more.

As for the GF670: I had one (actually a Bessa III) which I bought when it came out but I sold it after a little more than a year. The lens is very sharp, although I found that it's a bit harsh in the way it renders the out of focus parts. Also, the camera doesn't feel very solid and I didn't feel comfortable walking around with the lens extended for too long so I constantly was folding and unfolding the camera. The viewfinder is very nice, though, and the shutter is near silent.

Jamie, It's always hard to tell what someone will bond with. I loved the Mamiya 6 and expected i'd like the 7 as well but i did not. I missed the collapsing lens feature which made the 6 so small and sleek. I don't love the Fuji's but i love the results & i prefer the 6x8 (especially) or 6x9 to the more boxy 6x7 aspect ratio. The portability and mechanics of the Plaubel is what's lead me back to the 670. I've travelled a lot with the Fujis on skiis and climbing and in general travel in Europe and they're unquestionably bulky. As with all choices....there is no free lunch.

The Plaubel was on my shopping list while I was shopping for a travel medium format camera. I ended up crossing it off because the bokeh can be harsh wide open. The rangefinder patch has fuzzy edges, too, if you have a preference.

It was a solid feeling brick, though. I liked the focusing dial around the shutter button.

If money is no object, I think you'd be happiest with a Mamiya 7. Otherwise I can recommend the Fuji GW690 II or III. Add the Voigtländer VC Meter on top and you have a nice setup. Skip the Bronica.

Here's the thing about the Fuji (I have a GW690II): *If* you like the format, it's a great camera. The lens renders very nicely and the ergonomics are also quite good. That being said, it's not necessarily a camera you will fall in love with. The rangefinder patch could be better and the shutter sounds a bit tinny. I have one and wouldn't let it go, even though I rarely use it (I use a Mamiya RZ67 or Hasselblad 503cw most of the time). I got it for $250 at a flea market, though, and I don't know how I'd feel if I had paid more.

As for the GF670: I had one (actually a Bessa III) which I bought when it came out but I sold it after a little more than a year. The lens is very sharp, although I found that it's a bit harsh in the way it renders the out of focus parts. Also, the camera doesn't feel very solid and I didn't feel comfortable walking around with the lens extended for too long so I constantly was folding and unfolding the camera. The viewfinder is very nice, though, and the shutter is near silent.

Thanks for your input Jaime. I like Mamiya for sure (I like 6 more than 7) but the fact that it's electronic shutter and it's pretty much not serviceable makes me can't justify the price. I can get lucky with a good copy that would last for long or I can get unlucky that it just turns into a brick that's why when it comes to vintage camera I always go for mechanical ones.

Thank you all for your advice.

Funny that I ended up buying a makina 67. When I started this thread I didn't even know this camera.

Was eyeing a 670 but I found 67 is way cheaper. Now waiting for it to arrive.

3a8c5e19a46b52dbd0b94bd82ceee225.jpg

I had a Mamiya 7ii and sold it because I literally could see no difference in quality between it and my Bronica RF 645 from a resolution standpoint and the Bronica has far better ergonomics, a much better meter, fantastic program mode, and in the 3 years I have had it has been 100% reliable, while I had to repair my Mamiya 7ii twice.

Don’t believe the bull crap people say about 645 not offering much more than 35mm. A 645 negative is nearly 3x the size of 35mm and makes a huge difference in resolution.

I will keep my Bronica RF 645 until either it or I die.

Back